educate an east coaster on fish tacos

Mike_rupp

Adventurer
All of this discussion about grilled vs fried, and I don't think anyone mentioned home made tortillas. You could have the freshest fish, best sauce, and it will taste mediocre with a store bought corn tortilla.

hrjaw

Explorer
Mike_rupp said:
All of this discussion about grilled vs fried, and I don't think anyone mentioned home made tortillas. You could have the freshest fish, best sauce, and it will taste mediocre with a store bought corn tortilla.

i have never done this. how easy is it to do?:chowtime:

Mike_rupp

Adventurer
Buy a cheap aluminum tortilla press from any Mexican grocery store. Buy some masa for tortillas. Follow the directions on the package to make the dough. Cut out 2 sheets of plastic from a ziploc bag to fit the tortilla press.

Get a golf ball size piece of dough and press between the 2 sheets of plastic. Setup a non-stick frying pan, so that it is on the heat source so that it isn't centered. You want to have a medium heat and high heat section in the frying pan.

Carefully transfer the uncooked tortilla to the cool section and cook for about 15-30 seconds. When the sides appear dry, flip onto the hotter section and cook for about 30 seconds. It should get slightly blotchy underneath. Flip again on the hot side and cook again for about 30 seconds. If you do it right the tortilla will puff up and look like a piece of pita. Vary the heat if it doesn't. I might take a few attempts to get it right.

When done cooking transfer the tortilla to a cloth lined bowl. Make sure the tortilla is covered on top as well. This allows the tortillas to steam and finish cooking.

Repeat.

It sounds like its a lot harder than it is. It is worth the effort.

mtn-high

Observer
No recipe here. We eat 'em out!

If anyone is out and about on Expedition and finds themselves near Redcliff, Colorado...don't pass up the fish tacos @ Mango's! (best fish tacos in Central Colorado)

http://www.mangosmountaingrill.com/

ya gotta love a place that lists nearby campsites on their restaurant webpage!

mtn-high

robertdarin

Adventurer
gonna have to say tempura fried mahi with avocado and chipotle aioli is not a bad way to have a taco. I like the grilled version as well but would much rather have fried.:eatchicke

jerdog53

Explorer
We were in Cozumel last Feb diving and we asked our dive master were to go for some good fish tacos and he told us about a place way off the beaten path in town east of the supermarket and we had tacos made of Barracuda that was cold pickled "saviche" style with cabbage lime and an Avocado wedge served open face on white corn tort!

What was really funny was we had been keeping an eye on the Barracudas so they wouldn't eat us on our dives and then we went and ate them!

:chowtime:

TheGillz

Explorer
hrjaw said:
from another forum I peruse......

Baja Taco's

Serves 4 to 6
Note: Must have cold Pacifico within arms reach during prep work.

2 medium sized fillets of fresh Red Snapper
1 1/2 cups Bisquick Mix
1 Pacifico for recipe. 2 for the cook.
Cayenne Pepper
Fresh Ground Sea Salt
Fresh Ground Pepper
2 Limes sliced
1 dozen Corn Tortillas
1/2 onion chopped
1 chopped tomato
chopped Cilantro
chopped cabbage
1 to 2 cups grated sharp chedder cheese

Tangy Mayo Sauce
1/2 cup mayo
3 tablespoons of white vinegar
1 to 2 tablespoons of milk

Add vinegar and milk to mayo. Use fork and stir till smooth and creamy, add more vinegar for an extra tangy flavor.

Arrange cabbage, cilantro, onions, tomato's, cheese, limes and Mayo mix on large serving plate or separate bowls if you prefer.

Cut fish into small pieces, 1 inch or less.
Pre heat tortillas in pan, keep warm or heat as needed.

Mix beer and Bisquick until smooth, adding cayenne, salt, pepper and lime to taste.
Add fish to batter mix and toss or dip each piece individually depending on cooking style.

Heat large pan, add corn oil to a depth of 1/4 to 3/16 deep.

Add fish to hot oil and cook till golden brown and crispy. Squeeze on lime, add cayenne to taste.

Serve fish hot with warm tortillas, condiments and Tangy Mayo Sauce.

My wife made this recepe for us the other night...very good! It was the best we'd had since Mexico last January.

jerdog53

Explorer
We were in a local restaurant the other day and I had a "fish taco" so to speak it was actually a filet of something white that was breaded in course corn tortilla chips and then baked with a chipotle sauce along the side an au gratin risotto cake and man was it yummy!!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles