What is "needed" for an Overland Vehicle

Theprofessional

Silent Footfalls
What is needed?
Fuel
oil
coolant
et cetera.

oh, and knowing how to drive it in order to get your vehicle into the places you want to take it.
I mean, look at the stunts the Top Gear team have done in some of the more rugged places in the world.

toymaster

Explorer
First, overlanding is vehicle supported expeditions. Very similar to camping and other weekend activity. The difference is where your 'support' comes from i.e. the local walmart, fishing lake general store, or out of your vehicle during the expedition. I would place a quote in here and a link to this site's proper definition but that page was not found with my recent search; I've informed the powers that be of this. References and the quality of the reference and all that academic stuff.

Here is the website' definition of overlanding compared to car camping and weekend excursions. http://overlandjournal.com/overlanding/what_is_overlanding/

reachdean

Observer
Based on my own experience (staff as part of the 2007 Tour d'Afrique, a 12,000km bicycle trip from Cairo, Egypt to Cape Town, South Africa) You can do this with just about any car you so choose. I do a fair bit of hiking and canoe tripping, so I already have gear I'm comfortable with, and that I can generally carry on my back. That means all I NEED is a car that can carry my backpack or a large duffel. Add in a water jug, and a tool kit/recovery kit for the car.

Go for reliability, get some driver training and go from there.

The other things I learned travelling in Africa is that all Land Rovers in remote locations are broken and stripped for parts. Bicycles combine better than walking speed with better than car/motorcycle interaction with locals. Beat to crap old hilux 2wd pickups are how most Africans get around, from the desert sand of Sudan to sharp lava rock of northern Kenya, all the way down to Cape Town.

Last edited:

Byrnie Mac

Observer
Honestly, the more I read about the travels people embark on, all you really 'need' per se, is a sense of adventure, and a horizon to persue. The rest is extra.

If you are traveling by vehicle, I still stand by my brakes comment.

I'd start small/low commitment, and see how you like it. I loved all my big old 4x4's, but I don't miss the gas, wrenching, and cost to replace things like big tires. That said, I didn't get any education past high school, so I look at the costs a bit, compared to folks who can afford those awesome military truck based camper/home-base-on-wheels that cost more per tire than a lot of my early vehicles. Anyways, see how you enjoy it, and branch out/grow from there. I love watching videos with all the gear, navigation equipment, recovery gear, RTT's, etc. But, at the end of the day, it's me, the wife, an Impreza wagon, and the same sort of gear I take hiking, canoeing, fatbiking, etc. I can drive on some truly "bad roads", soft-roading, really, but it's no hard core wheeler. If you travel light, are resourceful and can drive pretty well, you'd be surprised where you can go, what you can discover and how much fun it can be. Whatever you get, I second all the comments about knowing the vehicle's nuances. Nip problems in the bud, keep an eye and ear on it each time you drive. Know what it can handle, and what it doesn't like. Know your range in different circumstances. Travel as light as you can get away with, without sacrificing comfort to a point where it's not fun anymore. BE SMART!!! A top shelf rig won't help you read a map better, do remote-ish repairs, recovery or give you any local knowledge. And, the more you do it, the more you can change/upgrade things, or if it's unrealistic, make note of it for the next vehicle purchase when the time comes. "I didn't like this about it, but I loved that..." A 4x4 is great for hauling stuff, going over/through stuff, (money included), and is generally a great deal of fun. However, you can get stuck/broken a lot further from help. Keep this in mind; a super capable rig is not going to get you back out if you need help, either medical or something else that prevents you from driving out. Just hope your help has the same sort of rigs, or a chopper. If you need that, than it's there, but for lesser emergencies, you can't just expect anyone to show up. That said, you are probably not going to get too over your head if it's your first 4x4.

So, to conclude my babble, get what you can afford, can keep running, that will carry what you need/want, and you can safely drive/fit where you are going. And make it better if and when the need arises. And maintain WHATEVER you get! Have fun, learn some skills and see the world!

Scott Brady

Founder
What is needed?

Something with a motor and the spirit of adventure.

I think traveling through Asia in a Rickshaw would be awesome.
http://www.theadventurists.com/rickshaw-run/

Certain conditions require more elaborate modifications, training and equipment, but that is extremely rare (for example, Antarctica).

The Mojave Road can be done in a Subaru with a foam cooler, a used NATO can filled with 20L of unleaded and a few chunks of metal catwalk if you get stuck. Nothing wrong with nice toys, but they should not come at the expense of the adventure itself. . .

EricMcGrew

Adventurer
Everyone before me has stated the same thing that I think as well. Only thing that I would add, is that... While many small cars can, and will, go where you want them too... My first had experience is that you will wrench on them much more. Even on fire roads, washboard gravel road, and so forth. Things like bushings, shocks, balljoints, and even exhaust and the like have a tendency to rattle loose or wear out more frequently. So, while I don't think you should have to have a minimal of clearance, or 4wd, I do think that anyone wanting to enjoy this kind of adventure should truly consider what makes the difference between the vehicles they are thinking about purchasing, and decide if they pros outway the cons.

Also, to answer your question on JEEP, Toyota LC's, and the like. Typically those vehicles are suggested/recomended for a few main factors. They are either considered reliable, to have abundant parts availability, be strong, or a heavy aftermarket accesories support in the market. Many times all of these apply to a particular vehicle. However, I have a Trooper that is strong and reliable, with load capacity, but parts and aftermarket are a challenge. Still, I accept it for what it is. Take it a bit easier maybe, and love it to death. So, you can have fun in anything you choose. A bunch of people travel all of south america in VW Kombis.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94