1989 VW Synchro Diesel Westy hardtop on eBay

Keyne

Adventurer
Wow, seems like the holy grail of syncros right there... Joker, diesel, manual, high top, low miles and looks really clean. Interesting its only a 4 speed. If only they weren't so insanely expensive.

Riptide

Explorer
I agree - I definitely think they're cool, but I don't get it (why they're so expensive). :confused:

Well, they are an admittedly awesome and rare combination of capability and accommodations. Pretty hard to beat, actually. I'd love to have it.

stclair

Adventurer
That Syncro fix will cost you more than the purchase price. As well as blood, sweat, and tears. That said, maybe one day, I'll get another. This one is tempting.

Canadark

I would imagine the hard top Club Joker version would be a bit more comfortable in the cooler weather, or where the wind howls...

Exactly right. I owned one (1989 gasser, not a diesel) for awhile and it was way more comfortable than a canvas pop-top in colder conditions. Note the double-pane windows in the rear of the vehicle. The hightop is insulated as well. Having fulltime standing room is a great feature on these vans. You just need a place to store it properly, which we didn't have :(

Keyne

Adventurer
Sold $43k. For those it seems surprisingly reasonable compared to some syncro prices I have seen in the past. Maybe Gowesty bought it to flip it for double...

adam88

Explorer
Still... 43k.... wow. I'm sure it didn't cost anywhere that new... one of the few vehicles in the 1980's that still sells for more than it was bought for :)

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
Still... 43k.... wow. I'm sure it didn't cost anywhere that new... one of the few vehicles in the 1980's that still sells for more than it was bought for :)

Adjusted for inflation, a new westy syncro would have been over $80k. Sportsmobile money, for sure.

arlon

Adventurer
That is a really neat van. I hope someone just got their "dream car"! (-:}

I guess I'll just have to live with my Astro...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke