Central tire inflation? For the Woofwagon?

Woofwagon

Adventurer
Got a random thought here this afternoon. How hard would it be to install a central inflation system on say a '89 Suburban? I have the mount installed for a 12VDC air compressor. The rear bumper doubles as an air tank. However, I'm not sure what fittings would be involved in plumbing a system.

Thoughts? Experiences?

MikeBoyle

Observer
With your factory axles, CTIS is going to be either a complete 1 off custom design or you could use one of the systems designed to retrofit big rigs and uses external hoses (do a Google search for Central Tire Inflation). If you have lots of cash burning a hole in your pocket, you could have someone retrofit your axles with portal gear boxes that already have the CTIS and then its just a matter of sourcing the correct wheels and plumbing the system. IMHO it will neither option will be worth your time and money. A CO2 tank and or on board air would be money better invested.

Woofwagon

Adventurer
Yeah, I've been coming to a similar conclusion. Sounds like too much work for so little benefit over just use a compressor with a hose.

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
Yeah, I've been coming to a similar conclusion. Sounds like too much work for so little benefit over just use a compressor with a hose.

It could be worthwhile to run air lines to a couple of places in the truck (front and rear bumper, for example) and permanently mount the compressor somewhere.

Woofwagon

Adventurer
I have the mount all ready to go in the stock location for the spare tire. It's just a short run from the compressor mount to the fitting on the rear bumper. I just thought about going one better and using a central system.

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
CTIS is a big spend. Plumbing in the compressor with hoses etc will be a big benefit and cost a heckuva lot less.

Colorado_Outback

Adventurer
Have you seen the external hose setups that allow you to deflate/fill all 4 at once?
Not as cool as what you were proposing but something to think about.

The brand is escaping me at the moment.. I'm sure someone reading this knows what I'm talking about.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne