videographer n00b has questions about my new Hero 4 Black

KiwiKurt

Explorer
Hey all. Decided to start doing some video recording on some things...mostly fam video, motorcycle riding, and paragliding & skydiving.

I'm a total n00b at this stuff and need some help.

1- I did a test video today with it set to 1080p 30fps + ProTune video and taking stills. Watching the video, it was "jumpy" and not smooth. I've read of some people who are having issues with that bought cheepo SD cards, but I sprung for the Lexar 633x card....recommended by GoPro and purported to have the fastest read/write speeds on the market....??

2- What is a good "turn it on and go" video setting for what I want to do? Basically, whats a good video setting that can give me some decent video footage while i school up and learn about the various functionalities of the unit/videography?

3- Can you provide me with some good reading resources/forum sticky threads/etc/etc/etc that can help me understand what all the different settings do, what the tangible difference is between 1080p 20fps and 1080p 120fps and 1440 and 4k etc? :coffee:

Thanks!!:snorkel::snorkel:

Heloflyboy

Adventurer
I do not have the hero 4 yet, but on the hero2&3 I use 960. I use it when snowboarding,motorcycling and under the wing of my plane. The quality is great and it does not use as much memory as 1080. Give it a try. Hopefully the battery life has gotten better, that is my biggest complaint about the camera.

KiwiKurt

Explorer
I have to say I am extremely disappointed with the Hero4 so far. All of the video I took from death valley is choppy, almost as if it was collecting photos in rapid sequence instead of just shooting video. It does it in all video modes i have tried so far. I have also tried turning off wifi remote and doing it with just video instead of video and photos and no luck. Just a bunch of chopped together frames.

My macbook pro is a few years old, but I watch other video's in HD, so not sure why it wouldn't be able to process HD video from this. The gopro site said to turn video recording down to 720p, which is still playing back choppy.

Last edited:

KiwiKurt

Explorer
well....uploaded to youtube they play smoothly at 720p....so i guess the computer doesn't have the oomph to play them.

They do play choppy on youtube at 1440...so i guess that's my answer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles