Tire size considerations

TEC3

Adventurer
So I have been running a metric Equivalent Michelin LTX AT2 for a while. measures in around 32.5" on my 07 tundra with 3" lift front and around 3.5" rear.

I keep getting told to go to 35's, go to 35's but I feel like 32.5-33.5" is a decent size tire for my truck because I do have as much road or more than Offroad. Honestly I have not had issues in mud, sand or rock with the Michelins.

So my question is what are your thoughts on tire size? Is their a real benefit to going to 35's if I am not rock crawling? I know it looks "cool" but I am a function before beauty guy and It is hard to beat the miles I can get out of those michelins and still have traction.

Here is a pic for reference. BTW, the YJ doesn't have those silly 12" wide rims anymore. The previous owner had those on. Looked like a toy.
photo 1-3.jpg

east_tn_81

Adventurer
Stick with what fits you. I have a 06 f150 I just order 285 70 17 which is 32.8. I thought it was a good size for road use and off road. It gives me plenty of clearance with out sacrificing towing.

Last edited:

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
So I have been running a metric Equivalent Michelin LTX AT2 for a while. measures in around 32.5" on my 07 tundra with 3" lift front and around 3.5" rear.

I keep getting told to go to 35's, go to 35's but I feel like 32.5-33.5" is a decent size tire for my truck because I do have as much road or more than Offroad. Honestly I have not had issues in mud, sand or rock with the Michelins.
You keep "getting told to go to 35's?" By who?
And why do you care what someone else thinks about what you should do with your truck?
Is there anything you want to do with your truck right now that you can't do because of your tire size? If not, why change?

TEC3

Adventurer
You keep "getting told to go to 35's?" By who?
And why do you care what someone else thinks about what you should do with your truck?
Is there anything you want to do with your truck right now that you can't do because of your tire size? If not, why change?

By who is a good question. Mainly friends and at Overland expo I was asked 3 times when my tires were getting upgraded to 35's... lol

I really don't care one bit, but this being a forum I figured it would be a good place to ask and make sure I wasn't missing something. I have built plenty of Jeeps on 35's, 37's etc.. but always for crawling.

I plan on staying with my 32.5's until they are dead. BUT I am always trying to educate myself for when it is time to replace anything.

Just asking a general question that I couldn't find a solid answer to on a search.

Thanks

MotoDave

Explorer
If the current size tires get you to where yo want to go, there's no real reason for upgrading. Is looking cool worth the MPG hit? And it will be substantial going from 33's to 35's, have no doubt.

I have the same size tires with no lift on my Tundra, and they will get me anywhere I should be trying to drive a truck this big. For tighter/harder stuff, see build in my signature :)

Zeep

Adventurer
I agree with what has been stated above. 35's add more weight, will wear more in the long run on your brakes, plus cost you more up front.
Build the rig for your likes, not the likes of others!

TripLeader

Explorer
I think the real question to ask is: Could you go smaller and still get the truck where you want to go?
If not, then you are at the correct size.

TEC3

Adventurer
They are a little bigger than stock. I had stock tires on for a while and the traction on them were not very good and size was even smaller than these.

MoRogers

Observer
I can't speak for anybody else, but I went from 32s to 35s for more sidewall, tire width, and clearance. I also have a 2" suspension lift with my ICON coilovers. I loss ~2MPGs in the process, but still can range 500-600miles on a full tank, city/hwy. My reasons were purely functional and had a purpose in mind, I could careless about looks, and the cost of going bigger was acceptable given I could still stay above the 500 mile range.

if your satisfied with how your rig works, then why change anything about, especially it if it doesn't enhance the already present benefits.

Also, to my understanding, bigger wheels/tires negotiate terrain better than smaller ones, but by how much from such a marginal change, and at what expense with regards to weight, braking, and MPGs. in your case I just don't think the change is worth it, unless you're just want the looks.

amo292

Adventurer
I think you have it right just where you are. If you don't need them don't buy them! Sure they look great but $1200 or more can go a long way on our tundras.

The only reason I changed my tires on my 2008 tundra was for the higher aspect ratio. Because my truck spends a lot of time on the beach I wanted more sidewall so went from 18" wheels to 17" TRD wheels while maintaing the same diameter.

IMG_4938.jpgIMG_4913.jpg

amo292

Adventurer
Desert Dan Yes they are. Actually 285/75. I have no complaints about them so far, they have out performed everything else I have had.

TEC3

Adventurer
Looks really good amo292,

I think some of the earlier posters misunderstood my question. I was not looking for what looks cool, but in fact looking for reasoning of being told that I "have" to move to 35's.
I am happy with the Michelins and honestly they have been some of the best AT tires I have had off road... I have ran AT's by Cooper, BFG and Good Year on different vehicles over the years and these really stick well comparatively. They are not a m/t, but I don't expect them to be. If they made them in a bigger size I would probably go a little bigger, but right now the tire value and mileage is worth the smaller size. Most of the trails I see with it the tires do well... If I want to crawl I have a YJ for that.

MotoDave

Explorer
I think the 'advice' you're getting is that a larger tire would look better with your lift. You don't need any lift to fit the size you're running now, and I believe you could fit a 35 with minor trimming with a 3/1 lift. Then your truck will look cooler, get worse MPG, have worse overall driving characteristics, wear out everything suspension and steering related quicker, and have somewhat improved off road capabilities. Guess its up to you, I'm a function before form kind of guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz