diesel astro camper project

Stroverlander

Adventurer
Hi tinworm, nice to see you here. That diesel and trans swap seemed like a good bit of work so nice to see you considering keeping as a camper project rather than selling your unique Astro!

tinworm

Nice conversion!

I dig it!
Keep us updated.

Thanks!

here are a number of videos of the engine swap in operation-

4cyl diesel early run-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-58YU9QyN8

drive around town (this is a long boring vid just to warn)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALuo4-5oheY

here is a vid of a test start with the bigger motor in it. The specs for the 4cyl diesel were 72hp, and the new motor is about 130-140 hp

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vCy6p5eDw2c

tinworm

Here's another option that I've seen. These are from an older Safari Condo catalog:

this is a cool idea, I wonder if it works with the regular doors, or only the 3 door version? definitely a clever idea. I wonder if these pop tops are still available for the older vans

tinworm

Hi tinworm, nice to see you here. That diesel and trans swap seemed like a good bit of work so nice to see you considering keeping as a camper project rather than selling your unique Astro!

Thanks! I think it makes much more sense as well. I followed your build with interest! a good source of inspiration

guidolyons

Addicted to Gear Oil
Cool diesel conversion. Where/what adapter did you use to mate the Merc diesel to the T5?

Nice solution for the clutch pedal, I guess tracking down a stock Astro clutch pedal was near impossible? I don't think I've ever seen an Astro van with a manual transmission.

tinworm

Cool diesel conversion. Where/what adapter did you use to mate the Merc diesel to the T5?

Nice solution for the clutch pedal, I guess tracking down a stock Astro clutch pedal was near impossible? I don't think I've ever seen an Astro van with a manual transmission.

Thanks!

The adapter came from a company called 4x4labs.com. its spendy, but you get a custom flywheel, adapter plate for GM transmissions, and a pilot bearing spacer. I had a number of issues since my application was weird, but its a plug and play kit essentially.

I did manage to find an astro specific clutch pedal, but my issues came down to the pivot. Astros up to i think 87 or 88 had an exisiting pivot provision since 5 speed could be ordered on the early vans. My 89 did not, and building one that was reliable and spring loaded was difficult. I did get it to work using actually VW clutch pedal springs,, but i was dealing with so many clutch problems at the time that i redid it completely to eliminate the pedal as a possible cause.

I know a couple other astro guys have successfuky used S10 master cylinders and i think a modified S10 pedal.

Last edited:

tinworm

Preaching to the choir. Keep up the good work.

SG

The oldies are the goodies in my opinion as far as sheer ruggedness. The 617 is completely mechanical, once its started, that sucker will run out of fuel before it dies. I once removed a battery from a running parts car to start another car. Left it running.

Btw just read you entire thread, incredible work! You sir are a welding god. Big fan of the old IDI 6.9s.

hippipippi

This project excites me! I loved my Astro van and manual transmission would only have made my heart grow. Good work, really looking forward to seeing what you come up with for the camper!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

arlon

Adventurer
I tried a number of ideas for a "camper" setup. In the end, the simplest has won out. I tossed all the hard built in stuff for a simple cot. The cot for ME seems to be the best of all worlds. I can have a cargo van or a camper in minutes.

If mine had a decent diesel in it, it would be near perfect. Loved following your diesel conversion when it was going on.

large.jpg

Still kept one box for my kitchen stuff.
large.jpg

Still have room for two if the wife decides to go (seldom).
large.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior