Fg637 cv replacement help

gait

Explorer
I replaced king pin bearings on FG649 which required removal of drive shaft. One person, roadside. Hardest part was remembering the sequence of springs in the free wheel hub. A piece of pipe approx 42mmID, 49mmOD x 300mm long was useful for removing / replacing king pin bearing outer shells but not required for drive shaft removal. A bit tight removing / replacing the drive shaft. One of those "its easy once you've done it" jobs. I replaced the inner oil seal (for drive shaft) as a matter of course. A bit of #8 wire to hold brake back plate out of the way without stretching flexible pipe. There's a couple of "liquid" gasket materials and a heap of grease. All just as the manual described. I didn't look too closely at my CV joint. I have some reasonable pics if you need.

Tonkatuff

Adventurer
If you want something tested for durability send it to me! Cheers gait I'll start pulling things apart and see how we go thanks for the pointers

V.W.Dave

Hey guys I was just wondering how strong the FG front ends are? I am looking at using the front diff in a rock crawler.

Tonkatuff

Adventurer
Coming out of creek crossing at 45, hard sides on the brakes trying to lock front diff, possibly under hard acceleration.

gait

Explorer
for some reason this reminds me of

"Go backwards. Forwards. Quickly." :)

in James Bond film "For Your Eyes Only",

but they weren't in an FG! :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior