Why no Camel Trophy/G4 type events for Jeeps?

FastGlass

Adventurer
...or even for any 4x4, expedition based events here in America(s)? Have there been any attempted? Is it just logistics and coordination between states and counties etc? I know there's desert ralleys and such, but I'm talking sustained, more or less self or vehichle supported point A to point B, team based, trail events? Am I just misinformed and haven't heard of any?
A north route (New England) and a south route (think Appalachia) would be amazing....or even all four "corners" of the states....wooded and rocky north one year, mountains and mud another....then sand, heat and distances...finally wet, technical trail riding....and all variations in between! Sea to shining sea, over four years, each year presenting different skill sets, equipment requirements and vehichle setups....
Aaaaah......there it is. I've been bitten by the bug(out:)

drcoopster

Adventurer
Jeep enthusiasts in general (ExPo Jeepers are not really representative) tend toward the rock crawling rather than the long-distance travel.

ihatemybike

Explorer
Jeep doesn't need an event to prove how tough their vehicles are?

Jeep doesn't care to have a bunch of people talk about how awesome their vehicles are for winning an event in which they were the only participants?

swift7777

°.lllllll.°
Yep - first Camel Trophy was Jeep equipped.

Vermont Overland Trophy is a great event featuring all types of vehicles.

TexasTJ

Climbing Nerd
Mark Smith also lead In expedition in jeeps from the tip of Tierra del fuego to Prudhoe Bay, AK crossing the Darien Gap. So jeep has done this stuff. The main down side to Jeep's in any of these types of adventures to this day is their payload.

I even rember a ''marlboro trophy'' (not sure about the name) it took place in Utah and participants had to go on bike ,hiking,rafting etc. And they used Jeep Comanche's.
I saw the fleet parked in Moab , somewhere late 80' early 90 '

onemanarmy

Explorer
Because there isn't enough 'open space' in those areas you mentioned. There are too many people and most of the land is either developed or privately owned.

think jeep jamboree

I think that the jamborees that are put on really focus on the jeeps it seems to me that the camel trophy as cool as it is is really for teams of people to compete with basically the same vehicle so you are competing against he other guys not necessarily the vehicles, and I bet it is pricey to set up a LR for that....... well beyond what most can do $$. Where as the jeep is more run what you brung type of event more family oriented and less competition. hell even hummer had some family outings to drive off road. I went on the rubcion with Mark Smith and it was really fun. very challenging

FastGlass

Adventurer
Jeep doesn't need an event to prove how tough their vehicles are?

Jeep doesn't care to have a bunch of people talk about how awesome their vehicles are for winning an event in which they were the only participants?
Not about that at all to me...I'm just talking about a dedicated event similar to those...and like I mentioned, ANY 4x4 would be fine, but I have a jeep...and remembered those ones as being LR oriented.
The idea of a planned, yearly event to get excited for like that would be AWSOME.
TexasTJ, I remember reading that...three teams of Germans in Jeeps, right?
DaveH...THANK YOU! That's what I'm talking about...and right in my own back yard...sweet!

FastGlass

Adventurer
Because there isn't enough 'open space' in those areas you mentioned. There are too many people and most of the land is either developed or privately owned.

There might not be say...2-600 contiguous "off road" miles available, but linking some class 6 roads and various other trails with small sections of pavement might be possible. You may be right, it's just a bit sad for me to think so...
Bennyhana, I'll have to check that out too...
Truthfully, I watched the "Camel Trophy Years" you tube last week when looking up some install videos....got me REALLY juiced , and started me wondering (which is just a letter off from wandering :)
If anyone's interested: http://youtu.be/UGWp8R-IqoE

Last edited:

shays4me

Willing Wanderer

I can just imagine the greenies lined up with their signs chaining themselves to the Jeeps. Just how do you clean a tree hugger out of a Jeep undercarriage?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94