Importing a Japanese Cruiser...

The Adam Blaster

Expedition Leader
Does anyone know of a good website for a company that does this?
Specifically to western Canada.
I've been thinking more and more about this, and i want to start pricing them out but i'm only running across the same couple of websites each time i search.

Pskhaat

2005 Expedition Trophy Champion
I assume you're talking about Greg & Sheldon at G&S Cruiser Parts? I've known those blokes for many years. Are you comparison pricing?

the dude

Adventurer
G&S typically doesn't import full cruisers. Parts only.

I would check out http://www.outbackimports.ca/

there are also quite a few threads over on Ih8mud about importing your own and I believe if you search over their there will be a list of importers.

mountainpete

Spamicus Eliminatus
Luxury Imports brings in the best, but you pay for it.

If you are looking for something solid, but not perfect and that is already here in Alberta, contact Canyon Creek Toyota in Calgary. They have a number of 70 and 80 series and I would be happy to snap some pictures for you if you wish.

Pete

RobinP

Observer
This is a link to the local (Vancouver) buysell.com with a search done on Toyota Land Cruiser, 1989-1994, diesel.

Almost all of the results will be Japanese spec imports, most of which are on various lots around town. Hope this helps!

The Adam Blaster

Expedition Leader
Awesome, thanks for all the info guys.
I've posted this same question on a few sites, and have gotten little help.

I really appreciate it!

bj70_guy

Adventurer
I bought my 74 from Outback and would definitely recommend them. They do really nice work and deliver a sweet truck. They aren't cheap but in this case I think you get what you pay for. Here's mine when it still had the armour-all on the tires (never again...!)

1167055609_bf46c0108f_o.jpg

1167055111_d5b4e70e43_o.jpg

hks3sgte

César Gómez
I wouldn't mind importing a rust-free FJ56V!
For the price, they can't be beat!

1159175213.jpg

Of course, my preference would be an HJ61 but I have a few years to wait.:(

chet

island Explorer
We have three club members with imports right now. One did it through outback, another through mustang and the last did it himself. both done with an importer have been flawless and the condition is amazing. the last that did it himself got a really good deal but it needed some work (80 series) bottom end bearings needed changing and his tranny went. plus it was quite dirty when he got it. I was sooooo close to importing an HJ61 from outback but didn't pull the deal. they were great to work with.

I have talked to Wayne at Luxury but he has moved back east now so it makes things a little bit harder.

Ireland

Adventurer
Apparently Marco has left Outback imports and the new owner is definitely not what Marco was, I suggest doing your homework before committing....
Wayne at Luxury has probably the very best reputation out there and you will have zero hassle with his company and services.

Psilosin

Look around locally first...there are quite a few already imported units available now and prices are at an all time low because of it. You can still save by importing yourself but there is always the potential risk...and the wait.

Head on over to ivoac.ca (import vehicle owners of canada) for lots of info and friendly advice on the in and outs of searching for, buying and owning an imported grey market vehicle.

lowenbrau

Explorer
Wayne left town but he still will sell you a truck and deliver it to Calgary. You'll just have to deal with the fact that he's in Ontario. Both my BJ74s were originally imported by Luxury. One of my buddies just bought a HDJ81 from Island Auto and, while they know nothing about Cruisers, the price was good and it is a very good truck. I flew out with him to help him drive it back and it was a real pleasure.

I think there are better deals in the used market though if you watch for them. People get all excited about a diesel Cruiser and then drive them for a couple of years and realize that they were looking for something with more HP and cupholders.

I also think that trucks with 120-180 KM are better deals than the lower mileage units. They are both going to go to 400,000 easily anyway, don't pay a big premium for a few thousand.

The Adam Blaster

Expedition Leader
I have been looking a little on the local for sale websites, craigslist, kijiji, usededmonton etc.
I haven't found anything to be "the perfect one" quite yet.
I wouldn't be opposed to buying one that had already been imported and driven around for a while, but my preference is for something as "new" as possible.
I do want one with super-low km's that hasn't been lifted or abused (yet). I know the drivetrains on these vehicles are pretty solid, but other things do wear out with increasing km's on the odometer.

I do see a price jump for the ones that have less than 100k on them, but i'm still in the kicking tire phase, and i'm thinking i won't actually get one until early next year. But, i do like doing the research first, so i have plenty of time for that. And a side bonus of waiting is by this time next year, i'll be looking at '94 model years. :D

Right now, i'm just going to build up a long list of importer websites in my favourites folder, and keep watching what is out there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles