The latest Wrangler rumour mill article... Body on frame.

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
...slightly related, it looks like the 2015 aluminum F-150 is around 700lbs lighter than a similar steel 2014.

That's significant.

It only costs something like $400-$1000 more.

Fingers crossed the same idea will work on the Wrangler.

-Dan

Jurfie

Adventurer
^^ Yeah; smaller vehicle, but even if it shaves 300-500lbs off a Wrangler, that's more than 10% of the current curb weight. More payload for carrying goodies!

And I won't have to weigh at a truck scale after Easter, Thanksgiving, and Christmas dinners to ensure I am still street legal. ;)

DaveNay

Adventurer
How do they deal with the electrical grounding paths in an aluminum body.

If it's all welded then I don't think there is anything special that has to be done. If the body panels are bonded (glued) then it is probably much more complicated and involves discreet ground returns.

haven

Expedition Leader
The original report came from Automotive News, which posted based on conversation with an anonymous source. It does make sense that the new design will incorporate aluminum in the body, while the frame remains steel. Aqualu in Kelowna BC has been making aluminum bodies for the Wrangler for 20 years. http://www.aqualu.com/jeep-bodies.html

A new body on an existing chassis would allow Jeep to continue making the Wranger in Toledo with the minimum downtime. That's both good and bad, since Wrangler production is already running close to maximum. Switching to another plant would allow production to be ramped up to higher levels, but would take longer to set up.

I still like the idea of moving the two door Wrangler to an aluminum unibody, built at another plant. Keep four door production on the steel frame chassis at Toledo. That would free up enough space on the Toledo line to build a Wrangler pickup.

HAFICON

Adventurer
I wonder how this would affect traditional body work ? How many shops that can work/weld aluminum. Regardless I think it is a good idea.

GetOutThere

Adventurer
The original report came from Automotive News, which posted based on conversation with an anonymous source. It does make sense that the new design will incorporate aluminum in the body, while the frame remains steel. Aqualu in Kelowna BC has been making aluminum bodies for the Wrangler for 20 years. http://www.aqualu.com/jeep-bodies.html

A new body on an existing chassis would allow Jeep to continue making the Wranger in Toledo with the minimum downtime. That's both good and bad, since Wrangler production is already running close to maximum. Switching to another plant would allow production to be ramped up to higher levels, but would take longer to set up.

I still like the idea of moving the two door Wrangler to an aluminum unibody, built at another plant. Keep four door production on the steel frame chassis at Toledo. That would free up enough space on the Toledo line to build a Wrangler pickup.

They are apparently expanding the Ohio plant with a second building/property.

Edit: So sayeth the rumour mill.

Last edited:

forsakenfuture

Explorer
Recently read an article on the manufacturing of the new Range Rover. Seems the body panels are either glued or riveted together. Probably take some getting use to in order to repair or modify.

Rbertalotto

Explorer
Before you buy any aluminum body vehicle you best check with your insurance agency. My understanding is the Ford F1 50 is very expensive to insure. There are very few body shops in America trained with the proper equipment to work on aluminum bodies.

UK4X4

Expedition Leader
mmmm

hammer and steel block,,,,as per normal steel cars
welder- add spool gun to existing welder----as per normal steel cars

No real diference to a body shop

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
How do they deal with the electrical grounding paths in an aluminum body.

I don't think anyone is using the body as a ground path anymore. Sure, it "can" be used, but it seems like everyone is running the ground back via a couple commons.

Even if they did, aluminum is a better conductor than steel (& worse than copper). It's not uncommon to see aluminum bus bars & lugs in lower end switch gear.

haven

Expedition Leader
Rumors from England via Autocar magazine say the new Land Rover Defender will have an aluminum monocoque body, and an aluminum subframe. Maybe this has Jeep engineers losing sleep. LR says the new Defender won't look like the Bronco II-style prototypes that were shown a couple of years ago. The Defender should be out in 2016, so we should start seeing on-the-road testing starting soon.

http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/new-land-rover-defender-launch-2016

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz