Opinions on a '00

oamnyc

I've been lurking here for a couple months now and I'm starting to take a look at some 100's. I'm new to overlanding in general but have gone on a few trips with some friends and I'm hooked. I'd like to do a moderate build to do some light to medium overlanding, nothing too crazy. I'd also like to use it as a daily.

So I went to take a look at a '00 tonight and the body and interior look really clean, however I have 2 concerns one is the rust underneath. Is this pretty typical for a vehicle of this age from the Northeast? Also I've attached a picture of the rear tailgate. The handle on the rear window lift was missing and the metal protrusions the handle would snap onto was rusted. Also the paint around where the handle would be was pitted, not sure if you can see it clear in the picture. Looks like some water got in there? Is that possible? Thanks!
Ay1wcRSl.jpg

MPZIIGXl.jpg

99KNgGyl.jpg

VcQSKFCl.jpg

aSfNophl.jpg

uNY3kKhl.jpg

i7kFNe3l.jpg

Dbb6y3Kl.jpg

rC4pGNil.jpg

WnXjUw4l.jpg

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
That is definitely accelerated rust for that era based on the ones I generally see but it's not the worst either. The NE is hard on trucks... I'd personally walk if it is something you want to build and keep for a long time, it would be a broken bolt nightmare under that beast.

SmoothLC

Explorer
Yikes - those control arms look like they will be the first to go.

Go for something out of NM or Arizona if possible

BigSwede

The Credible Hulk
I have had a truck from Massachusetts and a truck from Texas...it was worth the drive to get the one from TX every time I go to turn a bolt underneath.

DenCo40

Adventurer
Don't buy one that has rust. Its a shame to see such a nice cruiser with rust. Rust just means work and it's never ending.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz