TRD PRO Tundra Test Drive Review

amo292

Adventurer
Hi there folks!

With all the hype about the new TRD PRO line I thought I would give my impression on the Tundra after a walk around and test drive today. Long story short I headed to the dealership today to have the front differential checked out again in my 2008 Tundra DBL Cab 5.7 4x4. While waiting I had to check out that gorgeous burnt orange beast sitting out front of the showroom. I had no intention of trading in my truck or buying a new but you never know, It was the first in New England……While poking and crawling around I was greeted by a great sales woman and was forced into a test drive :wings:. We jumped in the truck with only eight miles on it and we were off. The drive consisted of some highway, some rural roads, and some construction zone.

Be aware, I am not a professional driver or a car expert. I am a vehicle enthusiast and have extensive knowledge about second generation Tundra's. I respect your opinion so I hope you will respect mine.

My thoughts:

Walk Around- This is one Bad*ss looking truck. The burnt orange color paired with blacked out badges, trim, and wheels really looks good. We also can forget about the retro TOYOTA grille. Although it is different it seems to fit the truck well and adds a nice touch. The truck seems really well put together styling wise and nothing really seems out of place aside from the god awful antenna. The body gaps also seemed nice and tight all the way around. The wheels are a great looking design and fit the truck well. After drooling on the paint I crawled underneath to check things out. Almost everything matches the 2007-2015 Tundras and there is nothing super special. Not much has changed in the years. The differences included a TRD True Dual Exhaust, front aluminum skid plate, and some fancy looking shocks/coil overs. I noted that all of these accessories could be had easily for less than $5k. Jumping into the cab I noticed a very well put together interior. The orange stitching and accents with the black fabric and carpet really bring the great looking exterior in. The updated interior for the new model year seems to be much better quality than the 2007-2013 model years. One thing I did notice was the loss of storage space. It seems they gave some up for the better quality and styling.

Drive- With the mixed driving conditions I feel I got a good sense of the handling. I did not get off road (they frown upon that on test drives) but did get to hit some nasty road in the construction zone. The acceleration was very smooth and seemed to mimic my 2008 Tundra. The major difference I noticed was how soft and smooth ride was. Whatever suspension components they used were spot on. Having driven the same loop in my Tundra first, I noticed the differences immediately. I can only describe the ride as glorious in all conditions I experienced. Be aware that may change when really off road. Over all I was very happy with the truck, but it didn't seem to be much different from whats already out there.

Complaints- So there was a few things I noticed in my venture that I was not a fan of. One thing that came with the plush suspension was a good amount of body roll. Going around the rotary it was very noticeable compared to my Tundra. Definitely not a fan of it but its a trade off for a smooth ride I guess. The next thing I noticed that really irked me was the amount of shake in the bed when going over the bumps. The only way to describe it is with a video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=db2IaA9yn4o Now I know this is an excessive example of it but the bed did not seem secure or well built at all. My 08 has some shake but nothing like this truck, it was very noticeable when just glancing in the mirrors.

Verdict- After a great experience I did not end up purchasing. For $46k WITHOUT SEAT HEATERS (a must for me) it was extremely over priced for nothing really that special. If you are more interested in styling and cool factor then the practicality then this is the truck for you. I think that for the same price you can build a comparable truck and then paint it what you like! Over all good rig just not worth the hype unfortunately.

Hope this was a good read and helps someone!
Screen Shot 2014-10-24 at 5.53.53 PM.jpgIMG_0074.jpg

bigwapitijohnny

Adventurer
Amo292,

Thanks for your review. There is something to be said about driving a vehicle that is built and not bought. My 2011 Tundra was a grade package with some extras from the factory. I did not want to pay for an extra package only to replace it sooner than later. The TRD pro package is nice, but my conclusions are the same as yours.

Thanks again.

Regards,

BWJ

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
My brother just bought a TRD Pro 4-runner. He has owned 3 4-runners all new in the past 5 years. He did comment how unbelievably smooth the ride was on bumpy roads.

amo292

Adventurer
So the Tundra is still sitting on the lot and I keep getting calls from the dealership with offers. Still think its to much, but I thought it would sell faster!

I can't stop thinking about that dreamy plush suspension. What manufacturer would I go to for that on my 08? Think they will start selling the components from the Pros to guys like me?

AxleIke

Adventurer
So the Tundra is still sitting on the lot and I keep getting calls from the dealership with offers. Still think its to much, but I thought it would sell faster!

I can't stop thinking about that dreamy plush suspension. What manufacturer would I go to for that on my 08? Think they will start selling the components from the Pros to guys like me?

Call Fox or King. Should be able to get a full suspension package and have it professionally tuned, though you'd have to take the truck to them. Not sure on Price, but I'd bet 5k would be in the ball park. Maybe more. Bilstein too, but personally can't stand their stuff. Lots of other folks like them though, but I don't know how much tuning they do. Either way, probably get an even better ride than the Pro.

Dragos28

Adventurer

I'm running Fox 2.5 coilovers with adjustable compression on the external reservoir, so i can change the compression for soft on road mannerism or stiff for high speed off road. This is coupled with total chaos UCA's and in the rear I'm running fox 2.0 shocks with reservoirs, alcan progressive leafs and coach builder shackles.
I've removed both the sway bars so the truck has a slight amount of body roll, but not much as the Coilovers have 700lb springs, but this really allows the suspension to do what is intended.

It's a much smoother ride compared to stock, but certainly not a caddilac like ride.

http://www.ridefox.com/product.php?make=Toyota&model=Tundra&t=shocks&year=2014-2007&position=Front&m=truck&p=31&ref=filter

character zero

dangerfoot

You want a progressive suspension setup (this means that the compression damping of the shocks is valved so that you can use the first inch of travel easier than each subsequent inch). This will provide a "plush" ride off the top that firms up with subsequent hits. This also means you'll have a bit of body roll. IIRC, KING are progressive from the factory. Not sure about FOX. ICON are NOT -they're valved to be digressive, which is great for high-speed chunky runs, but is often considered harsh for DD...but it does greatly address body roll in turns, as they're valved to not absorb until a significant event.

Any shock body can be tuned or re-tuned by someone that has the know-how, but I'd suggest calling Fox & King off the bat and tell them what you are looking for.

FWIW, the Land Cruisers/T4Runner that have the "best" suspension is KDSS, where they use progressive shocks with a system that hydraulically controls body roll in corners. I had a 4Runner with KDSS and loved it, and I'll say that my Kings don't feel awefully removed from that feeling.

character zero

dangerfoot
Oh, and Dragos has a great point - the adjustable compression feature on those Fox is nice and would allow you to get the feel you want (within some range).

sandcrawler

Observer

Toyota of Portsmouth? i drove by there recently and saw that TRD Pro Tundra from the road.

in my experience, Toyota of Portsmouth doesn't move the kind of inventory volume necessary to make a great deal; they try to make more markup per sale.

the TRD Pro suspension is digressive, fwiw.

amo292

Adventurer
Wow, thanks for the information guys. I am defiantly going to look into all of those options.

Yes it was Toyota of Portsmouth. They actually have a second one out front now too. I would really like to see the 4runner and tacoma pro to but it seems they are not on the list for those.

I can see how that would hinder their deal making ability. I also think that they are in no rush to sell these trucks because they are fresh off the factory. I do keep receiving calls with updates and offers but that is just a good sales person doing their job.

sandcrawler

Observer
just wanted to add that you can, in fact, buy the TRD Pro parts a' la carte. so you could buy that suspension if you really wanted to. but i think you'll get a much better value if you go with an aftermarket suspension that's been tuned for the Tundra (e.g., Fox, ICON, King, OME).

CYK

Adventurer
You want a progressive suspension setup (this means that the compression damping of the shocks is valved so that you can use the first inch of travel easier than each subsequent inch). This will provide a "plush" ride off the top that firms up with subsequent hits. This also means you'll have a bit of body roll. IIRC, KING are progressive from the factory. Not sure about FOX. ICON are NOT -they're valved to be digressive, which is great for high-speed chunky runs, but is often considered harsh for DD...but it does greatly address body roll in turns, as they're valved to not absorb until a significant event.

Any shock body can be tuned or re-tuned by someone that has the know-how, but I'd suggest calling Fox & King off the bat and tell them what you are looking for.

FWIW, the Land Cruisers/T4Runner that have the "best" suspension is KDSS, where they use progressive shocks with a system that hydraulically controls body roll in corners. I had a 4Runner with KDSS and loved it, and I'll say that my Kings don't feel awefully removed from that feeling.

Icons harsh for dd? Have you actually driven a Toyota with icons on them?

sandcrawler

Observer
Icons harsh for dd? Have you actually driven a Toyota with icons on them?
if the OEM Tokico shocks on the KDSS-equipped 4Runners are progressive valved, it's news to me. whatever the case, i have ICON 2.5 extended travel coil overs and 2.5 remote reservoir rears on my KDSS Trail and they feel WAY WAY BETTER than the stock setup. way less harsh and jarring; body far better isolated from suspension hits. on top of that, i thought KDSS on-road was great before installing the ICONs but i'm blown away by how flat and controlled this thing rounds corners now. it's incredible, really.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94