Tools to keep in the Disco II

beastpath

Hi all,

Would like input on what tools I should keep in the Disco II at all times. Would like to keep it sensible and compact (to fit in the compartments in the back). I did some searching and found some lists, the one here from Pangaea Expeditions seemed reasonable, although I would probably cut out the air tools and not be so specific with brand names. Any additions Land Rover guys think are essential to have?

Craftsman Professional metric ratcheting wrench set (8-19mm)
Snap-on ratcheting screwdriver
15lb Powertank with tire gauge
Pneumatic 3/8 impact gun
Snap-on assorted screwdriver bits
SAE wrench set
Metric wrench set (with extra 10mm, 13mm and 17mm wrenches)
1/4", 3/8" and 1/2" socket wrenches
Hand drill
Corresponding standard and deep well socket sets
Spare bulbs, fuses, belts and hoses
Spare fuel filter
2 quarts of oil
1 quart of 90wt gear oil
1 quart ATF
1 roll of Rescue Tape
Gaffers Tape
Pry Bar
Snap-on wobble socket extension
Latex Gloves

David Harris

Expedition Leader
Looks like a good start. I've found it's best to do all the work on the truck with the tools you have in it. Every time you do a repair or maintenance step on the vehicle add the tools you used to the in vehicle kit and then continue to use that tool set from then on. This way you are assured of having the required tools for any likely repair on hand when needed.

You'd be surprised how few tools you need to keep these trucks going. I just carry a small basic tool kit in it's plastic case, a small tool bag, and a medium plastic tool box for electrical and a few bulkier items.

Last edited:

Quest4ADV

Adventurer
This should cover most of it:
snapon.jpg

getlost4x4

Expedition Leader
Barring catastrophic failure.

Metric Ratchet Wrenches 8mm through 19mm
Sockets 8mm through 19mm
Extensions
Some Screw Drivers
Vice Grips
Allen Keys
Torx Head for Ratchet
Milwakee 12V Impact Ratchet
Land Rover Jack
27mm Socket for wheel lugs

evansjoem

I would hold off on the fuel filter unless you plan on dropping the fuel tank out in the bush. U-joints are a biggie to carry

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

beastpath

Looks like a good start. I've found it's best to do all the work on the truck with the tools you have in it. Every time you do a repair or maintenance step on the vehicle add the tools you used to the in vehicle kit and then continue to use that tool set from then on. This way you are assured of having the required tools for any likely repair on hand when needed.

You'd be surprised how few tools you need to keep these trucks going. I just carry a small basic tool kit in it's plastic case, a small tool bag, and a medium plastic tool box for electrical and a few bulkier items.

Will keep that in mind! So far haven't done any repairs (yet).

Nope, that set is missing a pozidriv #3 (every LR owner should have one)

The screwdriver or the bit?

Barring catastrophic failure.

Metric Ratchet Wrenches 8mm through 19mm
Sockets 8mm through 19mm
Extensions
Some Screw Drivers
Vice Grips
Allen Keys
Torx Head for Ratchet
Milwakee 12V Impact Ratchet
Land Rover Jack
27mm Socket for wheel lugs

12 volt cordless or corded impact? any recommendations?

I would hold off on the fuel filter unless you plan on dropping the fuel tank out in the bush. U-joints are a biggie to carry

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good point. Not likely I would be doing that. Easier to get pulled out.

Thanks all, great input so far. Trying to keep things simple and organized.

Rovertrader

Supporting Sponsor
shop manual, OBD II scanner, and the thin walled driveshaft socket with built in extension- oh, and a hub socket.
CDL comes in real handy as it allows 2wd vs no wd...

proper4wd

Expedition Leader
The screwdriver or the bit?

Pozidriv #3 screwdriver is sufficient... I have a "custom" one that I made using a stubby handle put together with a normal length blade. One of my favorite hand tools. It fits in small places due to the small handle, yet reaches into difficult spots with the longer blade. You can take apart just about the whole interior on a DII with this and a panel tool.

Lono

Adventurer
Aren't the bolts on the front end of the rear propshaft 9/16th or something oddly non-metric like that? I found that out the hard way on the side of the road when my flex-couple bit the dust on 91 in VT when I tried to disconnect it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke