Best toilet for frequent dumping?

fourstringfletch

Adventurer
I'm trying to sort out the most craptastic toilet for a unique purpose. More tiny house than overland, but I'd appreciate your thoughts if you've enjoyed your dump... twice.

We're building a guest house of sorts within 300' of a flush toilet and septic system. It's not feasible to tie into this system, so I'd like to find the best throne that would allow me to carry the goods to the real bathroom and make a deposit. I really agree with the concept of keeping #1 and #2 seperate, but that's most important when composting. If they do combine, neutralizing the smell with natural chemicals (to keep septic goblins happy) and a tight seal are priorities. All things considered, I'm leaning toward something like the Thetford 550E since it will be on display in the shower (We will have a grey water system).

550e.jpg

Thanks a load for your thoughts!

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
I hate to seem creepy waxing poetic about a potti, but that Thetford Curve you're thinking about is an exceptionally fine unit. It is, perhaps, most importantly, very close to the height of a residential toilet, and it holds a substantial amount of both fresh and black water, so you aren't dealing with it all of the time. Anything bigger, however, would start to weigh too much to empty easily.

Your mileage may vary, but my potties have always been well behaved and I've been happy with most of the chemicals I've tried. The majority of the treatments available these days are septic safe, not surprisingly, since many an RV park uses a septic field. The pre-measured pouches are, at a modest cost increment, especially easy to use.

What a thing to be an expert on, eh? ;)

(And +5 points for the pun)

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
I have to agree with Mike.

My Thetford has been a relative joy to use. The "anti-glug" valve and positionable neck of my 135 makes dumping it in my home loo quite simple. I find the 2gallon holding tank on my 135 to be a bit too small for a family of three, but Mike is also right that too big of a cassette and hauling and holding it will be cumbersome.

If I were building a tiny-house, I'd also be looking at the style with a separate wheeled cassette that goes out of an outdoor access hatch. While creating some small issues with respect to building out the access door, it also would make it much easier to "service" the cassette without having to set the upper portion aside, move the cassette through the guest house, etc.

java

Expedition Leader
How about something along the lines of this? Plumbed to a "real-ish" toilet, and left under or next to the building. Could then be wheeled and dumped directly into septic tank or cleanout.

tote-tank.jpg

fourstringfletch

Adventurer
Great thoughts guys, thanks.

I should have mentioned that this cabin is at 9,400' here in Colorado and will be used a lot through the winter. With a few feet of snow on the ground, the above options might be tricky. I had no idea these exist though so thanks again.

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
If I were building a tiny-house, I'd also be looking at the style with a separate wheeled cassette that goes out of an outdoor access hatch. While creating some small issues with respect to building out the access door, it also would make it much easier to "service" the cassette without having to set the upper portion aside, move the cassette through the guest house, etc.

Now that's a good point. It'd take a good deal more planning and a little construction, but the wheeled Thetford cassette is pretty much the high point of portable waste disposal. You get you choice of "built-in" (the 402 style)

thetford_cassette_toilet.JPG

or not (the CS200 style):

CassetteC200CSElectincDoor.JPG

You can even read through a write up on using these things here:

http://www.truckcampermagazine.com/camper-tech/ask-the-expert-thetford-cassette-toilet-systems.

One obvious downside is that it'll cost several times more for the unit than something like the Thetford Curve. A less obvious issue is that I'm worried you'll have to work to get one . . . Dometic handles Thetford in North America and, just as they did with the Seitz acrylic windows they distribute, it seems they've decided that to sell only to builders. Annoying, since these are over the counter items in Europe. You may have to order from abroad, buy used off eBay, or cajole a builder into getting one for you.

Still, it might be worth the effort and cost. If nothing else, you'll probably only be emptying it half as often.

peneumbra

Explorer
Hows about just digging an outhouse? Point the door away from your residence and your visitors will have great scenery to look at.

And using an outhouse, in the winter at 9,000+ feet, is great for building character...

doug720

Expedition Leader
Don't feed your guest so much, less need for frequent dumping!

Real idea, Marine/RV toilet with macerator tied into a mobile holding tank, or a fixed holding tank with valve and drain that into a small wheeled holding tank for disposal.

I assume you have a clean out or inspection cover on the septic system, so you don't actually take the waste indoors? It will stink, but typically, grey water smells worse than black!

fourstringfletch

Adventurer
HAHA great advice Doug.

Your assumption is only partially correct. We do have a clean-out in the walk out basement, but it's about 3' off the ground. Unfortunately nobody knows exactly where the septic tank is, so no direct option there. Considering ~ 4' of snow in the yard anyway, I don't see this as a great option even if the dirt wasn't a problem.

So yes, I will most likely be carrying the load through the existing house to the proper toilet.

Thanks again for all the comments; I had no idea how much you guys care about poo! :)

mdmead

Adventurer
I hate to seem creepy waxing poetic about a potti, but that Thetford Curve you're thinking about is an exceptionally fine unit. It is, perhaps, most importantly, very close to the height of a residential toilet, and it holds a substantial amount of both fresh and black water, so you aren't dealing with it all of the time. Anything bigger, however, would start to weigh too much to empty easily.

Your mileage may vary, but my potties have always been well behaved and I've been happy with most of the chemicals I've tried. The majority of the treatments available these days are septic safe, not surprisingly, since many an RV park uses a septic field. The pre-measured pouches are, at a modest cost increment, especially easy to use.

What a thing to be an expert on, eh? ;)

(And +5 points for the pun)

I'm a big fan of the Thetford Curve too. I bought one of for a detached guest room here at home and also use it in my hillbilly camper during snowmobile season. I'm going to pick up a second for our cabin in the near future. Great capacity, but most importantly was the height and bowl shape. It feels more like a real toilet.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz