New guy needs help...please?

pmatos

Hello everyone,

I have a 2001 Montero XLS and it is still stock. After seeing all the amazing pictures of all the Montys out here I wanted to modify mine to where I can go off-roading and not worry about being stuck. I have been off-roading with it as is back in PR but I am going to be bringing it to NC by the end of the year. What would you guys recommend as a good staring point? I was looking at OME lift kit, but don't know if there is something else I need to look at. Like I said it is completely stock. Any and all help is highly appreciated.

Igorskiy86

Observer
I have a 2002 limited, and so far the first mods that I will be doing are tires and ome lift. Rock sliders and some underneath protection will soon follow. I decided to get Cooper ST MAXX tires after reading good reviews on them and think that it will be a good tire to live with daily and use off road. Will find out how that works out soon, they should be on a car in a few days. Lift kit should arrive this Friday as well. If you are concerned with getting stuck and off roading by yourself then you might want to look in to getting a winch and recovery gear. Stock my car felt extremely capable, but it was mainly limited by traction of stock tires.

pmatos

Have you selected tires yet? A good tire is worth more than a lift.

I have been looking at the several tires and I am doing the research on them. I want something good and reliable but also something that wont break the bank.

pmatos

I read good things about the OME lift but I will have to prioritize. I already ordered the water pump kit and still doing research on tires. I want tires that will make the Monty stand tall with out a lift kit.

libarata

Expedition Leader
Have you looked into the benefits of a thinner, but taller tire? I am not sure of your terrain there, so I wont screw around with that. Undercarriage protection is a must if you have as many rocks as we have here in Virginia.

pmatos

Have you looked into the benefits of a thinner, but taller tire? I am not sure of your terrain there, so I wont screw around with that. Undercarriage protection is a must if you have as many rocks as we have here in Virginia.

I haven't seen the terrain here in NC but back in PR we have a mixture of rocks and mud, but the rocks are not massive rocks. I want to make sure that when I get the tires I get the best outcome(clearance, undercarriage protection, reliability, and an aggressive look)

pmatos

Igor, is there a specific size you are getting? The reason I ask is that I want to make sure that I get attire that fits with the oem rims and does not rub, it they do then ill get spacers....

magoh76

Adventurer
I have an 01 XLS also. I'm running skinny tires, a 235/85r16 Cooper ST Maxx. That's about a 32" tire, with no lift it leaves plenty of room in the wheel well. I go wheeling pretty regularly (just getting up my driveway is challenging for most vehicles). They work so well I often don't need 4wd when others do. I agree with the others, tires first, then protection or lift.

pmatos

I appreciate the input. debating really hard between 235/85r16 and 285/75r16. I gotta read more on the pros/cons of both of them....

I have another random question. Would you guys recommend flushing out the transmission fluid or just leave it as is? I have always been a firm believer if something is working don't mess with it and all the older cars I have had I added an additive but that was it. I want my Monty to last and I am taking precautionary measures. thanks in Advance.

Monstero

Adventurer
If i had to start over with I would do Lockers first, front and rear ARB's for mine and then go with everything else. You all without lockers have no clue how much of a difference they make even with bald tires. I just ran bald slicks for the last few months and locked front and rear i was skidding some trees from a storm and it was wonderful to be locked.

After lockers I would get skid plates and rock sliders built, then some good M/t tires, and then winch and recovery gear. Call me backwards from everyone else, but after doing all the above to mine I would do it in this order on my next Gen 3.

Monstero

Adventurer
I appreciate the input. debating really hard between 235/85r16 and 285/75r16. I gotta read more on the pros/cons of both of them....

I have another random question. Would you guys recommend flushing out the transmission fluid or just leave it as is? I have always been a firm believer if something is working don't mess with it and all the older cars I have had I added an additive but that was it. I want my Monty to last and I am taking precautionary measures. thanks in Advance.

Since I have owned my 03 I have always flushed and replaced tranny fluid with Genuine Mitsu fluid from the dealership. Never had problems and still running strong. I have also run 285/75r16s and have never looked back. Like the way they look, and run, with no rubbing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz