land rover new discovery

So I just got this email from land rover. describing their new discovery not the LR4 or LR 3 but the new discovery/ I have always like all off road vehicles even the evoque ( sp) but I am confused about he new ne does it have a low range? or is it like the evoke no low range? so what do all you hard core landrover guys think of it? would it make a good overlanding platform or is it for say skiers and fisherman who sometime need 4whldr for the occasionally difficult road..?

LR Max

Local Oaf
They are making a version with low range. That should be the version to go for.

In reality with simple forest service roads, these kind of vehicles are ideal. You can DD them but then when you get to that one little wash out, you can engage low range and have traction control drag you over.

Land rover has been installing pretty decent drivetrains in their vehicles as of late. Good power, 6 or 8 speed transmissions, rear e-lockers. I think after a few years when the prices drop, we will all be excited to have the newer disco for off road use. Just as we did with the LR3.

Derel1cte

Adventurer
Keep in mind that this new Discover is actually the "Discovery Sport", replacing the Freelander 2/LR2. Next year they will announce the actual new Discovery to replace the Discover 4/LR4.

Derel1cte

Adventurer
They are making a version with low range. That should be the version to go for.

They are not making a Discovery Sport with a low range. Instead, they have a single speed transfer case and are giving the 9-speed trans a granny gear.

"Nine closely stacked gear ratios provide excellent response and allow for a very low first gear, improved mid-range acceleration and a tall ninth gear for reduced engine revs at higher cruising speeds; this reduces fuel consumption, emissions and engine noise."

9 gears

That is an interesting approach I wonder what the final drive ratio is ? I mean is it like a true low range 50:1 or is it like 10:1?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94