2001 Jeep Cherokee - Budget/Quality Weekend Overlander

jordan004

Crown was some of the original parts company to Jeep. In the spring of 2012 I bought a 1 owner XJ in S.C. It had 68,000 on it. I had to replace leafs, coils etc. saggy rear end. I called a number of people and they confirmed.. but when i pulled all the junk off "Crown" was stamped on the leafs etc. I now have 83,000 on the jeep... mine is a 2000 Red Classic.. same 16 inch wheels you have..

I look forward to seeing the build...

iluv83vettes

Adventurer
:coffee: your humor, it hurts! Thanks. Didn't know if there was any more to it, thanks!
Sorry I was really tired when I posted that. I have never seen more instructions on a forum on how to do it than that.

Here is the tie rod

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000C5400E/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s02?ie=UTF8&psc=1

You will also need a tie rod end

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000C59W7U/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

You will also need the sleeve that connects the tie rod end to the tie rod. I got my from my local auto parts store because it was just as cheap there.

virginia_jeeper

Craft Beer Explorer
Sorry I was really tired when I posted that. I have never seen more instructions on a forum on how to do it than that.

Here is the tie rod

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000C5400E/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s02?ie=UTF8&psc=1

You will also need a tie rod end

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000C59W7U/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

You will also need the sleeve that connects the tie rod end to the tie rod. I got my from my local auto parts store because it was just as cheap there.

MOOG parts needed for TJ / XJ upgrade:
Tie Rod End - ES3096L
Adjusting Sleeve - ES2079S
Tie Rod - DS1312

I just noticed that the first review had PN for needed things. Thanks for the links, it looks like for a solid upgrade you cant beat under 100 bucks.

virginia_jeeper

Craft Beer Explorer
Crown was some of the original parts company to Jeep. In the spring of 2012 I bought a 1 owner XJ in S.C. It had 68,000 on it. I had to replace leafs, coils etc. saggy rear end. I called a number of people and they confirmed.. but when i pulled all the junk off "Crown" was stamped on the leafs etc. I now have 83,000 on the jeep... mine is a 2000 Red Classic.. same 16 inch wheels you have..

I look forward to seeing the build...

That may be the reason that they are no good? OEM however after only 68k miles, I wouldn't expect OEM parts of such importance fail.

virginia_jeeper

Craft Beer Explorer
Done some research, I think I will piece together a Rubicon Express 3.5 kit. Just a little bit at a time. So to finalize my lift plans: 3.5 RE, ZJ tierod, RE steering stablizer, Rugged Ridge SYE (front drive shaft to complete that if im not mistaken?). That should be most of it. Ill be using the coils, leaf springs (spring pack), lower control arms, and sway bar links... Should be the majority of the actualy lift compens. Add in anything you think ill need. Thanks.

virginia_jeeper

Craft Beer Explorer
GOD bless it. I typed all of that and it didn't let me post it.. let me try again....

Im looking at the ZJ upgrade stuff and trying to finalize my parts list. So here it is:

-Moog DS1312 - Tie Rod with Right Inner?
-Moog DS1238 - Drag Link with Right outer
-Moog ES3094L - LO
-Moog ES3095R - LI

While im under there ill be doing Moog Stablizer Damper, Stablizer Bar Bushings, Stablizer Bar end links, Control arm bushings, and Track Bar bushings, and Ball joints. Rock Auto had the ball joints; R/L uppers listed for 20.79 and the R/L lowers for 32.79 (both moog), does that sound about right?

Thanks guys in advanced.

duckhunter71

Adventurer
My 2001 XJ had the Rubicon Express 4.5" lift on it when I purchased it and it rode much better than I expected it to. I would recommend the 3.5" over the 4.5" just because it felt a little excessive at times in height. 31" tires on a 3.5" lift would have been perfect, I think.

My XJ (That I miss dearly!):

virginia_jeeper

Craft Beer Explorer
Bit of an update. I had the jeep taken to an alignment shop to get the tires rotated and balanced. All of the tires took weight. He said everything in the front end looked good except for the track bar. The new Moog TB is at the house. Ill be putting that along with new CA bushings and Sway bar bushings, rusty's HD coil springs, and JCROffroads DIY front bumper on after the holidays.

virginia_jeeper

Craft Beer Explorer
All - Question...

I've been trying to fine leaf spring pack replacements for my old worn out leafs and blocks. Im going with Rusty's 3" springs HD (I'll have the JCR front bumper and I know Rusty's springs ride well, at least from everyones comments...) But I have had some issue finding 2.5 - 3" spring packs.. But to my amazement I stumble across OME 2.75 Medium Duty springs on amazon for 257 bucks shipped... Not bad. The product number for them is CS033RB. Any input or thoughts? Thanks.

stolz

Adventurer
A lot of XJ people talk down upon Rusty's and Rough Country's stuff, so I tend to stay away from those companies. I would recommend the OME that you found. :smiley_drive:

virginia_jeeper

Craft Beer Explorer
Rusty's coils ordered. I went with the standard duty springs with the spring rate of 150 lbs. because if and when I had a bumper and possible a winch I figured I can just add spacers to level it out.. Moog trackbar is sitting at the house. Ill go ahead and order the Sway Bar bushings and control arm bushings so I can throw everything under the front at once. The OME spring packs I have to order on the first.

SN: Also on the first, ill be ordering a Stingray Low profile Roof Basket and ARB 4' Awning. Super excited about that! Oh, and maybe a Frontrunner Outfitters Flatpack soft sided storage.

Thoughts.

virginia_jeeper

Craft Beer Explorer
So, I was doing some research today and found that I could get the ARB 2000 for 205 from CARiD (never shopped there before, anyone ever use them?) w/ free shipping. Instead of the 1250 like I had original planned. Is the extra 2' of awning worth the extra 50 bucks???? And, will I have an issue mounting that to the stingray LP rack?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior