H3 LED's

txflyyaker

Observer
Anybody use these bulbs? H3 50w Cree XBD SMD LED Super Bright White Fog DRL Light Bulb Lamp New Projector 6000k. sold by Sirius LED on amazon.

4x4junkie

Explorer
6000K in a LED is going to create huge amounts of glare without much useable light (very strong bluish output on those, about the very last thing you want in rain or fog).

3500-4000K would be much better in a LED, but I've yet to see anyone offer anything in that range as of yet.

I'd suggest just stick with halogen bulbs for now.

Plus others will be in here shortly with their diatribe about how you will also severely endanger all of the lives of everybody else on the road and that you will be a menace on the roadways because you put something other than a halogen bulb in your housing... In this particular case of a 50W (!) 6000K (!) H3 LED in a fog light, I can't say that I would disagree with them, the probability of that is quite high with those.

Last edited:

Haf-E

Expedition Leader
I doubt if they are actually 50W LED bulbs - probably meant they are "50 watt equivalents" or about 10 watts or so LEDs. I don't think the H3 bulb base would give enough heat transfer for the losses of a 50W LED bulb since they need to be kept at much lower temperature than the halogens...

Buyer beware...

WagoneerSX4

Adventurer
You'll never get proper reflection with an LED bulb in a housing made for a halogen bulb. You'll see it coming down the road, but you won't get any usable light in front of your vehicle.

And they still haven't made a bulb like that with enough of a heat sync to not burn itself out in a couple days. Even the ones that use the entire light housing as a heat sync, it's still not enough. The only high wattage LED's that won't burn themselves out with continuous use are the ones with the gigantic finned heat sink off the back of the bulb. And try fitting those suckers in a watertight housing.

And even with those you won't get proper light because of the reflector focus. So to sum it up... No... just no.

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
You'll never get proper reflection with an LED bulb in a housing made for a halogen bulb. You'll see it coming down the road, but you won't get any usable light in front of your vehicle. ..... So to sum it up... No... just no.
Thank you. Smart answer.

java

Expedition Leader
I have seen LED bulbs designed for halogen reflectors that 'appear' to do very well, it good beam pattern and throw. Not like a HID in halogen reflector.

The heat sinks are outside of the light housing. The only thing holding me back so far is the heat output on the lens, not sure its enough to keep snow off. these say they are 22W
9004__64414.1407704698.178.178.jpg

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
I have seen LED bulbs designed for halogen reflectors that 'appear' to do very well, it good beam pattern and throw. Not like a HID in halogen reflector.

The heat sinks are outside of the light housing. The only thing holding me back so far is the heat output on the lens, not sure its enough to keep snow off. these say they are 22W
9004__64414.1407704698.178.178.jpg

careful! ha ha. I can tell you by owning truck lite is that the amount of times you ice up is not as big a deal as how much better you can see. i live in a sloppy snow crap falling part of the world and I only had to stop probably 2 times last winter to clean off.

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
I have never used those that are posted. i have truck lite LED lights in my jeep. They can Ice up. But its very specific conditions that this happens. These conditions happen in newfoundland ALOT. ha ha.

I am going to try these LEDs in my F150 when I get them to see what they are all about. Never know.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier

Members online