Xterra questions.

mnfeo2

Adventurer
Hey I'm looking to change over to an Xterra from my Land Rover Discovery. My wife and I rented one last year and simply loved the way it drove. We like the newer styling.

Is there any years that are better then the rest? Is there anything I should look out for? As far as maintenance goes. Are there any common failures?

mikeJKUR

Adventurer
If I remember right it was just the first 2 years that had a trans cooler leak in the radiator and noise from timing chain. Now I had a 2005 frontier ( same power train ) and had the vehicle up to 90k and never had one of those problems.

KiwiKurt

Explorer
If I remember right it was just the first 2 years that had a trans cooler leak in the radiator and noise from timing chain. Now I had a 2005 frontier ( same power train ) and had the vehicle up to 90k and never had one of those problems.

This. I can't remember what year it changed, but the first couple years the trans cooler and radiator were on a single core divided....that was later changed to 2 separate cores to avoid the "pink milk shake of death" when parts of the cores corroded and the fluids mixed. Other than that, nothing in particular stands out. Just standard "used vehicle" stuff to watch for. Opt for the Nismo/Pro-4x model with the rear diff locker.

Some people will be quick to chime in about a weakness in the front diff, but I have yet to actually meet anyone that blew their diff. Its always the story about someone that someone knows on the xterra forum type vague statements. Not saying it hasnt happened, i just dont think its as common a problem as some internet hype types would have it seem. The complaint was centered around a diff failure as the front wheel came down spinning and got traction and then broke. Sounded a little to me like that particular driver had a drive line failure of some sort on their way no matter what vehicle they owned......

I refer to my Xterra as my "reliable discovery 2"...kinda what it felt like to me. We've enjoyed ours quite a bit. There was an interior styling update sometime between 2010 and 2012 iirc, also....

KiwiKurt

Explorer
also, i think member here "stolenheron" with a thread on this top page made the same move you did....could check with him for his thoughts also.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

lizardking

This. I can't remember what year it changed, but the first couple years the trans cooler and radiator were on a single core divided....that was later changed to 2 separate cores to avoid the "pink milk shake of death" when parts of the cores corroded and the fluids mixed. Other than that, nothing in particular stands out. Just standard "used vehicle" stuff to watch for. Opt for the Nismo/Pro-4x model with the rear diff locker.

Some people will be quick to chime in about a weakness in the front diff, but I have yet to actually meet anyone that blew their diff. Its always the story about someone that someone knows on the xterra forum type vague statements. Not saying it hasnt happened, i just dont think its as common a problem as some internet hype types would have it seem. The complaint was centered around a diff failure as the front wheel came down spinning and got traction and then broke. Sounded a little to me like that particular driver had a drive line failure of some sort on their way no matter what vehicle they owned......

I refer to my Xterra as my "reliable discovery 2"...kinda what it felt like to me. We've enjoyed ours quite a bit. There was an interior styling update sometime between 2010 and 2012 iirc, also....

The first gen xterras are pretty sturdy. Someone else would have to chime in about those since I don't know them as well.

The second gen are also sturdy. They are a bit wider and start off with a tiny bit less clearance but that can be fixed with some modifications.

I have seen the front diff pop and do know people that it happened too. However, if you stay off the skinny pedal in the rocks, the front diff seems to hold up just fine. I drive mine on the trails pretty regularly and do not have an issue. They seem to snap with heavy wheelspin and then sudden traction. There are cures though. A front locker (arb or lokka) or swapping the to a titan differential and suspension (bolt in but not cheap -- aka titan swap) fixes the differential problem. 2005s (and maybe 2006s) have 2 instead of 4 spider gears rear in the differential on the manual and offroad models. This can be cured with a rear aftermarket locker (arb). The only other semi-common issue I can think of is the timing chain guides can go early (80K+) in 2005-2007 (maybe 2008) models. There was a TSB for this so some may already have been fixed. I believe the "milkshake" issue was cured after 2007. So in general, 2008+ is pretty solid. There is some great first gen and second gen info at http://xterranation.org/ and second gen only info at http://www.thenewx.org/

KiwiKurt

Explorer
there is a first hand account....

Id really be interested to know more about these diff failures. It's the same diff that goes into the WRX STi if i recall correctly, which I have personally clutch dropped from offensive RPM's in a car with obscene amounts of torque. Leads me to believe that guys are beating the hell out of these things to snap them?

Last edited:

lizardking

I will gladly admit that the ones that I know about were heavy footed drivers. One of them was on 35" tires. Like I said, I wheel mine quite a bit and I do not have issues. They aren't glass. They can handle some pretty crazy stuff. Just light on the skinny if you think you are going to drop and get traction. Lokka is a $300 DIY fix if you don't mind a front auto locker. ARB is more expensive but who doesn't want a front locker? I know I do. :)

mikeJKUR

Adventurer
and there you have it.

Id really be interested to know more about these diff failures. It's the same diff that goes into the WRX STi if i recall correctly, which I have personally clutch dropped from offensive RPM's in a car with obscene amounts of torque. Leads me to believe that guys are beating the hell out of these things to snap them?

It's not the same diff.

I have personally see 3 brake and help diagnosis what failed. I did a write up on the frontier forum. Basically when you have wheel spin and come to a sudden stop 2 parts could fail. The spider gears or the half shaft.

Oh and I was also one of the first few guys to the titan swap.

KiwiKurt

Explorer
It's not the same diff.

I have personally see 3 brake and help diagnosis what failed. I did a write up on the frontier forum. Basically when you have wheel spin and come to a sudden stop 2 parts could fail. The spider gears or the half shaft.

Oh and I was also one of the first few guys to the titan swap.

I didn't intend for my post to sound sh@tty...I meant "there you have it" as a first hand account, not a challenge. You clearly have more experience with the failure than I do.

drbandkgb

Xterra Junky
Yep every diff I seen blow has been due to too much pedal and a lack of control..

2005-2015 (Gen 2 Xterra) 261hp 4.0 V6
2005-2009 known Radiator issues.. They changed the type of fluid they use and this has seem to calm down the issues.
There is a easy by pass for the transmission cool that will fix the issue on the older 2005-2009 and add a new Tanny fan and your golden on the low idle trail runs.

You can find them from 8k-30k
X- base model is a great start
SE/S has more bells and whistles
Offroad / Pro4x have more options plus a real E-locker

Nissteclifts.com is a great place to look for suspension options
xterranation.org is a cool social forum for all xterras hold the National Xterra Meet
thenewX.org is based only on Gen2 Xterras. good tech write ups.
xterraperformance.com offers some very cool Xterra only products

mikeJKUR

Adventurer
I didn't intend for my post to sound sh@tty...I meant "there you have it" as a first hand account, not a challenge. You clearly have more experience with the failure than I do.

oh i didn't take it that way. it did not happen often so I can how people may not know or understand what brake.

KiwiKurt

Explorer
yeah i don't doubt they break....would you agree it seems to much more prone to the heavy-footed rock crawling community?

I dont wheel my truck that hard, but Ive done a few days at moab and other places with rocks and haven't had an issue. *shrug*

lizardking

No worries. Just sharing the info that I know. It is a pain to dig through all the info if you are just starting. It is a big commitment to read all that stuff if you are just researching which rig to buy. Obviously, if you pull the trigger, dig and and search because I am just some crazy guy on the internet that likes to drive his truck in the woods. Everything can break.

Some lokka info (sorry $400):
http://www.thenewx.org/forum/showthread.php?t=64014
http://www.thenewx.org/forum/showthread.php?t=96865
http://lokka.com/site/

My experience with Nissan's has all been positive. Great community. Great platform. Sometime I wish I had a solid front axle but most of the time she is on the road and she drives great even with the mods.

Last edited:

jhill15

Explorer
I went from a 2001 land rover d2 to a 2004 Xterra, I loved the Xterra it was completely different then what I was used to in the rover....but that wasnt always a good thing. The Xterra was more fun to drive in the snow, only because no traction control and the rear end seemed to spin around which was fun for doughnuts but the rover was far more stable in snow and bad weather and I just felt safer in it, we have been in white outs in the rover driving up and down steap inclines when other trucks...even jeeps no pun intended were on the side of the road. Now the best part to switching to the Xterra was the repairs, when I started fixing things on it that the previous owner neglected I found that compaired to the rover the Xterra was extremely cheap to fix!

All in all both truck are great and I loved both for different reasons. The main reason I loved the X was the simplicity of the setup. Nothing to fancy just get in drop in 4wd and go.

If I were to buy another X I would get an 05-07 Manual off road edition "rear locker" and no smod that you would fear with an auto.
08-and on pro-4 or off road edition both are standard with rear locker.

Also the 2004 xterra was the most reliable of the 1st and 1.5 gens as far as motor trend and aol were concerned.

The one thing I dislike about Xterras compared to the discovery is no option for 3rd row seating...it may seem silly but I like having the option being able to add a couple extra people. Which is why I bought the montero.

Hope this helps

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior