Larger Expo Rig

sdj

With two kids and three big dogs, we have outgrown our Land Cruiser. Looking to replace with a full size rig. Our primary use will be forest and dirt roads, with some mild trails. I know we will sacrifice maneuverability with a larger vehicle, but need to transport space.

Right now I am looking at early to mid 2000s Suburbans/Yukon XLs and Excursions? Anything else I should consider? Reliability and dependability are important. Of the two, which is more reliable? Which are easier to mildly modify (small lift to get some ground clearance and perhaps protection underneath)?

Suggestions and input greatly appreciated.

Steve

Sentinelist

Adventurer
I was in a similar boat a year ago. All of those are probably too small. Think truck camper and be a happy camper. :)

Your choices are good otherwise- I was drawn to a lifted Excursion with a full safari rack recently.

Shocker

VanDOOM!
One word for ya...VAN!

4x4ford_bw1.jpg

AFBronco235

Crew Chief
You should also consider something in a quad cab pickup with 4wd. They can be had for realatively cheap and used as a base to make your custom expo vehicle and can be changed around later as your needs change. Plus, you can tow a trailer or small camper later as well. It all depends on your individual needs.

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
You should also consider something in a quad cab pickup with 4wd. They can be had for realatively cheap and used as a base to make your custom expo vehicle and can be changed around later as your needs change. Plus, you can tow a trailer or small camper later as well. It all depends on your individual needs.

I agree. A crew cab truck does eveything better, for me, than an Excursion or Suburban. More room, real bed. Possibility of a smoother ride with mods.

I'd go towards an Excursion with a 6.8L engine. Most of them had the v10 in my area. Nice manual hubs, but i think you'll be stuck with an electric xfer case.

98dango

Expedition Leader
In the same boat I own a Surburban and a CCSB superduty. I can't decide what to keep as I must sell one.
The crew cab is nice truck with space add a topper and you can sleep in the back. Down fall you bought a truck set it up for camping you no longer have a truck. Truck is longer by far and honestly has less usable space in a short bed. My suburban has 6" less space than my truck if I fold the seat down there is more space. In a truck you have no pass threw. Long term it's a wash of sorts.if you have a need for a truck you would have one. If you don't need a truck it's a waste and in my area costs more to own and license.

Czechsix

Watching you from a ridge
I'm on the verge of posting the suburban up for sale - we're moving to a Fuso instead. Just not enough space for us, and having additional amenities is oh-so-nice.

I've also got a Superduty, but a CCLB. Even with that, and the GVWR restrictions, makes more sense to go with a dedicated platform.

poriggity

Explorer
I've got a quad cab long bed, and while it can be a challenge on tighter trails, I would not trade the room for anything!

sdj

The van idea is intriguing. Does anyone besides sportsmobile make/convert vans? Don't need the rv interior set up, just the 4x4. Worried about cost for the van versus a SUV.

While I would love to consider a crew cab, can't have dogs in the back of the camper without a/c in Az in the summer time. Need to have a/c in the cargo area.

Unless my google skills are really poor, the only large SUV options are the Ford and Chevy/GMC. Have I missed any?

AZ_Ray

Observer
Excursions are nice and roomy, I would suggest a diesel thou(a lot better mpg's).

There's still a couple company's that do the 4x4 conversions just need to google around.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles