diesel astro camper project

tinworm

Hi new member, just spent the last 4 hours becoming convinced by this great forum that I need to build a camper out of my extra van that I was planning to sell. :) Looking for any all advice and opinions on how to fit the van out. New to the camping world, but would love to start taking some mild road trips and build from there

Specs on my vehicle are its a 1989 Chevy Astro shorty 2WD, RWD. Originally it was a 4.3 chevy V6, but I converted the drivetrain to (now), a mercedes 3.0 617 diesel mated to a T5 5-speed manual.
Other than that, its an empty shell apart from driver and passenger front seats. I originally built it to use as a work van, but as my issues with the drivetrain and getting it worked out bore fruit, I ultimately bought an express van which is bigger and more capable for work. At the end of the day I have an empty short diesel minivan begging for the next step.

Not sure what the picture rules are here for new posters, but will try and add some pics to this post. EDIT- worked, will add more

Van as I first got it. Was a florists van, and needed some body repair parts. Replaced passenger front door, and hood with fishmarket van parts

that got old really fast, and since I was using it for work, was really unprofessional to see pull up, so had it painted a nice classic chevy green-

The 4.3 was reliable and just about 200k, but after an engine fire incident and some other issues, that plus the consistent low fuel economy had me looking around for alternate drivetrains. I love diesels, especially mercedes diesels, so I decided I would convert it to diesel.

I decided also I wanted a manual transmission van after some winter snow and ice fun. If I don't have 4x4, I might as well have a clutch. The originally power application is on and off with a very basic open diff, so this van was one of the worst vehicles ive ever driven in snow.

At first I was going for fuel economy, so went with a 4cyl 616 diesel that I turbocharged. Getting this drivetrain in the van was a lot of work which I will try to condense to move on to my camper plans

First I grabbed a parts van and broke it down for the subframe. (astros are unibody with an engine cradle).

Then the most difficult part was finding an astro specific stick. The T5 is in everything, but the drivetrain for an astro is off center, so the stick handle has a custom adapter to bring it over to the drivers seat. I found a blown original gearbox, and had it rebuilt using an early 90s S10 gearbox. What the astro 5-speed looks like-

I needed to mate this to the MB diesel, so I bought a nice adapter kid offline which included a flywheel-

stock and new drivetrain compared with the 4cyl-

Last edited:

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
Looks great. Will be a rare beast with that engine, for sure.

The only negative you'll have from having the shorty van is if you want to have space to move around AND a bed. Even with my 2003 "extended" van, I have very minimal room forward of the (~70" bed) bed and behind the front seats. I can't even imagine trying to fit everything into an even SHORTER space!

tinworm

diesel drivetrain test fit on the astro subframe. I realized I was about to have a huge height clearance issue, so notched the spare subframe I had sourced. (ultimately this was a waste of time and found a different, better option)

original and notched subframe-

That notch idea was barking up the wrong tree, as It totally interfered with steering bars in a bad way. The diesel was quite a bit taller, so I devised a plan to do a subframe lift to generate the necessary space. 3.5 inch spaces were welded to the frame-

That gave me the necessary height to service the motor and have it fit, but I had a new problem of the van being miles high on the front, and stock on the rear-

I resolved this by installing 2 inch drop spindles to the front. This van now has a 3.5 subframe lift and a 2 inch drop combined for an overall body lift of 1.5 inches with a lower subframe I hoped to recover with bigger tires. I then matched the look with new heavy duty rear springs later, getting rid of the tired fiberglass monoleaf that came factory.

drivetrain how it looked without seats-

To bring the engine swap to a close, Ill hit some other high points, one of which was after messing about with the stock astro crappy clutch pedal and an S10 pedal, I fabricated a little sub floor box to hold a VW style floor clutch pivot, which worked great. I also had to move the battery to fit a big toploader fuel filter, so that went under the floor behind the drivers seat

battery box-

aftermarket clutch pedal and pivot-

mounted in box and bolted in-

now it was a running and driving 4cyl turbo diesel 5-speed, had to switch the diff to a 4.50, but after that is was only slightly slower than a mercedes 240D manual-

last change is after 8k miles I decided the 4 cyl was too gutless, so swapped from a 616 to a 617 5cyl. When I did that I reworked the engine mounts and a bunch of other little things that were begging, but also made some mistakes.

van how it currently more or less looks now with bigger tires-

that brings us up to the present, so now its time to make a camper out of it!

tinworm

Looks great. Will be a rare beast with that engine, for sure.

The only negative you'll have from having the shorty van is if you want to have space to move around AND a bed. Even with my 2003 "extended" van, I have very minimal room forward of the (~70" bed) bed and behind the front seats. I can't even imagine trying to fit everything into an even SHORTER space!

I was toying with the idea of balooning out the body and cutting off the stock current sides and rear after the cab side. Definitely agree, the shorty will be a squeeze for my wife and I if we want to fit some other amenities in. I was hoping to rig up some cooking type stuff

Jb1rd

Explorer
That is bad *****, I love people who not only have vision but the ingenuity to pull it off!! Keep us posted, but I think you are going to need some type of bubble roof that pops up or maybe try to adapt an old westy roof, space is going to be a premium!! Or a RTT could be pretty cool with a room extension :)

spencyg

This Space For Rent
I love this! You don't many chances to see a truly unique rig these days. What kind of MPG's are you getting? It has got to be good!.

SG

mdmead

Adventurer
Good to see you over here Tinworm. Glad you are now thinking to keep the van as I enjoyed watching the build on ASV.

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
I was toying with the idea of balooning out the body and cutting off the stock current sides and rear after the cab side. Definitely agree, the shorty will be a squeeze for my wife and I if we want to fit some other amenities in. I was hoping to rig up some cooking type stuff

Here's another option that I've seen. These are from an older Safari Condo catalog:

safari_condo_sl_bed01.jpg

safari_condo_sl_bed02.jpg

safari_condo_sl_bed03.jpg

safari_condo_sl_bed04.jpg

tinworm

That is bad *****, I love people who not only have vision but the ingenuity to pull it off!! Keep us posted, but I think you are going to need some type of bubble roof that pops up or maybe try to adapt an old westy roof, space is going to be a premium!! Or a RTT could be pretty cool with a room extension :)

Thanks!
definitely extremely cramped. We are playing with options, like maybe getting a single axle small camper trailer and making it sleeping only, then installing a bench seat in the astro, and making the back section cooking supplies and storage. Right now its castles in the sky discussion though.

Problem number one is the wife hates driving a manual tranny, so I have to figure out how to get her to enjoy it.

tinworm

I love this! You don't many chances to see a truly unique rig these days. What kind of MPG's are you getting? It has got to be good!.

SG

Thanks!
Highest MPG ever was 29ish mpg with the 4cyl diesel and the original 3.2 something diff. Admittedly, the van was very very close to undrivable with that diff. Switched to a 4.52 I think, and MPG was about 25-27ish. With the bigger motor at twice the HP im going back to the original diff, and am hoping for the same range, but im not sure what to expect. It is quite a block to push around.

The old diesels aren't super efficient, why I love them is sheer reliability and simplicity.

tinworm

Wow.

What kind of torque numbers come with the 617?

Like the new stance.

torque is about 250 Nm @ 2400 rpm from what ive read on the net. The 4.3 TBI was 235 lb·ft (319 N·m) @ 2400 rpm according to wikipedia

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior