Tire size considerations

amo292

Adventurer
Thanks for the compliments. TEC3 I think that you have it spot on. No need for more so why waste to get there. MotoDave pretty much sums it up.

samer0214

My opinion is that the "advice" you're getting to go to 35's is driven more by the current trend of going bigger, whether it's needed or not, it's form before function. Witness what has been happening in the wheel industry on cars and street trucks for the last couple of years: 22" and 24" rims!!

Not saying that 35" tires don't have a place on our rigs, but if you're getting the job done with your current setup, just stay with it, and ignore the hype.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

plumber mike

Adventurer
I'd say go 35's, but the selection of skinny 35's is lacking. I'd like the height, but not the width. Super swamper is the only 35/10.5 tire I know of and it won't cut it for much road time.

I really liked the 285/75-17 toyo open country at2 on my super duty, but about as wide as I'd like to go for the snow and ice I drive on.

Now that I'm back on 16s, I'm thinking of trying a set of 255/85-16.

Living on a long dirt road has cured me of excessively wide tires.......and most 35's would fall in that category for me.

monele

Adventurer
I get asked the same thing all the time! I have 225/85-16's on an LJ Rubicon with 3.5" lift. I get to keep my factory wheels & gearing (paid for) no worries about bending an axle, no more loss of gas mileage, and no need to buy a new spare tire carrier. I do all my own labor, but that would still cost me nearly $2k for 1" of extra clearance under the diff's and more wear on bearings, more fuel used etc. I chose to do a 1" body lift and tummy tuck (not sure you can do that on yours) b/c 1" of extra height at my break-over point is far more useful with a longer wheel base than it is at the diff. I drive places that make my passengers whimper (and sometimes curse a blue streak) so why would I need bigger tires? Save your money and run what you like.

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
I'm using 295/70 r17 tires. About 33.5". Seems like enough tire to me.

35" tires are a nasty line to cross. IMO, that's the line between a useful well rounded truck, and something that only fits a weekend plaything roll. We're only talking 1/2 to 1" ground clearance differences here. Not worth the street and towing trade off IMO. Just put some armored diff covers on.

hansshanks

35s when aired down for offroad offer more flotation, better traction, softer ride, and don't give up as much ground clearance when aired down. you sacrifice some on the highway. put proper gearing gets that back.

RocKrawler

Supporting Sponsor
So with your tundra and either a stock 18" rim or aftermarket rim with 6.14" backspace the tire I'd run is a 285/75R18 which is available in the popular Toyo AT2 and a couple others. It's essentially a 34.5"x11.5 and fits like a glove. Extra inch of clearance under the diff, still relatively narrow, and large enough diameter to go over holes instead of getting stuck in them, plus it's not a super heavy tire and has a 50k mileage warranty. Depending on where you're taking it big trucks can often use extra clearance, as smaller vehicles can often go around what full sizes must go over. Getting ready to begin a full size build again myself, don't want to be restricted to graded fire roads like my last trick with 31"-32" training wheels. All depends where you want to take it, remember too that what is an easy road in might get washed out with a rain overnight and now it's going to beat the snot out of your truck on the way out. It's happened when you decide to camp away from everyone in the paved campgrounds, but that's why I typically build better than the mall terrain crowd.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke