Looking for advice. After several years overlanding in Aus / Trans Africa / Europe in a Landrover, I now have a growing family and so I'm looking round for a decent sized truck which I can put a camper body on the back. (Also I like trucks and toys and its a good reason to get something bigger).
1) I want a crew cab, I want to be able to have the family properly seated in the cab. Therefore need to be able to seat 2 adults and 2 children. (I know people sometime get round this by having kids travel in back but don't want to do this).
2) Can make do with limited camper body space but I'm 6ft 5" and I also need to accomodate wife, kids and decent sized dog. I want to be able to stand up in the camper body hence discounted SUV / Van sized options.
3) Want decent offroad ability. Quite in to my offroading and don't want to compromise to much on this capability.
4) Not looking to spend £100ks but equally don't want to go really old as want a decent cruising speed and decent reliability. I have a Unimog 404 and its great for playing offroad locally but would like to head off round the world in something more modern.
Against these criteria, the only options that I've been able to find are
1) Crew cab unimog - anywhere from a 1250 upwards. Extra long wheel base. Pros are reliability, good offroad ability, cons are cab part in crew cab format takes up a lot of the space meaning limit space for camper body.
2) Crew Cab MAN - style used by Unicat and others. Only con seems to be price as they have only been made for so long. Might not be quite so capable as Mog offroad, not sure.
Quite like the MAN KAT1 / KAT2 but I don't think there are any crew cab options because of where the engine is located.
Being UK based, don't get the international so don't know whether good or bad but discounted as don't have over here so would have to start importing.
Are there other options that meet my criteria that I've missed?