Xterra questions.

mnfeo2

Adventurer
Thanks for all the input.

Do they make the Detroit TT for the front end? I've found one for the rear. I only ask because I have them front and rear on my Disco and really like them for what we do.

Dmski

Adventurer
I don't believe there is a detroit for the front but could someone verify? I know the front pretty much is stuck with ARB and Lokka, and are both great options. I've had both the first and second gen now and have loved both.

The first gen is a simple design, easy to work on but does lack power and refinement that the second gen has. First gen also had a few recalls and things to pay antention to such as the fuel sending unit and early gens cracking exhaust manifolds. It is an interferance engine as well which means the timing belt needs to be changed at 100k. But the VG33 engine has been around for years and is a work horse of an engine. Very stout little rigs.

I've been pleased with the second gen so far, and the only ailments to be wary of is the automatic transmissions having the SMOD issue and what people say is a weaker front diff, but that is usually overplayed with talk on the forums and I have yet to meet someone who has actually blown one, but it is something to keep in mind and go easier on the skinny in rocky/high wheel spin situations I suppose. They do very well off road stock, and returns excellent fuel mileage for a 265HP SUV in my opinion. Plenty of aftermarket for your upgrade needs, and are not overly complicated to work on even with the added electronics. If you want/need a locker, wait for a Pro-4x in the later years with a 6 speed manual and just have at it!

drbandkgb

Xterra Junky
what people say is a weaker front diff, but that is usually overplayed with talk on the forums and I have yet to meet someone who has actually blown one, but it is something to keep in mind and go easier on the skinny in rocky/high wheel spin situations I suppose. They do very well off road stock, and returns excellent fuel mileage for a 265HP SUV in my opinion. Plenty of aftermarket for your upgrade needs, and are not overly complicated to work on even with the added electronics. If you want/need a locker, wait for a Pro-4x in the later years with a 6 speed manual and just have at it!

I have personally seen 5 go.. From the case actually cracked to the internals chewed up.. and Almost every time it was do to wheel hop (Too much skinny pedal)

I can tell you one thing about the community though.. They are tight.. They seem to help each other like crazy..
No matter what part of the US you're in.

Here is our basic X we bought a few years ago..
DSC_2034-1_zps89263031.jpg

10696451_10152354577951596_9145083909389560367_n.jpg

Now: 2" Nisstec SL, White Knuckle sliders, Ironman4x4 awning, Heps designs drop in roof rack, InSAIN fab rear tire carrier
Raingler nets
1798818_10152357595566596_2494206070519717285_n.jpg

10371678_307710729398212_8282660404646685688_n.jpg

My 2000
DSC_0034.jpg

Now:
DSC_3373.jpg

Id look at what people do with them on the forums..
www.xterranation.org
www.thenewx.org

Dmski

Adventurer
I have personally seen 5 go.. From the case actually cracked to the internals chewed up.. and Almost every time it was do to wheel hop (Too much skinny pedal)

I can tell you one thing about the community though.. They are tight.. They seem to help each other like crazy..
No matter what part of the US you're in.

Dang 5?! That is incredible! You are making up for the lack of my sightings i guess. DRB is right though, there is a very great community on the forums and in the form of clubs all around that are willing to help with advice, get togethers/trail runs and troubleshooting stuff. If anything, its a great group of people that love X's!

Nice 09' by the way! That is more or less my goal at the early stages.

ryandavenport

Adventurer
Dang 5?! That is incredible! You are making up for the lack of my sightings i guess. DRB is right though, there is a very great community on the forums and in the form of clubs all around that are willing to help with advice, get togethers/trail runs and troubleshooting stuff. If anything, its a great group of people that love X's!

Nice 09' by the way! That is more or less my goal at the early stages.

He is right about too much throttle causing it. I'm sure there is some relation to tire size and weight, but I have been wheeling mine for 2 years on 34s and full armor with no issues (knock on wood). Knowing how to drive and proper throttle control can take you a long way in the X. Not only does it help keep the front diff together, but it also works well with ABLS which is an EXCELLENT traction aid when there are multiple wheels off of the ground.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94