Time to get a new GPS

AFBronco235

Crew Chief
On the subject of tablet GPS, I run a Surface 2 with MapsPro and like it so far. They developer works closely with his clients to continuously develop the app. He only recently got the offline navigation feature up and running. Still smoothing out the bugs, but works pretty good. You can also download whole maps by state in the US or just the areas you're zoomed in on at multiple levels. You can download ariel maps, street maps, terrain maps from Google, Mapbox, Nokia, Stamen, ESRI, Bing, Open street maps, and a few others. The screen is plenty big enough to see and follow. You do have to purchase a separate Bluetooth GPS dongle, but it is so worth it. Get the separate vehicle mount from ProClipUSA.com and you can easily mount it up however you want.

Here it is in my Bronco.

attachment.php

attachment.php

gfiero

Adventurer
Couple of thoughts here, I use a Nuvi 50 with a SD card with the topo's on it I want for that trip. Never been a problem. I am also getting up to speed on a 8" Samsung with overland navigator and I find it is more of a hassle finding the maps I want, but love the screen size. I have used a laptop with Delorme topo and liked it. right now I am looking for the best set of topo's for Overland navigator. I would love to get the Garmin or Delorme data into the overland navigator system, Any thoughts on that would be appreciated!

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
I don't think you can use the Delorme or Garmin mapping in the tablet. Its the opposite here. the tablet mapping is more up to date than garmin. Plus using sat imagry gives you a very recent look at roads etc.

jCubed

Adventurer
Couple of thoughts here, I use a Nuvi 50 with a SD card with the topo's on it I want for that trip. Never been a problem. I am also getting up to speed on a 8" Samsung with overland navigator and I find it is more of a hassle finding the maps I want, but love the screen size. I have used a laptop with Delorme topo and liked it. right now I am looking for the best set of topo's for Overland navigator. I would love to get the Garmin or Delorme data into the overland navigator system, Any thoughts on that would be appreciated!

Is it possible to use any topo with the Nuvi series? I've always used my iPad and Garmin 60CS. I'd really like the idea of a separate unit for navigation.

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
NO, only garmin mapping. if you want a stand alone unit with lots of functionality, get the monterra. Garmin mapping with Android play store. you can have garmin, BCN and others running in that model. But at that point, I would use a tablet for the extra screen size. The monterra is going on my adventure motorcycle this spring.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier