TRD PRO Tundra Test Drive Review

AxleIke

Adventurer
It sounds like we all have different ideas of what "good" is, and perhaps that's why there is a difference in choice. Which is to be expected.

Personally, I am looking for a suspension, which, if everything else is left alone, would be AWFUL in corners. I want a very soft, very cushy ride both on and offroad, and hence why I want a progressive shock. This would then be offset with massive sway bars that can be disconnected during offroad use, ideally electronically, but manually is okay too.

It sounds like others like the very flat, very controlled feel that you get from the ICON's, and I agree, it does give the truck a much "crisper" feel. But it was too stiff for my liking. Bumps were very noticeable. For me, ideally, the truck would ride very soft, and bumps would be there, but in the background.

Anyway, just difference of opinion I guess.

sandcrawler

Observer
It sounds like we all have different ideas of what "good" is, and perhaps that's why there is a difference in choice. Which is to be expected.

Personally, I am looking for a suspension, which, if everything else is left alone, would be AWFUL in corners. I want a very soft, very cushy ride both on and offroad, and hence why I want a progressive shock. This would then be offset with massive sway bars that can be disconnected during offroad use, ideally electronically, but manually is okay too.

It sounds like others like the very flat, very controlled feel that you get from the ICON's, and I agree, it does give the truck a much "crisper" feel. But it was too stiff for my liking. Bumps were very noticeable. For me, ideally, the truck would ride very soft, and bumps would be there, but in the background.

Anyway, just difference of opinion I guess.
it's all subjective. and any aftermarket kit is better than stock, really, so no argument there! :^)

CYK

Adventurer
if the OEM Tokico shocks on the KDSS-equipped 4Runners are progressive valved, it's news to me. whatever the case, i have ICON 2.5 extended travel coil overs and 2.5 remote reservoir rears on my KDSS Trail and they feel WAY WAY BETTER than the stock setup. way less harsh and jarring; body far better isolated from suspension hits. on top of that, i thought KDSS on-road was great before installing the ICONs but i'm blown away by how flat and controlled this thing rounds corners now. it's incredible, really.

Yup. I have icons on mine and they're awesome. Supple. Controlled. Rides like a big body BMW sedan.

Axle sounds confused.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1414713374.398413.jpg

AxleIke

Adventurer
LOL. Could be confused. Its happened before!

I have ridden in a couple buggies that rode up trails like the rocks weren't even there. Like a sponge, I suppose. You could rock the truck over easily by hand. VERY soft. I would love to have that. Like I said, different strokes for different folks.

Though, I drove a 3rd gen with Icons and they weren't brand new. It sounds like the 5th gen Icons are much different.

The Icons were slightly softer than my Bilstein lift, but still rougher than I'd like. For the cost, I couldn't justfiy the upgrade for a ride I thought could be improved.

AxleIke

Adventurer
I should add, I apologize if I ruffled any feathers. I'm not Bashing ICON, I run their upper control arms (the cheapo ones, not the ones CYK has), I simply didn't care for the ride of their shocks. Obviously, I am in the minority.

It sounds like should the OP decide to change the suspension on his Tundra, he would be well served with the ICON's, as many other people are.

amo292, sorry for the derailment. It sounds like you have some good options to explore.

sandcrawler

Observer
I should add, I apologize if I ruffled any feathers. I'm not Bashing ICON, I run their upper control arms (the cheapo ones, not the ones CYK has), I simply didn't care for the ride of their shocks. Obviously, I am in the minority.
no ruffled feathers here. i run the ICON tubular UCAs as well—nothing "cheapo" about 'em! :^)

FJR Colorado

Explorer
For what it may be worth... The Toytec BOSS kit on my Tundra seems to have that plush ride that the OP is fond of. Especially after I lowered it in front (from about 2.5" originally to more like 1.5" now). Very smooth in my opinion.

amo292

Adventurer
Thanks for all the Input. I understand everyone has their own preferences. I like all the systems listed but some seem to be way out of my budget.

FJR Colorado can you tell me a little more about the Toytec BOSS system? What options did you get? That is something in my range. Im also just trying to get a a couple inches max but want a better ride from the stock TRD.

And what is the deal with OME systems? Do they result in stiffer rides?

FJR Colorado

Explorer
Thanks for all the Input. I understand everyone has their own preferences. I like all the systems listed but some seem to be way out of my budget.

FJR Colorado can you tell me a little more about the Toytec BOSS system? What options did you get? That is something in my range. Im also just trying to get a a couple inches max but want a better ride from the stock TRD.

And what is the deal with OME systems? Do they result in stiffer rides?

You bet. More info can be found in my build thread:
http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/127252-2006-1st-Gen-Tundra-Doublecab-Build

I do highly recommend the BOSS kit but you can definitely learn some of the pitfalls I encountered and what the remedy was.

I think OME is a good option as well. Perhaps a bit stiffer.

What part of NH are you located? I lived in Merrimack for a couple of years. NH is a great state.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94