Comparison of 2011 JKU and 2015 JKU.

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
I had a 2015 JKU sahara rented in Montreal for this past week and had a chance to compare it to my 2011. First off, the motor. Yes, there is more power, however, I don't feel that I need to rush out and get rid of mine just for the motor. Its not near a dramatic as some people make out on the net. 2. Suspension. I should have gotten under it to see the spring rates, but the stock suspension is WAY different than my setup now. I found the jeep bouncing and leaning around the road and on turns where as mine stays planted and even much better. there is so much difference in the suspensions I would have to swap out the stock bits before taking possession. My rig is just as plush, even with e rated bfgs, but control and Shock control is way ahead of stock. I was afraid it was going to be the other way around and I almost never took the new jeep. I am glad I did however. I will not be trading my rig in anytime soon. 3. Interior. Sound system while being the base model, it had the alpine speakers but no uconnect etc. Sound quality of the alpine is well ahead of my system. Seats in the 13's up are awesome compared to my 2011s too. So much so I am going on the hunt for a set for my rig. Or if the chasis of them are the same, new foam and covers.

I am glad I rented one as I no longer am "jonesin" to get a new jeep and mine will serve me for many more years without a payment too. I have 145k on mine now and its running perfect.

The only real benefit from moving to the new one is mileage. I think I was getting 10 maybe 11 l/100kms in the new where mine would be closer to 14 with the way I was driving the jeep but the bigger tires make a big difference there too.

JIMBO

Expedition Leader
:sombrero: WOW, thanx for the compare, it's kinda new, but

You're part of a growing group that's not so impressed by the new jeeps-

There's no denying the advanyages and performance increase's in the 3.6l, or the performance of the newer 5spd auto, but

Whether the increased cost is worth the change--is kinda upto the individual-

Thanx

:costumed-smiley-007:wings: JIMBO

DEFENDERBEAM

strategic command
my 2015 is a rubicon and I think it handles really well on winding roads in its stock set up. It turns surprisingly flat. The only real roll I seem to get is the tire sidewalls. Once you get used to that, you can rally it pretty hard. just my .02 on the new one. 6-speed.

kojackJKU

I am comparing mine and a stock new one. mines not stock. I was comparing what I would be giving up by going to a new one vs. what gains I would get from a new one. The new 3.6 motor is ok, you have to really rev it to get the power compared to mine where the power is lower in the RPM range. My suspension setup is awesome compared to stock, better on road, off road and everywhere in between.

The bigger springs in the sport with trailer tow package and my monroe shocks make a big difference in the suspension. I am doubtfull the leveling kit makes any difference. But even with the stock soft tires compared to my 33" E LOAD BFGs my jeep still rides and takes hits better. The road is not transfered to my jeep compared to stock, where you are rockin and rolling way more.

me too i drove a new rubicon 2 dr. and wasn't overly impressed by the power in fact I thought maybe it had 3:73 instead of the 4:10s i d like th enew interior and stuff I liked the ride it felt very firm compare to my ome lifted 08 and since I just got a new tranny and front drive shaft via the lifetime warranty ( really 99years) I am not hankerin for anew one so much either, Glad to hear someone else express their opinion /

m(a)ce

Adventurer
glad to hear your rig is still going strong! i guess my experience is a little different. coming from an 07 & 08 to our 13 I think it's completely improved. new engine/trans is excellent & interior is a welcome improvement. even regeared the 08 was a bit of a dog- especially when towing. day to day & longer trips are much more enjoyable. I can't reflect on the suspension too much since we've used AEV on the old & new along with KM2s.
it's a great combo for our needs.
I agree that it's an individual choice based on needs. always good to hear other thoughts/opinions

delivered by winged monkeys

dstock

Explorer
glad to hear your rig is still going strong! i guess my experience is a little different. coming from an 07 & 08 to our 13 I think it's completely improved. new engine/trans is excellent & interior is a welcome improvement. even regeared the 08 was a bit of a dog- especially when towing. day to day & longer trips are much more enjoyable. I can't reflect on the suspension too much since we've used AEV on the old & new along with KM2s.
it's a great combo for our needs.
I agree that it's an individual choice based on needs. always good to hear other thoughts/opinions

delivered by winged monkeys

Totally agree going from 2010 to 2013 the improvements are dramatic.

I think it also depends where you live, in Southern California freeway speeds are 65+ and that's just to avoid getting run over. I'm not looking to get in a race, it's more about self-preservation! For me the new engine/transmission combo is a dream, plenty of power and quieter to boot! The seats are much nicer as well and on the whole it just feels put together better.

I also have an AEV suspension so can't comment there either as I didn't drive with the stock suspension for more than a week on the new.

There is a cost involved in upgrading for sure but for me it was worth it.

kojackJKU

Mine is a 2011 so I got the interior upgrades, besides the 2013 up seats. As I said, my jeep can run 80 mph no issue. I don't as i would burn too much gas and my range would be dramatically reduced. But it can do it no issue. It lights the tires 33's, and I am driving an auto.

LL247

Observer
I have a clean, well running 08 JKU and I'm trading it Wednesday for a 15 Rubi... Love my old one but the power difference is ridiculous.

SSF556

SE Expedition Society
I know. it's ridiculous that people make such a huge deal out of not a lot of difference.:)

LL247 was referring to a huge difference in power...you misinterpreted the word ridiculous. There is no denying that the increased power is an advantage plus the better fuel economy. Like you said you were comparing a modified Jeep to an unmodified Jeep....

amocoharley

The new engine and transmission are easily superior to the old minivan powertrain. Ive had both. Wouldn't have upgraded just for that though. Wanted two more doors.

Chris85xlt

Adventurer
i rented a 2013 JKU Sport while on vacation last week and yes the motor and trans was overall better along with the new interior but it just wasn't enough for me to justify a new JK. If i was a first time buyer i would totally recommend the newer JKs.

crawler#976

Expedition Leader
The MPG is key IMO. We did a 280 mile trip on Saturday in Miss Rubi with 60+ on dirt, the rest highway. Aired down to 20 for the off highway section, and still got 18.1 for the day.

Sent via Carrier Pigeon

2k10Rubi

I think maybe some of those who don't fully realize the increase in power haven't been in a situation to use it. I had a 2010 JKUR and it was such a dog through any hills or grade. Maintaining speed 65+ was near impossible, always shifting into 3rd. Now with my 13 JKUS with 35's it's considerably better, I'd go as far as saying night and day.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94