Best toilet for frequent dumping?

pappawheely

Autonomous4X4
One obvious downside is that it'll cost several times more for the unit than something like the Thetford Curve. A less obvious issue is that I'm worried you'll have to work to get one . . . Dometic handles Thetford in North America and, just as they did with the Seitz acrylic windows they distribute, it seems they've decided that to sell only to builders. Annoying, since these are over the counter items in Europe. You may have to order from abroad, buy used off eBay, or cajole a builder into getting one for you. Still, it might be worth the effort and cost. If nothing else, you'll probably only be emptying it half as often.

Thetford will not sell retail, I tried. I ended up buying from England through ebay. Even with shipping and customs I saved about $300 from the retail quotes I got from RV dealers. 100% of the so-called dealers did not know what a cassette toilet was.

stxSteve

I'm pleased with the Thetford C402, it's about as hassle free as dealing with sh.. can be. Their are certainly less costly alternatives and space may be an issue for some - but it works well for me.
image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    533.9 KB · Views: 37

rcharrette

Adventurer
We had a Thetford 402 in our pop up, as others said it makes it as easy as can be under the circumstances :) Never had a problem with leaks, etc. FYI though, we did have the flush disk break on ours. It's the plastic disk that open/closes when "flushing". I looked all over the USA here at RV shops and was quoted an entire new top assembly for the cassette, about $250. I ended up finding just the disk for $13 in the UK and had it sent over, no problems!!

arlon

Adventurer
I use a little portable potty in my van that was only about $75 and has worked well so far. Easy enough to dump into a regular RV dump or simply empty into a toilet. Holds several days worth of activity. Don't recall the brand but I just picked it up off the shelf at a local sporting goods store.

large.jpg

doug720

Expedition Leader
I use a little portable potty in my van that was only about $75 and has worked well so far. Easy enough to dump into a regular RV dump or simply empty into a toilet. Holds several days worth of activity. Don't recall the brand but I just picked it up off the shelf at a local sporting goods store.

large.jpg

Hope you don't get confused on which one to use in the dark...:wings:

Holds several days worth of activity.

I'm not sure that's a great idea for any major off road adventures, especially in the desert.
Personally I use a five gallon bucket with a cheap seat from Wally World and tall kitchen garbage bags. It also doubles as a grey water tank and washing machine. Use many bags before using it as a washer though.

arlon

Adventurer
Holds several days worth of activity.

I'm not sure that's a great idea for any major off road adventures, especially in the desert.
Personally I use a five gallon bucket with a cheap seat from Wally World and tall kitchen garbage bags. It also doubles as a grey water tank and washing machine. Use many bags before using it as a washer though.

I believe the OP was talking about a static application. I don't think offroading has anything to do with the original request for information.

When I'm by myself, I just use a bucket and some cat liter. Works amazingly well for solid matter and no worries about spills when you put the lid back on the pail.

UK4X4

Expedition Leader
We winter camp in Co at 8500 ft it's a large 5th wheel but static , we use the black tank and have a large wheeld poop trolley for depositing the waste
we have the dump on the south side and usually service the unit on a sunny day, so things are mobile, don't plan on emtying an exterior container at 8 am .....

There's three of us and empty every 7_10 days, I build a snow ramp for the trolley to get it in the pickup and the local RV place charges 5 bucks

CO snow is usually just powder where we are, dig out on the first day and just clear paths after the fresh powder.

We don,t use the camper water supply in the winter, we use a water spray with rv de icer in it to fill above the valve and the post clean, it's clean and does not freeze....keeping the black tank mobile, for us , for a 2-3 week vacation we just didn't want the risk of things freezing and having leaks after we left for home.

Not sure on aesthetics for the latest Porta potties, but RV black water and pooh disposal was no issue to us over the last 4 winters

Most properties in the US have an external "inspection" pipe for the septic or sewer system so you don't have to trundle it through the house or flat

Most RV and national park sites have a dump station, which are easy to use and have a hose to clean everything through.

Gravity and cleanup are your friend when it comes to dumping !

I believe the OP was talking about a static application. I don't think offroading has anything to do with the original request for information.

When I'm by myself, I just use a bucket and some cat liter. Works amazingly well for solid matter and no worries about spills when you put the lid back on the pail.

I was attempting a movement towards silliness:)

Terex

Adventurer
We have a Thetford in our compact trailer. Very nice, easy to use setup. My wife insisted on an inside toilet when we had the trailer built.

verdesardog

Explorer
This is my toilet solution. It sits on a platform making it the same height as a standard house toilet. The enclosure is attached to the floor but the toilet and platform are removable so as to be used outside (in a small tent like enclosure) for extended camping trips. I have not used it yet because I'm don't mind going outside when appropriate conditions exist.

2b (2).jpg

2b (1).jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94