LR2's

ucs308

Observer
Hi! I am done lurking and now need advice.

Is the absence of LR2 build threads, and LR2 after market stuff a sign that the LR2 is really not very capable off-road? Or just that people believe the LR2 is just too small? There is not much LR2 coverage here, that I can find. I can't work if people are using them.

Are there places you would never take an LR2 that you might an LR4 or a Land cruiser?

I am thinking about an LR3/4 or a Toyota land cruiser (100 series), but I don't really need the size of those all the time, and feel a little off about the MPG. So I started to consider the LR2 and pulling a trailer when we were gonna be in full camping mode, and using a Maggiolina on top of the LR2 for quick weekend trips. With a box onto of the maggiolina if needed. That way I could use the LR2 as a daily driver. But it feels a like a squeeze. My other option is to have a daily driver and simply buy an old Land cruiser or Land Rover for our trips.

Currently I am using a stock Nissan Frontier Pro4 thingy. I am a photographer and find myself off road (usually I am on a farm road, fire road, or some kind of pre-determined road) often in the eastern sierra and northern California and southeastern California.

Thanks,
Garry

jh.

ambitiose sed ineptum
Maybe I'm way off base, but I would compare the LR2 more to a Subaru Outback than an LR3/4. Not a bad thing, just not the same ballpark.

I own a Legacy and a RRS, and have owned 2 Outbacks and a Disco 2. There are many places off road that I wouldn't think about taking the Subies that the RRS and Disco have owned. Now if you keep it to dirt roads...why not?

Dendy Jarrett

Expedition Portal Admin
Staff member
The LR2 is quite capable, however, given their small size, there simply wasn't much in the way of aftermarket available. That said, I have owned an LR2 and for the money, you are WAY ahead getting a nice, well kept LR3. Much more storage capacity. Much more in the way of amenities, better visibility, safer, better clearance, and the gas mileage isn't significantly different.

That that may be just a personal opinion.

D

Scarab

Depends what kind of thing you want to use it for.

The '2 is an excellent vehicle for getting you where you want to go. The way to look at it is: If you're considering one as a vehicle then very probably it will do everything you'd ever need it to and more.
Stick a decent set of tyres on there and it has great traction. Decent wading depth too.

However I think a well looked after LR3 would be a much better bet.

racehorse

Adventurer
^x2 . If you know you keep to fire roads (think of the trails you hit on an occasional or frequent basis) and if those trails you find comfortable crossing in a subaru or something along those lines the LR2 would be a fun ride. To note: the difference between driving an LR2 and LR3 is like a sports ute and a school bus. The lr2's I have had as rental cars are like go-karts compared to my LR3 (fully armored, winched, 6,800 pounds worth). One observation regarding the LR2 is they are danged expensive.

Dendy Jarrett

Expedition Portal Admin
Staff member
I should add to the conversation however, that a LR master tech told me that the LR2 is the most reliable truck ever released from LR. The LR3/4 is the second ...
D

mallthus

Pretty good at some stuff
Do remember that the LR2 shares its basic chassis with the Volvo XC60. Given its limited sales and basic architecture, you'll be serious constrained in how much you can "build" one.

That said, as with the other posts, if it's comfortable for you and meets your needs, you could do worse.

LocoCoyote

World Citizen
They are called the "Freelander 2" over here and I own a 2013 HSE model. They are a great daily driver and very capable off the pavement. It is a very nice little truck that will take you just about anywhere some kind of road is.... However, it is not an "expedition" class vehicle. Rock crawling and "mudding" will only get you broken and stuck in this truck....but to be fair, it was never built for that kind of thing. After market "off road" accessories are rare to no existent...at least I can't find much.

with all that said, the Freelander offers a lot for weekend type camping/travel. This last summer I had mine up in the western Alps following old military trails and basically traveling way off normal tracks. She performed well and the hill decent control was a Godsend! I did encounter a few washed out spots that I declined to tackle with the Freelander, but overall I was able to travel quite well.

anyway, that is my 2 cents.

PS: for the record, after having owned both a Subaru Outback and this Freelander.....the Freelander eats the Subaru's lunch! While they compare well on paper, the Land Rover is a much better vehicle in all respects. FYI: the Mitsubishi Outlander is also a nice truck that rates somewhere in between the Subaru and the LR.

ucs308

Observer
Thanks for all the replies so far.

I really dont want to get stuck. I own an outback too and i passed that on because it made me nervous. The stock nissan was a little odd here and there on some of the roads i hit. I could habe done better changing the tires etc. but i am not committed to the frontier.

Holding me back with the LR3/4 is the V8 - i don't think the LR3 comes in a V6 - and the general sense of bling with the LR3/4. Old models like the Defender etc are too thirsty. I do about 30k miles a year.

XJLI

Adventurer
Do they not do the Diesel LR3 over there?

The TDV6 is soooo smooth.

they don't.

why do you want to get out of the PRO4X? they are pretty good trucks. small lift, better tires and you have a capable rig. though, if you are just on fire roads, there isn't anything that would be too challenging for a stock one.

proper4wd

Expedition Leader
Mileage will be within a few percentage points of the Frontier. I would imagine you are getting about 18 average now?

By the way - the capability of the Frontier Pro4x is tough to match in stock form. Rear locker, decent suspension, skid plates, etc.

The LR3 will match it but an LR2 will not come close.

spikemd

Explorer
My father has an LR2 and it is a comfortable smaller SUV with decent rear cargo room, not much less than a RRSport due to the sloping rear hatch. Its traction control is very capable but you are limited by ground clearance. It runs on springs not air suspension like the RRS and LR3 which allows you to raise the vehicle significantly. Mileage on the highway is around 22-24 with city around 18. My best mileage last weekend driving to LA in the LR3 was around 16 on the highway. Its around 12 in town. Surprisingly, my P38 range rover gets around the same mpg using the archaic 4.6l Buick designed engine. The LR3 is a much larger truck than it appears and weighs over 6k labs, but it is also very capable in stock form and will get you almost anywhere.

That being said, the LR2 is very reliable other than some bad rear diffs in the early years. My father has owned his for 3 years now and only changed oil. No issues what so ever.

In less than a year, the LR3 blew a coolant bleeder valve, has had lower control arms replaced, tie rods, sway bar links, MAF, brakes all around due to warping but has 90k miles.

ucs308

Observer
Reliability. I had issues recently getting up a moderate trail near shasta. It wasn't fire road quality, but it wasn't really anything the pro 4x should have had trouble with. 22k miles and i am on my 3rd clutch. Nissan are scratching their heads. I'm kinda not feeling it any more for that truck. Ok close to town but not on the trails.

I am also thinking inside space for camping gear, camera gear and stuff would make a lot of sense. With an LR2 i considered putting all that stuff on an expediation trailer. But in reality i can grab a small car for town and a 100 series land cruiser or LR3/4 that could be built out a little and serve for trips etc for the next few years. Just not sure which way to go if the LR2 is really off the list.

I am assuming - from what i have read - the Land Crusier and LR's are more capable than the tacomas, 4runners etc. when i say capable i am really just thinking about margin of safety i am not gonna be rock crawling etc, not on purpose anyway.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior