Fleetwood Neon Modified for off road

MountainD

Adventurer
Today I will work on getting the trailer welded to the frame and hopefully can do the winch/top raiser and get the brake lines made...but it is a slow morning due to the box-moving festivities. It was a silly move to switch to mojitos after drinking a ton of beers...rookie move... ONe of my buddies brought over a beater cruiser for me as well so I threw it into the pic for a sense of scale... Better get at it...my hangover ain't going anywhere...

Attachments

• 25 Bed install.jpg
    25 Bed install.jpg
    553.8 KB · Views: 104
  • 26 bed install.jpg
    26 bed install.jpg
    561.3 KB · Views: 100
  • box and bike.jpg
    box and bike.jpg
    551.3 KB · Views: 98

MountainD

Adventurer
Got the frames welded together, stairs installed, and started on the fenders.

Attachments

• 27 stairs.jpg
    27 stairs.jpg
    567.3 KB · Views: 88
  • 28 fenders.jpg
    28 fenders.jpg
    566.3 KB · Views: 84

BADDANDY

Adventurer
I got my Optima installed and currently doing a voltage drop test before proceding further with the electrics.

clobber

What a cool thread! Lots of inspiration for sure! I wasn't aware that a narrow pop-up was even a thing when I started planning mine haha

BADDANDY

Adventurer
Clobber, You found us, If you do to yours what you want to do to it, I think you'll be the first as I can't find an example of one ever being done.

MountainD

Adventurer
Fairly productive Saturday between rain showers. Had 3 separate showers that made me put all my tools away and shut up the trailer just to have the sun come back out! But I did get the plate for the winch welded in, the winch and chain installed, the tongue box installed, batteries put back in and top tested--and it works great! I need to use the gearing that I used in order to have the separation of the chain be able to sandwhich the cables that lift the top in order to avoid rubbing which makes it a little slower than ideal, but it was anticipated and the slowness allows for pretty fine control to avoid over extension. I do think I'll still add limit switches, but that will be a future upgrade after I have the trailer 100% functional as camping season is upon us.

I also have a few things that I need to redo. The fender supports are too close to the tires so I am going to redo those. Also the trailer hitch isn't quite at the right level and the great folks at Lock-n-Roll are working with me to help correct that. Definitely a great shout out to venders such as Lock-n-Roll---it is one thing to make a great product and another to service your customers. That is a main buying criteria and one that is super appreciated.

Here is a link to the top in operation: http://youtu.be/GjB8l-RhKoQ

Attachments

• 29 winch install.jpg
    29 winch install.jpg
    547.7 KB · Views: 65

BADDANDY

Adventurer
2 days of cutting, drilling and welding the bumper and tire carrier. Hopefully today I'll get em finished. Tie-down track system arrived. Something inside is using the battery, so need to figure out what it is, then I'm done!

trailer 038.jpg

silvrzuki77

explorer
Looking good guys. Lock n roll is great! They called me like 2-3 months after I got mine just to see how things were going. Great service!

MountainD

Adventurer
After work I welded in the mounts for the electric over hydraulic brake actuator (running land rover disc brakes) and made the hydraulic line from it to the handbrake input. Tomorrow I will probably start the rest of the brake tubing (if it doesn't rain) and then start the electrical wiring. Other things on my list is the cooler rack on the tongue, the fenders, and then it should be about ready to start camping season. I still am going to do some interior upgrades and strengthening, but I can do that during the camping season little at a time. Getting closer!

Attachments

• 30 Brake Line.jpg
    30 Brake Line.jpg
    545.4 KB · Views: 55

bugnout

Adventurer
MountainD, Did you consider mounting the box on the trailer frame 180 degrees and putting the entrance on the hitch end? That would allow setting up the camper while its still attached to your tow vehicle. My thoughts were that a swing out tongue box and steps attached to one side or the other, probably drivers side.

MountainD

Adventurer
Pretty cool idea-- make a deck, perhaps, but alas, no I didn't consider it. Just never thought about it. I don't mind the back entrance though although I don't think I really have a preference. Tons more work/weight doing a swing away tongue box when not super necessary....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior