3rd Gen Build In New Mexico ABQ

Dtruj505

I wanted to start a thread about my Monty build.
Late this summer I bought a 03 Limited with 103K on the odometer. when I bought it the 4x4 would not engage and the traction control would not work.
Here is a list of what I have done so far, still have a long way to go to make it how I want.

New Battery Optima yellow top - mine died when I stopped for lunch 1hour after buying the rig
Replaced the vacuum valves for the 4x4 actuator and walla 4x4 works again - Traction control only works under 40mph still not sure why on that
Put new rubber on- 33" Cooper Discovery
Installed OME lift and shocks
Replaced y pipe - cats were completely gone New O2 sensors all around as well
In process of replacing valve cover gaskets and spark plugs - some one had installed plugs with a .045 gap! manufacture recommends 28 to 35
Also installed water thermostat- it did not have one at all - very odd

Have Rocky Road Rocksliders waiting to be installed -came in today.

I have lots of plans to work on it this winter with a few small trips to get everything dialed in.
20140803_112213.jpg20140913_140425.jpg20140906_123845.jpg

Dtruj505

20140816_141648 (2).jpg

This is what she looked like with the tires stuffed in there before putting on the OME lift.

Attachments

• 20140803_112213.jpg
    20140803_112213.jpg
    558.2 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:

Igorskiy86

Observer
Looking good. Post up pics of your rock sliders, both uninstalled and installed. I am debating getting same ones or picking up a kit and welding on brackets myself.

nckwltn

Explorer
Looks just like the '03 I bought. Doing similar engine work, although I think I only have 1 bad o2 sensor as of yet.

Strange question, do you have a strong vibration if you hold the revs at 2k-2.3k rpm (with car in park)? I've googled it a bit, and it seems like a somewhat common problem with no real fixes. One is to take off this block of metal at the rear of the transfer case that supposedly helps with vibration dampening. Another is to swap out the tranny fluid and subsequently the fluid in the torque converter.... not sure how that applies, because I get the vibration when the car isn't moving.

Dtruj505

Looks just like the '03 I bought. Doing similar engine work, although I think I only have 1 bad o2 sensor as of yet.

Strange question, do you have a strong vibration if you hold the revs at 2k-2.3k rpm (with car in park)? I've googled it a bit, and it seems like a somewhat common problem with no real fixes. One is to take off this block of metal at the rear of the transfer case that supposedly helps with vibration dampening. Another is to swap out the tranny fluid and subsequently the fluid in the torque converter.... not sure how that applies, because I get the vibration when the car isn't moving.

I have not noticed vibration but I also have not tried to hold those rpm in park- ill check it out once I get it back together and let you know

Dtruj505

Hey guys, sorry no post for a while. I have had ongoing problems that have hampered my fun stuff.

As of late I have had to replace the Knock sensor, last person who had it had cut the wire, put on new valve cover gaskets to remedy the common leak, it did not fix it, replace o rings on the injectors, replace all 4 CV boots on the front, replace another bad o2, replace burnt out bulbs, put in a stereo with Bluetooth, and put in a thermostat as the last person who owned it had removed it completely.

I also removed the third-row seat and plan on using the storage space for an axillary fuel tank.

As of today it is running clean and smooth. I hope that the issues are done and I can start having fun with it.

Taking it out to do some Albuquerque west mesa exploring with the kids this afternoon.
I did get the sliders instaled as well and will post some pics asap. I also swiched phone cell compans and the pics are on my old phone.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne