Insulation ???

jfdrewett

Observer
So, we're about done with the outside of the van. Time to start thinking about the inside.

What's the best insulation set-up for sound, heat and cold. We have a blank slate now with nothing but the factory headliner and carpet.

Thanks in advance. :)

Eric3187

Adventurer
i used lizard skin sound control + ceramic insulation spray on the floor and halfway up the walls, along with the engine side of the dog house. very noticeable difference in both sound and heat. my feet rarely get hot now while driving barefoot or in sandals. and once you get the temperature how you want, it holds at that temperature longer as well.

While sleeping in the van the other week at about 10k ft it got into the 30*s at night, and sleeping in a summer sleeping bag 40-50*+, i slept great and comfortable until i had to use the restroom in the morning.

where the windows would have been (i have a cargo van) i taped up reflectix, and then on the ceiling, i cut out and taped up a sheet of 3/4" foam insulation board. the only other liner installed is a bed rug carpet kit.

I plan to stuff the openings around the wheel wells with the usual pink insulation, and then line the walls with it and cover it with some plywood walls.

jfdrewett

Observer
I looked at the Lizard skin site. Looks like good stuff.

Why wouldn't you spray the entire interior including roof with it?

_hein_

Observer
The 3M SM600L Thinsulate vehicle insulation that we stock has been very popular with the Sprinter folks. It's engineered for vehicles and used by luxury OEMs. Feel free to contact me directly via email or call 54l then 49O followed by 5O9eight. We ship to US and Canada via Fedex.

-Hein

I live in the desert & despise humid climates, not concerned with morning condensation the 24 or so nights each year spent in the van... so, R15 fiber over reflectix does it for me. Stuffed in doors, ceiling, seat bases, under door steps, kick panels. Cheap.

Eric3187

Adventurer
I looked at the Lizard skin site. Looks like good stuff.

Why wouldn't you spray the entire interior including roof with it?

no reason you couldnt, i just skipped out on it because it wasnt cheap, about 600 all said and done, 4 gallons of each: sound control and ceramic insulation. i also eventually plan doing a pop top or fiberglass roof, so i didnt want to waste product

_hein_

Observer
Hein, what is the R-factor of the thinsulate, and is it manufactured in the USA?

Wikipedia says it's R-5.75/inch
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thinsulate

It is manufactured in the USA. The master rolls come from Wisconsin.

The SM600L we stock expands to almost 2" thick:
Thinsulate_SM600L_cross_section.jpg

Some information for vehicle OEM engineers:
http://www.impact3d.com/UK-1.pdf

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles