2014 Tundra Crew Max Build

Tacovendor

Explorer
Almost time

View attachment 257940Well starting on the 8th of December with trip to Wolf bed liners, then its over to Demello OffRoad to install the Icon suspension, Firestone air bags w/ Daystar cradles and a modification (body mount chop) to accommodate the 35" Nitto Grapplers. My wheel choice is Method Double standards. It's going to be an early Christmas this year.:sombrero:

Tacovendor

Explorer
Well, tires are ordered BFG KO2's in 35 12.50 18 's next weeks transformation is starting to come together. Camper update soon.

Tacovendor

Explorer
So with my order and specs done, 4WC has put my camper into the production schedule. As I stated in my previous post, a build sheet called a "traveler" is created. As production is started, the various parts of the camper are assembled in the different departments and as it travels from one end of the assembly line to completion, the parts are built by my specs on the "traveler". The frame pieces are pre cut to each campers specs and from what I saw first hand are built with the quality and strength as a number one priority.

This year 4WC has made some great improvements one being the New Skid Guard Camper Base: Four Wheel Campers has used Douglas Fir or Birch plywood on the bottom floor of the campers for over forty years. They have now upgraded to a modern thermally fused polyester surface on the upscale Douglas Fir plywood. This new material is called Skid Guard and it's manufactured for decking on marina boat docks. They switched over because the new material is more durable, moisture resistant, and manufactured in Washington state (where they really know about moisture!). They have performed soap tests on the Skid Guard material and its abilities to resist moisture deterioration is very strong, which is excellent for the longevity of the product. Skid Guard also improves the abrasion resistance for a camper when mounted on a truck. Which in my case might be one the truck for some time.

The cabinetry has also been improved and this is what 4WC has on their website:
"New Painted Wood Cabinetry: For decades, Four Wheel has used a vinyl facing on plywood cabinetry. The new painted cabinetry uses an ultraviolet (UV) cured multi-coat finish that includes a clear coat which is then applied to an American Douglas Fir plywood. The end result is a cabinet that looks the same, but has a much more durable finish. In the past we've used Mahogany plywood luan. Environmentally, this was not good because of poor forest practices in other parts of the world. We now use a domestic Douglas Fir that exceeds the performance of the imports, and is more environmentally responsible. We also pay attention to resourcing domestically, and want to use American made products as much as possible." Got to love that 4WC strives to keep it "Made in America".

They have upgraded the camper electrical system with more of a marine grade quality product that is manufactured by Blue Sea Systems.

New one piece, no screw, no seam roof on all of the Four Wheel Campers

New radius rear camper door with rain gutter, adds strength and durability.

brianjwilson

Some sort of lost...
Your attention to detail is outstanding. Question: Why do they use wood at all on the base?

I really would like to see the bottom aluminum framed and covered too. Seems everyone ends up with rotten floors after so many years. Or ripped out tie down points with the stapled wood. I'd rather a framed and insulated base.

Tacovendor

Explorer
Spoke with Tom today, and he told me that they are researching the bottom. The problem is if framed the metal transfers cold and also changes the flexibility of the frame. That are looking at different types of product in their never ending quest of perfection. On a note people who leave these campers mounted all the time, must make a point to be sure your truck bed has drainage.

Tacovendor

Explorer
Bushwacker flares installed
328c9efd341607a85738e01f7cfffebc.jpg

Tacovendor

Explorer
Made the trip up to Riverside yesterday, had my bed sprayed by Wolf liners, $400. and is just as good as all the other companies. Then I went to Icon vehicle Dynamics and picked up the suspension. The truck is now at Demello Offroad and we should have pictures of the "new" ride tomorrow. Again if you live in So Cal I highly recommend Wolf liners, Sal the owner is a great guy and will do custom work, boxes and drawers etc.
http://www.wolfbedlinersinc.com/Spray-On-Bedliners-Riverside-CA.html

Last edited:

Tacovendor

Explorer
Icon Vehicle Dynamics CDC Piggyback shocks in the rear with the Firestone airbags and Daystar cradles, the front got IVD remote reservoir CDC coilovers and billet aluminum upper control arms. Rides so much better than the stock Bilsteins.
e5ba3d4be4b76670b411cbb57794e8c3.jpg
0bebb38ef38a6b50e4fbd5411cc5d4ab.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94