OR, N. Willamette NF Fall Colors Sunday Drive, 10/19/2014

compactcamping

Explorer
Went for a beautiful Fall cruise through the mountains with prefect 70 degree weather, falls colors, great scenery and a few waterfalls. Unfortunately our friend which planned to go, got sick Saturday and was unable to join us. Our basic route followed FSR 2207 from outside of Detroit up the mountain, along the ridges, then down into the Cedar Creek drainage and out toward Elkhorn.

The drive starts with great views along French creek. After the 2223 / 2207 intersection, it starts to climb. A little ways up we made our first stop for a short hike to Marten Buttes falls, which this time of year is a wet cliff side with great views.

The drive over the pass is steep and hanging on the side of the cliff in one spot with beautiful views.

Once over the pass, you follow the ridges for a ways passing the trailheads for hiking to Phantom Bridge and Opal lake. The initial plan was a hike down to Opal lake and the outflow waterfall. After surveying the strenuous 30+ degree rocky hike down, decided we didn’t want to work that hard and would save it for another day.

As you follow the ridges, there are a number of small creeks which drain down to Cedar Creek

For lunch we took on off shoot which heads up into the area of Stony Creek.

After lunch, head back down and continued along 2207 for some beautiful forest scenery.

Then we took one of my favorite off shoots up along Cedar creek. This section gets rough and dense in places with some nice small waterfalls.

Once back on 2207 we continued down. For the next few miles Cedar creek is close to the road but out of sight for the most part. As you past into the Opal Creek Recreation Area, Cedar starts to follow along the road and there is nice grove of Alders with Vine Maples that where just starting to turn.

It was starting to get late so we picked up the pace. The light was bad for pictures at Sullivan Falls, so we only made a brief stop. Shortly before Elkhorn the road is paved again. As you head down towards Hwy 22, you get on and off views of Little N. Santiam river. Once on Hwy 22 it’s about a half hour drive home for us.

Other spots after Sullivan Falls worth stopping at that we just pasted through heading for home this time are the Shade Cove CG bridge, Three Pools, Henline Falls, Little N. Santiam Trail (3338) and Salmon Falls.

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
Thanks, as always, for sharing the details of your trips. I really appreciate the route information . . . sort of like having my own reconnaissance force.

mkitchen

Explorer
VERY NICE

I can think of a whole lot worse ways to spend a day. That is some great looking country. You have more green during fall colors than we have in the middle of summer. Kind of jealous, at least till the rains come, then I am happier where I am at.
Again, thanks for sharing.
Mikey

compactcamping

Explorer
Thanks! Mikey, I don't have webbed feet, but I do like Oregon's liquid sunshine :) Combine liquid sunshine with a hard freeze and this area takes on a whole new kind of beauty.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke