Porta-potty users, sound off

GR8ADV

Explorer
I currently use the Thetford 135. It fits well between the front seats and I made a short wooden "box" for it. When in motion the box sits on top and turns it into a center console and gives me a way to strap everything down. When camping, the box goes underneath as a riser to make things more comfortable on the knees.

7iGgXDRl.jpg

I have zero complaints about using or "servicing" the toilet. Emptying it at home or on the road is fast and simple. Having the toilet makes the difference between happy ladies and unhappy ones, and that's the difference between enjoying the trip, and not. It is also quite the luxury on those cold nights when I had one too many beers by the fire and don't want to have to dress and put on shoes at 2am...

My only current issue is that we're now a family of three, and the relatively small 2gallons of black storage are just barely enough for a long weekend of one dude and two ladies (where the ladies do all business in the toilet). I am considering upgrading to one of the Thetford units with a larger tank, but the fit betwixt the seats is much tighter.

This is an excellent, simple and practical solution. I use a Thetford in my vehicle as well.
I have been an engineer in the public water and wastewater sector for nearly 30 years. I will keep this, my last post on the topic, quite simple. Feces in the garbage is a bad idea on several fronts.

350outrage

Adventurer
This is an excellent, simple and practical solution. I use a Thetford in my vehicle as well.
I have been an engineer in the public water and wastewater sector for nearly 30 years. I will keep this, my last post on the topic, quite simple. Feces in the garbage is a bad idea on several fronts.

Well, great! I respect your opinion! Let me know when you've got all your grandkids into cloth nappies!

teotwaki

Excelsior!
Pett System. For my trips the Wagbags are fine and can be used more than once. I store the ful ziplocked bags in a 5 gal bucket with a lid to contain any odor that escapes. I buy the bags in bulk.

If I am in an area where human waste can be buried then a shovel is all I need.

Mwilliamshs

Explorer
My niece and nephew use cloth diapers unless going to preschool or church (where other folks do the changing). Everyone in our area did 30 years ago and with the recent shifts toward organic foods, alternative energy and homesteading I think cloth diapers are becoming more mainstream.

Now back to portable toilet reviews: do you use chemicals? Which? Opinions?

350outrage

Adventurer
My niece and nephew use cloth diapers unless going to preschool or church (where other folks do the changing). Everyone in our area did 30 years ago and with the recent shifts toward organic foods, alternative energy and homesteading I think cloth diapers are becoming more mainstream.

Well good for you guys! The statistics show that cloth diapers did make a minor comeback some years ago, after enviromental concerns were expressed, but that trend died. Less than 10 % use them now. (Sorry, cant remember where I read this when researching). But the important part is that you guys are indeed "walking the walk". Hey, I'm not saying you have to throw the bag from your dry kitty litter toilet in a dumpster; dispose of it however meets your ethical requirements. My main point with the double bag and kittylitter system was that its a lot Lighter, does not involve crapping in what was previously fresh water, and is a lot easier to control the semi dried ( and relatively odorless) waste than it is from a liquid system.

I'm not knocking Thetford, I have had one on my boat for 16 years. But I really hate trudging off the boat with a full (25 lb?) sloshing potty and then the stomach turning chore of emptying it. Also, one winter, when I didn't get it winterized , it froze and broke during the off season. One dose of cleaning that blue water out of everything will make you wonder WHY? Also, the Thetford Blue solution used to contain Formaldehyde. Don't know if it still does, but this is worse for sewer systems than regular crap. BUT, I still use Thetford Blue on the Deck Boat. The dry system in the van is just SO much simpler, and cheaper. BTW, this same kittylitter/bag system is recommended in the Trailspace website referenced in post 16 by mhiscox above. I think our only sticking point has been "how to dispose of the bag?" But you can work that out for yourself. Cheers!

Last edited:

JIMBO

Expedition Leader
:sombrero: Just like Sienfield-a lot to do about nothing !

Heh Heh, a countrywide "ThinkTank" on how to handle a bunch a crap --

:smiley_drive::smiley_drive: JIMBO

teotwaki

Excelsior!
:sombrero: Just like Sienfield-a lot to do about nothing !

Heh Heh, a countrywide "ThinkTank" on how to handle a bunch a crap --

:smiley_drive::smiley_drive: JIMBO

methinks it should be called a "Stink Tank" :snorkel:

free radical

I pour bit of Javex bleach into the Portapotty and it kills everything in there,no smells..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke