3rd Gen Montero on Top Gear US

magoh76

Adventurer
I'm not a big fan of the US version of Top Gear, but their latest episode featured a 2002 Montero Limited. In the episode someone says it's on 35s but there's a shot of the tires where, if you pause it, you can see they are 285/75r16.
"It's like a Land Rover except reliable and has a slightly less attractive woman in the passenger seat." :rolleyes:

Link to episode (not sure how long it will stay up):
http://www.history.com/shows/top-gear/videos/appalachian-trail

snowaddict91

Adventurer
Thanks for posting this. Saw the commercial during counting cars then proceeded to fall asleep and miss the entire episode lol.

bikerjosh

Explorer
watched it for about 20 minutes. the coolness of the original TG has been lost by invented storylines and over production, "oh look his car is being carried by a gondola" that is a surprise to the rest of the cast. "oh, he is driving on to a moving transport with a porta potty". Jesus, how about getting back to driving/wrecking cars. The American version bites! It was cool though seeing a Montero off road even if it wasn't a Gen 2.5 :sombrero:

jhill15

Explorer
I gotta say he does have a pretty sweet gen 3! "Its like a land rover except reliable and has a slightly less attractive woman in the passenger seat" oh crap thats the same reason I got outta my rover lol jk no really lol

Igorskiy86

Observer
Not the biggest fan of US version of that show, but it was pretty cool that used the montero and did not destroy it in a process. The hard thing with choosing montero for something like that is to actually remember that they are out there. It did well on all the obstacles that were thrown at the car from high speed driving to climbing a saab. If I was to keep the original bumper on mine the bar they had in a show was going to be my choice.

Monstero

Adventurer
That bar bent quite easily when he was bumping the Mercedes and Jag in the ********. If you notice when he backed off the Saab after changing the tire they didnt show it. Im pretty sure the bumper stayed on the Saab and they had to reattach it. (Cmon lets just be realistic). The monty did great in the episode and tanner flogged it to death, but there was spots where they had to stop and fix it I bet. As for TG, I watch the US version just for a time killer, but it is sooo scripted and ridiculous I am not a fan. The UK version I love, but even it has gotten more scripted than it used to be back in the day.

nckwltn

Explorer
just caught some of the episode, fast forwarded most of the way through.

The Montero did look nice with the rack and lower black trim. I'm kind of mixed on this.... you put a montero on a semi popular tv show, and its going to gain some interest, which is going to drive prices up, and make it more difficult to find parts at the yard. On the other hand, if you're already in the game, people less in the know will have respect for the capabilities.

It's a bit off topic, but If you enjoy UK TopGear, go to youtube and find a show called 'Road Kill'. It's 2 guys, who ACTUALLY know about cars (mostly american stuff) who take real, unscripted road trips.

There is a great 3 part series where they attempt to go to alaska from los angeles for some ice racing. The show is hosted by two guys who work for MotorTrend magazine, so the show has good production value.

I would suggest to just start at episode 1 and watch all the way through to 30 something (which is where they are at now). One of my favorites is a road trip from LA to Reno in an El Camino. They make it to the summit racing store in Reno where they've pre-ordered a crate engine. They then proceed to do an engine swap in the parking lot of Summit Racing, driving the Camino back to LA with the old engine in the back.

Monstero

Adventurer
You've gained my interest, I will check that out (thanks for finding a way to waste 30 hrs of my time...lol)

bikerjosh

Explorer
@nckwltn 'Road Kill' is a serious time suck. I've gotten sidetracked by that show a couple times, and lost out on wrench time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles