Front Diff Strength. NPR or FG?

V.W.Dave

Hey guys, I am looking for a different option to building up a Dana front diff for my next rock crawler. I have come across a few local truck wrecking yards that have 4x4 NPS's and quite few fuso canter FG's. I want to know how strong they are? Is there stronger upgrades available for either? The buggy it will be under is only 1900KG fully loaded so fairly light but it will get a work out from both ends. There will be a 600HP LS3 pushing them and 42" sticky comp tires on the other end.

Everything that I have read so far tells me they should be fairly strong but I want to hear from the guys driving them.

Thanks in advance

Last edited:

whatcharterboat

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
Hey guys, I am looking for a different option to building up a Dana front diff for my next rock crawler. I have come across a few local truck wrecking yards that have 4x4 NPR's and quite few fuso canter FG's. I want to know how strong they are? Is there stronger upgrades available for either? The buggy it will be under is only 1900KG fully loaded so fairly light but it will get a work out from both ends. There will be a 600HP LS3 pushing them and 42" sticky comp tires on the other end.

Everything that I have read so far tells me they should be fairly strong but I want to hear from the guys driving them.

Thanks in advance
Dave,

I think you mean NPS not NPR. The NPS front diff is larger than the FG. I don't know how to rate it for HP but the front diff centre on an FG is almost identical to the rear of a V6 Pajero...not close enough that they swap though. We sell a very high quality front Torsen-style diff centre for both the FG and the NPS. We also have plenty of OEM centres that we've taken out when we fit our new diffs in and we don't want much for them.

I don't think anyone will give you any guarantees putting 600hp through them with 42" tyres.

V.W.Dave

Dave,

I think you mean NPS not NPR. The NPS front diff is larger than the FG. I don't know how to rate it for HP but the front diff centre on an FG is almost identical to the rear of a V6 Pajero...not close enough that they swap though. We sell a very high quality front Torsen-style diff centre for both the FG and the NPS. We also have plenty of OEM centres that we've taken out when we fit our new diffs in and we don't want much for them.

I don't think anyone will give you any guarantees putting 600hp through them with 42" tyres.

I stand corrected :) the NPS.

DO you know what diameter the front Axles are? Or what the Burfields/CVs are made of? are they Cromo or just hardened steel?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier