Time to get a new GPS

gwittman

Adventurer
I have been using a Garmin Street Pilot 2720 for many years and it has proven to be somewhat useful off-road too. I shows many of the off-road trails I have been on and it provides GPS coordinates as well as altitude. There are no topo maps for it but I don't really need that. This unit is getting old and is starting to show signs of failing on me, plus Garmin doesn't support it anymore.

I would like to get a new Garmin that has similar features. Something like the Nuvi 2555LMT has similar features for street driving and has the additional lifetime traffic feature. What I don't know about is if it will also show me the same trails off-road like the Street Pilot did. I also don't know if it will provide GPS coordinates and altitude. Information I have found so far does not indicate the Nuvi has these features but information on the Street Pilot didn't either.

Does anyone know if the Nuvi 2555LMT will give me GPS coordinates, altitude and show some off-road trails?

A friend and I are in the same boat as our gps units are rather long in the tooth. I am not so concerned for street use, but have a hard time driving and looking at a small handheld size unit. Here is some info Garmin sent regarding using an automotive unit for off road use.
Please follow this link for an article about the limitations on topo maps and the automotive device.
http://support.garmin.com/support/searchSupport/simpleCase.htm?caseId={53fede50-70bf-11de-73d6-000000000000}&kbName=garmin Briefly it is saying you will get some but not all the info that youwould get in a, say, hiking style unit. It is too bad they cannot (or, will not) build the hiking attributes into a large screen version for vehicle use.

stingray1300

Explorer
I just spent a month in the Yukon and Alaska with my new Nuvi 3597LMHDT. It tells coordinates (just touch the screen) or program coordinates as your destination. I set mine up to read elevation constantly. Very user-friendly. The only thing I miss is the weather I had on my Zumo 665.

brentbba

Explorer
From what I've learned...and when I got rid of my very nice Streetpilot 2730 (the one with XM), I tried various GPS units. Found out quickly that the Nuvi's don't play well with topo's. Great on road, but was told loading topos wasn't recommended by Garmin. I have a Montana. Nice for the topo's but not spectacular for on road like the Nuvi. Nuvi mode on the Montana isn't a Nuvi but it's ok. It's a compromise I guess is what I'm saying for one unit to be great at both on and off road.

If I had the funds, I think I'd go for a 7" Nuvi for on road and my aging eyes and an Ipad using something like MotionX for off road. I do have trouble reading anything on my small screen Montana w/o having to put on my reading glasses!

gwittman

Adventurer
Thank for the information. I probably will not download any topo maps but it is good to know they somewhat function on a Nuvi. I don't need all the features on the Nuvi 3597LMHDT but if it has the GPS coordinates and altitude display, the Nuvi 2555LMT probably does too.

AutoRotate

Observer
I'm a GPS nut. I use them in my job as a pilot and have owned Garmin units dating back into the early 90's.

The Garmin Montana 650T is my current all around GPS. I use it to navigate around Dallas, off road, cycle, etc.

Research it.

gwittman

Adventurer
I did look at the Montana. I really am not interested in a hand held unit. I want to be able to mount on the dash with a larger screen and like the traffic feature of the nuvi. I also like being able plug into a power port for power.

I ended up getting a nuvi 2597LMT because is has 8 GB internal memory. The 2555LMT in the USA only has 4 GB internal memory and can eventually have problem when downloading updates. I came very close to getting a nuvi 3597LMT mainly because it has a much longer battery life plus it is more topo friendly but it was a lot more expensive and had way more features than I need.

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
the montana has a really good big screen. how big a nuvi are you looking at? My montana is bigger and way better for adventuring than my nuvi is. Every thing you mentioned that you wanted in the nuvi the montana does. Plugs into its own cradle, which is awesome, have it hardwired so you still keep your power ports for other things, has expandable memory, does traffic routing, plus it also does birdseye sat imagery, is fully waterproof, and has a sun readable screen unlike my nuvi.

Howard70

Adventurer
I'll second the votes for a Montana. It is possible to set up the text size for different types of information so you can read the screen easier. One of the Garmin bases for the Montana has power connection etc., so it functions like a dash mounted unit. You can add considerable memory via the micro SD cards, etc. We typically use a computer with Basecamp and AllTopo Pro (igage) for planning then pass the routes to the Montana for a trip. Montana also has a good routing function that will work with the routable 1:24 Garmin Topo maps (these are the ones that come in sets (West, Southwest, Northwest, Northcentral, etc.) not the topo that includes the whole US. However, whichever set of loaded maps you use make sure and do some route-checking via Google Earth or other sources before you depend on that small "road" shown on the GPS that crosses the White Mountains north of Boundary Peak..... The point being that there are many passable routes that don't show and many impassable routes that do show!

Howard

doug720

Expedition Leader
Have you considered an Ipad for a gps? Once you use one, you're spoiled!

Great map and navigation apps are available and a used Ipad and all the apps you could want are $2-250.00. Get a wi-fi Ipad and download maps and off you go.

Here is a picture of mine in the Sierra, no more little screens and crappy maps for me!

Attachments

• P1090653.JPG
    P1090653.JPG
    157.8 KB · Views: 31

kojackJKU

Have you considered an Ipad for a gps? Once you use one, you're spoiled!

Great map and navigation apps are available and a used Ipad and all the apps you could want are $2-250.00. Get a wi-fi Ipad and download maps and off you go.

Here is a picture of mine in the Sierra, no more little screens and crappy maps for me!

If he was going that route I would go with a samesung Tab 8, with a GPS module. 168 for the tablet at Walmart, and 10 bucks for the GPS module on ebay. All brand new, works awesome and the most expensive app you need is 2.00 bucks. Plus the screen in the new Samsung tablets are amazing. Their preview video in the store is an overlanding video actually. I was doubly impressed!

doug720

Expedition Leader
But, the mapping apps are few and poor for anything other than Ipad. With the Ipad, you can get apps that work great, good mounting systems, cases, and buy an older Ipad with big memory for cheap. Maps take a lot of memory to have the many options available.

Just my 3cents.

kojackJKU

I beg to differ. I am running back country navigator on my acer tablet with awesome results. Works great. I pad and big memory is an oxy moron. There is no such thing. I have 32gb in my tablet for apps and a 128gb micro sd card for storage. With my windows 8 Asus vivotab I have 32 gb on board for apps, and 1tb hard drive for storage. No apple can do that.

For a dedicated gps

Try lowrance best gps unit I have ever owned most accurate way better that my harming street pilot with topo. Built for durability used by baja racers. Very durable. And I love the topo

kojackJKU

Try lowrance best gps unit I have ever owned most accurate way better that my harming street pilot with topo. Built for durability used by baja racers. Very durable. And I love the topo

I had a lowrance big GPS unit in my ranger 4x4. Worked great, then crapped out. It would not power on anymore. I think the model was Global map 3500 or 3000. I cant remember the number right now. But LOVED the big screen and buttons.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier