For sale: 2001 Isuzu trooper

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader

-EDIT: Ok, after some long talks w/ Mrs. Bigdaddy we'd like to offer up our trooper for $5900.00 obo
-We're very open to offer conversations

If this advert is up, its still for sale...and it'll be up on craigslist shortly at a non-portal'r price

My build thread: http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/117331-Japanese-SUV-goodness-2001-Isuzu-Trooper

IMG_6114.jpg
Firestick and winch have been removed. Lights are wired to fog light switch and could stay if I got an honest offer...

Here's the details:
-2001 Isuzu trooper limited
-175k miles
-All power options
-giant sunroof
-Tan leather
-4-door
-Auto
-TOD 4x4 (2wd, AWD, 4hi, 4lo) 2wd is true 2wd now w/the addition of the Manual WARN hubs.

Good stuff:
-All windows/locks/electronics work
-A/C blows cold
-Heater blows warm
-Cruises at 80mph all day long
-Getting about 15mpgs on average right now.
-Drives straight, true, solid - no weird anything - my wife drives it occasionally and loves it.
-Title in hand, clear and in my name
-I'd smog it for the new owner per CA law.

Upgrades:
-General grabber AT tires
-ARB bull bar
-WARN manual hubs (auto flanges come with car)
-rear fold down table
-rear platform built level with folded rear seats, with storage below

Maintenance done:

(edit: forgot to add, i have reciepts for everything, including transferable certs for the tires through discount tire)

-Timing belt
-Water pump
-idler bearings
-tensioner
-serpentine belt
-oil changes
(Will come with tranny filter/gasket - due for fluid swap)
-New muffler, and work to weld up/clean up down-pipes

The bad(Not much):
Exterior
- some scratches and light/non-structural dings

Interior - driver's seat leather split cracking where your but slides in on the seat while getting in

Mechanical - tranny works great, drive it 20 miles to work each day, but my "seat-of-the-pants" o'meter makes me think it might be getting "tired" if that makes sense? Shifts feel a bit different? I don't know. I've been thinking about a 5 speed swap for about 6 months, but for the last 6 months it's driven fine, so not an imperative.

Mechanical - Engine uses a qt per 1000 miles. I just check it every fill-up and top it off. No biggie and for a year, consumption hasn't varied much. I'm running good ol' Castrol GTX and Puralator filters, having tried all the internet-prescribed voodoo oils...haha. engine has loads of power and doesn't falter, smoke, overheat, knock, or anything of the sort.

Mechanical - Both outer CV boots torn. They're isolated, though, with the manual hubs, so they're not getting worn out from lack of lube. Had planned on replacing the boots, but haven't got around to it yet...

Diagnostic - Gets an engine code that comes and goes. Pep boys read it as an EGR flow issue. What I understand is that the consumed oil clogs the EGR valve occasionally with carbon and has to be cleaned. That's the only code I've ever had pop up. I've cleaned the EGR valve a couple times, and it goes away after a few starts and then a month later it comes back..haha.

If I were to keep it, I'd probably eventually do a 5-speed swap, throw on an OME lift, some sort of lumber rack built off the ARB bull bar, and call it good...

Just thought I'd see if there was someone who is looking for a nice stock rig, before I pour too much more into it. I'm a huge proponent of full disclosure, so I tried to mention everything I can think of both good and bad. This is a good rig, and I've put some pretty serious money into it, in the form of upgrades and preventative maintenence. As my needs are seemingly changing, I thought it prudent to offer it up, before "phase 2" starts and I go all-in into this rig.

PM me or post in here if you have questions or want to come take it for a spin.

Last edited:

hobbner

Ive been watching your build and taken a few ideas from you for my own trooper, good luck with the sale, hope it goes to a good home! Im sad to see it up for sale!

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
Ive been watching your build and taken a few ideas from you for my own trooper, good luck with the sale, hope it goes to a good home! Im sad to see it up for sale!

Thanks! It's certainly an on-going conversation that my wife and i are having. It IS a great truck for us, and we're smitten with it, but The 5-speed swap and lift were always on the agenda, but require some serious downtime and coin(at least for us)to accomplish.

We'll just see how things progress. :)

ExploringNH

Explorer
Great rig. Good luck with the sale. You've done a great job with it.

For anyone considering purchase, the mechanical and diagnostic problems (oil consumption and EGR code) are completely normal for the Trooper 3.5L. They ALL do that.

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
First post updated with solid asking price. We're definitely looking to get a different vehicle soon that will accomodate my construction/hauling duties.

Cheers!

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
Oh and just fyi, this does have a clear title in my name and will come with a current smog.

Last edited:

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
Ok, so in doing some research on some other options we're considering, I realized I didn't post up any KBB info.

Here's my rig, as it sits...

trooper.jpg

I figure I have about $2000.00 in maintenence in the truck. (I'm including such things as the hubs and tires)
I also have $1000.00 into the ARB bumper.

That's about $7500.00 invested, all things considered... I've bought and sold MANY cars in my time, and I know you'll never see $ back that you put into most cars, unless it's a bonafied collector's vehicle at a Barrett-Jackson auction..haha.

That being said, I definitely thing $5900 is a fair starting point, seeing how I have several thousand more into the rig than I'm asking. Just wanted to be clear on how I'm pricing it. :)

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
Still rockin' the trooper every day to work. Still lookin' to sell.

How about $3500.00? You get the trooper, the same growly but functional transmission, the same check engine light, a new dent, a currently valid smog test, a pink slip, two keys and a set of brand new OME 929 springs.

I'm getting a pickup and I'd hate to get bent over by the dealer in a trade-in just to have it go to auction.

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
Oh, and it's currently at 180,000 miles +\- and just had a brand new tire put on by discount via warranty.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne