Towing a Montero Gen I with a Gen II?

So is it possible to tow a Gen I with a 95 Gen II with a 3.5?

Sorry Im looking to pick up my first Montero soon. It's not running so...

Also can you tow on a dolly if it's in 2wd lo?

Any help here would be awesome.

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
Guys on here have towed other Monteros with their 3.5 engines more than a few times, but how are you going to tow with one if you don't already own one? There is no such thing as 2-lo with the stock transfer case, but you can tow with a dolly if the rear wheels are off the ground and it is in 2wd, or you can remove the rear drive shaft and tow it with the rear wheels on the ground.

Confused yet?

Guys on here have towed other Monteros with their 3.5 engines more than a few times, but how are you going to tow with one if you don't already own one? There is no such thing as 2-lo with the stock transfer case, but you can tow with a dolly if the rear wheels are off the ground and it is in 2wd, or you can remove the rear drive shaft and tow it with the rear wheels on the ground.

Confused yet?

A buddy of mine has a Gen II, so he'd be the one towing.

As you can tell I don't know much about the Monteros yet... I've always been a Land Rover guy and I've decided to switch to the dark side. :clapsmile:

Thanks for the advice!

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
A buddy of mine has a Gen II, so he'd be the one towing.

As you can tell I don't know much about the Monteros yet... I've always been a Land Rover guy and I've decided to switch to the dark side. :clapsmile:

Thanks for the advice!

I made the switch from Jeeps, at least now we will have reliable rigs!

plh

Explorer
sure can. My '88 is a MT - so put in transmission in neutral and the t-Case in neutral - not sure if the automatics have a neutral detent in the t-case however, so those the drive shaft should be removed. This is my '93 tugging it around with a tow bar.

88_93_PS.jpg

ultrakill

Adventurer
sure can. My '88 is a MT - so put in transmission in neutral and the t-Case in neutral - not sure if the automatics have a neutral detent in the t-case however, so those the drive shaft should be removed. This is my '93 tugging it around with a tow bar.

View attachment 252709

I'm pretty sure the t-case will go in Neutral if it's not engaged between 2-hi and 4-hi. I was in N on Trans. and was shifting out of 2-hi on T-case. I just left it in middle on accident and put Tranny in L and went nowhere. I could hear the engine go but I was going nowhere in L, then I tried D and same thing happened. Freaked me out for a second Till I realized T-case was not engaged.

plh

Explorer
I'm pretty sure the t-case will go in Neutral if it's not engaged between 2-hi and 4-hi. I was in N on Trans. and was shifting out of 2-hi on T-case. I just left it in middle on accident and put Tranny in L and went nowhere. I could hear the engine go but I was going nowhere in L, then I tried D and same thing happened. Freaked me out for a second Till I realized T-case was not engaged.

Automatic? I just wouldn't trust a phantom (no detent) neutral position while towing.

Last edited:

rxinhed

Dirt Guy
Disconnect the rear driveshaft on the automatics for flat towing. I've towed numerous Montero, rather not have toast.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles