Unexpectedly got a gem top for my Taco...few quick questions

adrstout

Adventurer
Unexpected update for my Taco:

I bought a gem top topper yesterday! I went to look at it yesterday but I won't pick it up until this weekend. It is heavier grade than I was expecting. I was expecting a cheaper aluminum topper when I saw it on CL but this thing is substantial and has a reinforced roof-I think it's steel actually. Also, windows on 3 sides so that's good for access. I bought it from an older gentlemen who offered to help me lift it onto the truck but then said he had back and knee problems. I declined his offer and said I would come back.

Originally came off a 5 lug:
00B0B_lJwy8symIxC_600x450_zpsa9201d90.jpg

I'm a little frustrated since I bought my tonneau less than a month ago so that was a waste lol. However, that was only because I couldn't find any affordable toppers in my area. And...then one came up. I paid $80 for this topper! I knew I would eventually get one I just figured it would be a year or two. If anyone wants a roll up tonneau for a 05+ Taco in southern Indiana, I'm willing to give a great deal!

Anyways, I'm excited and have wasted a fair amount of time at work today looking at various threads surrounding camper tops. I have found quite a few threads on this site and some options for my likely issues (see below). But, hey, I thought I'd throw some things out there and see if any of you fine folks had good suggestions.

Downsides/Projects/Questions

Keys: The 3 doors have locks on them but the guy didn't have a key. What would be the best way to get one? Locksmith? Call gem top? Maybe there is something that will suffice as a "key"???

I may need to get a pop n lock to have any level of security-if the top locks but the tailgate opens the topper locks are useless. Not totally sure yet. I'm not overly concerned with security but would like to stop the easy snatch and grab.

Paint: The paint was in good shape with a few minor scratches-not worries about those, though. My truck is dark green with all chrome removed or painted black. I think the topper will look better in black with my truck. Plus, the white looks pretty commercial.

Probably rock it white for a while, though until I get around to this project. Currently training for 2 ultramarathons so that is eating up all my time. Then, it will be winter which makes projects more difficult for me w/o a garage.

Water sealing: I don't even know if this is a concern or not. Read a few threads on here about sealing them up. If you have good suggestions, I'm all ears in case I need it.

Platform: The topper has a nice heavy ledge about 6" wide that sides on the bed sides so I may be able to simply put a platform there. That would be ideal if it is strong enough. Idk, I'll have to consider once I get the thing on my truck.

If anyone has some great advice they'd like to share...PLEASE DO! Otherwise, I'll keep checking out threads.

4x4x4doors

Explorer
On keys, there should be a number on the handle locks. Check to see if they are all the same and then you can buy a key off the internet (ebay or http://lostakey.net/ for example).

Plan on putting some type of gasket (foam tape or butyl available at HDepot or Lowes) between the bed rail and the topper for sealing. Before you clamp (or bolt) it down, check the fit at the tailgate.

Nice score.

TripLeader

Explorer
My Key Replacement Experience

I bought a used Jason brand topper for my truck a couple of years ago from Craigslist. It did not come with a key. (I have a locking tailgate.)
_
I called the local locksmith I use. The number on the locks was not in their system. They said the could make keys if I brought the topper there. They said they would charge about $45 for that service.
_
Luckily I checked and found there was a Jason dealer in town. They were able to order the right keys for me from the number on the locks. It was like $20 or $25 bucks. They could have also ordered complete new locks for me (with keys) for around $40.

adrstout

Adventurer
Nice...thanks guys! I'll get some foam tape tonight or tomorrow to be ready before I put it on (probably Sunday). I'll get around to the key stuff a bit later but that is really helpful info.

adrstout

Adventurer
Hey, I got it on about a week ago and bedlined it this weekend. Looks pretty good. Not as slick as some of the fiberglass ones but I kind of like it. It is unique lol. I will probably dress up the inside of the cab with some paint eventually but that is far from a priority right now. This weekend will be all about building a dog platform for the access cab but then I will get on a storage box/sleeping platform system for the bed.

Here's pics (not good ones, though!:

photo2_zps631fa834.jpg

photo3_zpsa345f580.jpg

I like the sticker showing its commercial roots lol
photo1_zps9fc2aa32.jpg

adrstout

Adventurer
I think I've got it pretty darn watertight right now but I'm waiting for a good rain to test. Maybe later today?!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles