Salsa Fargo Ti Long Term Review

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
IMG_70012_zps6d857ae5.jpg

What a great bike. You can read my final thoughts after nearly a year on this bike here: http://expeditionportal.com/long-term-wrap-up-salsa-fargo-ti/

I have to admit, 2,000 miles is not a great deal of time on this bike. But, once I got the Bucksaw it was a very hard choice every day deciding which bike to ride. Still...I almost have to flip a coin each day to decide.

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
The more I ride their bikes, the deeper my appreciation. I just really like what they do. They rock the adventure by bike mode with authenticity. But, they've been very fun partners with ExPo and OJ, which makes it all the more easy to jump on their wagon.
Just wondering...are you sponsored by Salsa?

fortel

Adventurer
Sweet ride.

What's your take on the Thudbuster seatpost? I've gone back and forth on whether to add one or not. I ride a Stumpjumper Comp 29er hardtail and my 54 year old back keeps yelling for a full-suspension ride, unfortunately there is no budget for that.

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
Sweet ride.

What's your take on the Thudbuster seatpost? I've gone back and forth on whether to add one or not. I ride a Stumpjumper Comp 29er hardtail and my 54 year old back keeps yelling for a full-suspension ride, unfortunately there is no budget for that.
I dig it. I remember trying a Thudbuster years ago, probably 12 years, and really hating it. I think at that time it was being positioned as a suspension solution to some degree, and as such was doomed to fail. I'm a relatively lean rider at 6' and only 165 pounds, so I went with the medium elastomer. It has considerable movement even under my modest weight, but not so much to feel strange or disruptive. It does attenuate the ride considerably. I'd liken it to riding with 5 less psi in my tires. All in all, I can find no faults with it.

fortel

Adventurer
Good info. I know it can't substitute for a full-sus bike, but all I'm looking for is something to take a little edge off when I don't get out of the saddle quite in time before hitting a root or rock in the trail.

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
Good info. I know it can't substitute for a full-sus bike, but all I'm looking for is something to take a little edge off when I don't get out of the saddle quite in time before hitting a root or rock in the trail.
With that expectation, I think you'd like it. I hate overly padded saddles, so the Thudbuster does just what you would ask of it - take the edge off.

S

Squatchout

Thanks for the write up. I've been lusting for a Fargo for a while. Loved your steel build up. I may be retiring soon. If I can swing that I think I might have to get myself a new Fargo as a retirement present. Not sure I can swing the Ti but maybe.

Fortel for the purpose you asked about here is another option for taking the sting out of bumps.
http://www.wallbike.com/brooks/saddles/brooks-champion-flyer-special-saddle

They are a bit heavy, and not cheap. But so comfortable and last a lifetime if cared for. For some they may be too heavy for hard core technical riding. I have 2 of them and love them for all around general riding. Sprung stiff enough for big folks and no monkey motion geometry changes like some of the seatpost designs.

fortel

Adventurer
I rode a Brooks a long time ago on my first touring bike and really liked it. As far as suspension seatposts go, I know most are pretty jacked up and the Thudbuster is the only one I would consider. I'm currently running 2.4 tires (big as would clear the seat stays) aired down some and that is helping so I may just run that set up for a while and see.

But back to the subject of the thread, I do really like what Salsa is doing with their bike line and if I can get the funds for a new bike I will look heavy at their offerings.

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
I'm going to say it because I can't help myself - I can't stand Brooks seats. :)

I tried to like them years ago. I had one on my mountain bike not all too long ago, and again, couldn't wait to get it off my bike at the end of the season.

Carry on. :bike_rider:

S

Squatchout

Yep saddle are very personal. One mans trash is anothers treasure. I'm a big boned guy and what many of my smaller buds ride are basically supositories for me. My seat bones are wide. I like wide flat saddles in the back. It's one of the things I like about Brooks. They give you many fit options.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles