Advice on tires for a 2015 Ram 3500

Durango

Adventurer
My thanks to all. You've given me a lot to think about.

BTW, don't try to spec and order a new truck during model year changeover. Every Ram salesperson is telling me a different story. Even their internal computer ordering programs are screwed up. Now several are saying I can only get a 3.73 with the 6.4 and the 4.10 isn't available! Wassup with that???

I'll keep you all posted on this ongoing drama and thanks again!

Steve

PS Talk about drama! On the way to Denver my dear wife of 39 years (who has always hated diesels) goes, "Honey, why don't we just go with diesel?" weird.

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
Unless it's an EPA thing, you can get any gear you want with any package you want. Otherwise, you'd just buy a truck off the lot and save a ton of cash. Then again, I could never get a taco without sour creme in Mexico......

I'd just go to Dodges website and see if they have a "truck builder page". Take note of all the features on each model, and make a list of everything you want. If they can't combine the tires, gear, and trim package you want, then walk on over to Ford.

I know for a fact I can special order any part, normally available at the factory, on a Ford. And a few parts, like aftermarket tires, that aren't normal. So if I want XLT headlights, chrome bumpers, and XLT wheels on a basic XL work truck, that's exactly what I get. Obviously, EPA and safety regs limit certain things. You can't special order over sized Cooper STT's, those have to be swapped at the dealer level.

Last edited:

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
Weird. I've never even SEEN a taco with sour cream in Mexico. What part of the country are you familiar with?

The plush resort side that doesn't kidnap my children. I know that doesn't count as real Mexico. This years family spring trip is Key West. :snorkel:

I was taking a stab at the competence of Mexican factories.

Durango

Adventurer
If you tow relatively slow, it's even more important to get shorter gears. With the 3.73s and a .63 OD ratio, 6th would be absolutely useless at that speed, and very likely 5th as well, on anything but flat ground with a tailwind...
Sigh. Ram is just being totally difficult with "material shortages" on the 4.10. I really wanted the Ram 6.4 for the optional dual alternator 380 amp set-up. (We're not putting solar on the camper.)

So is a lower axle ratio important enough to switch over to Ford with their 4.30 locking axle ratio? The max charge rate they offer is a 220 amp heavy duty alternator.

Thanks for all the help and advice,
Steve

RoyJ

Adventurer
Sigh. Ram is just being totally difficult with "material shortages" on the 4.10. I really wanted the Ram 6.4 for the optional dual alternator 380 amp set-up. (We're not putting solar on the camper.)

So is a lower axle ratio important enough to switch over to Ford with their 4.30 locking axle ratio? The max charge rate they offer is a 220 amp heavy duty alternator.

Steve

Personally, there are other reasons that makes me pick the Ram - an awesome, 50 ksi, fully boxed and hydroformed frame, the disconnecting front axle, and beefy 11.75" rear axle. No to mention the available rear air spring and the fuel efficient and powerful 6.4 Hemi.

It's a tough choice, but I'd stick with the Ram.

BTW, if you're planning to use the alternators for charging your battery bank, use BIG cables to ensure efficient charging. At least 1/0 gauge. It doesn't matter if you have 1000 amps of alternators, if your cable is too small, the voltage loss would make charging really inefficient.

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
Personally, there are other reasons that makes me pick the Ram - an awesome, 50 ksi, fully boxed and hydroformed frame, the disconnecting front axle, and beefy 11.75" rear axle. No to mention the available rear air spring and the fuel efficient and powerful 6.4 Hemi.

It's a tough choice, but I'd stick with the Ram.

BTW, if you're planning to use the alternators for charging your battery bank, use BIG cables to ensure efficient charging. At least 1/0 gauge. It doesn't matter if you have 1000 amps of alternators, if your cable is too small, the voltage loss would make charging really inefficient.

Boxed frame? Do not want. Weird that Dodge went to a boxed frame on a HD truck. Pain mounting bodies, air suspension, and water/fuel tanks to those. Less flex as well.

You're the 1st person I've heard of that likes an axle that half disconnects. The Fords have manual hubs, or vacuum actuated and manual hubs on the electric transfer case models.

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer

Steve

Yeah. 4.30 rules. Wish I had that ratio and the Ford E locker.

You can replace the alternator with an aftermarket one yourself in about an hour. It's super easy. But I really wouldn't sweat it. Why do you need such huge alternators? 220 amps is plenty for all kinds of abusive trailers I've pulled.

I never liked dual alternators. I keep my 2nd alternator under my back seat next to my 2nd starter.

DiploStrat

Expedition Leader
Nitto offers a 4,000 lb. rated tire in 295/70x18. I run the AT tread "Terra Grappler" but there is also an MT "Trail Grappler." Very happy at 11,000 miles.

And you really DO want solar; you will never charge your camper batteries without it or shore power.

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
I would stick with the Ram too, in new trucks. I just don't care for the new Fords or GMs. I also agree on the alternator thing. Your battery charge will only last so long in the camper, and if you are driving every day, a single 180 or 220 amp alt will charge it just fine. If you're NOT driving at least 3 or 4 hours each day, solar is for sure the way to go. Look at portable solar kits. That way you can park the camper in the shade, and move your panels with the sun for max efficiency.

MT6bt

Rock hound
I agree on the 4.10s. I would consider Toyo AT II tires as well. They are a great tire!
I second that. I will be buying these as my second set (ran at 1s) and was pleased with overall traction and tire life. I know someone mentioned the cooper STTs earlier but I wouldn't recommend them for a fullsize. The rubber is too soft and I'm not sure how long they'd last on a 10, 000 lb truck but they barely made it over the 30k mark on my 2000 4runner which weighs less than half as much. They're a great tire though. I'd highly recommend them on any light half sized truck/suv. The folks at a cooper tire factory also draw the same conclusion and often scoffed when big trucks use the STTs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior