Optima batteries.

krick3tt

Adventurer
I've had Optimas in my Pinzgauer for years. Did have an issue with some I bought once off a pallet at a used car place, thought to same some money. They lasted 3 years. My system is 24V and if I let it sit for long periods the gas in the carb bowls evaporates and the fuel pump needs to run awhile to replace the fuel level. the batteries do a fine job of cranking the engine till it catches.

RubiconGeoff

Adventurer
I've had Optimas in my Pinzgauer for years. Did have an issue with some I bought once off a pallet at a used car place, thought to same some money. They lasted 3 years. My system is 24V and if I let it sit for long periods the gas in the carb bowls evaporates and the fuel pump needs to run awhile to replace the fuel level. the batteries do a fine job of cranking the engine till it catches.

The Optimas in my Pinzgauer were junk after 2 years they wouldn't hold a charge but they both supposedly "tested fine." I replaced them with a pair of Deka Intimidator AGM batteries and never again had a problem.

Clutch

<---Pass
I have run Optima's for 13-14 years (3 total in that time span)...my last Optima only lasted 4 years. which was a prorated replacement for one that was leaking, yes they aren't supposed to leak...I somehow managed to make one leak.

Decided to try something else.

Bought an Interstate MT7, manufactured by Johnson Controls... "supposedly" a 10 year battery...we will see...

GetScaledImage.ashx

Last edited:

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
I used the big Interstates in many of my commercial large-scale life-safety systems and never had one go prematurely.

Sean H

I had average Optima performance until I got the optima charger. They been stellar since then. Often recovers a seemingly dead battery my other chargers couldn't.

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
The interstates are good also hey? I may go that route then. The local cdn tire seems to not want to get any of the good batteries in. I think I am going the interstate route then as my local mechanic sells them in his shop.

MT6bt

Rock hound
I've got nothing but good things to say about my yellow tops. I have two in my dodge, one from my 4runner (RIP) dated 2007. I've subjected that battery from -40 - 120+ degrees, ran it dead more times than I can count, not to mention all the multiple cold start turn overs in my 12 valve (very tempermental in temps below 15!)

WagoneerSX4

Adventurer
The interstates are good also hey? I may go that route then. The local cdn tire seems to not want to get any of the good batteries in. I think I am going the interstate route then as my local mechanic sells them in his shop.
You do realize that the Motomaster Eliminator Ultra AGM is just a rebranded Exide Edge or Interstate AGM right? They're all manufactured by Johnson Controls. I'm currently using a group 34 eliminator Ultra in my SX4 and it's been amazing. It has the exact same housing as the interstate and Ecide, it just has a blue top with a black case instead.

I used an optima yellowtop in my Volvo 855R. Thing only lasted me two winters before it froze and couldn't hold a charge. Wasn't very impressed with the performance before it died either. It seemed to randomly discharge itself (zero draw on the cars electrical system - I made sure to check that). Never bought an optima again. And it wasn't a special case, my brother's optima did the exact same thing. His froze in a very short time and completely discharged itself and couldn't be brought back. Two different 'smart' AGM chargers couldn't bring it back.

RubiconGeoff

Adventurer
I spent Thanksgiving weekend at my cabin and I went to start my diesel Kubota tractor and found (surprise, surprise!) that its 3-year-old Optima redtop battery was dead. It has always been stored on a float charger, the tractor infrequently used. I grabbed the old OEM battery from my 2010 JK which had been stored in our basement for 6 months NOT on a float charger after having powered my Jeep for 4 years, installed it in place of the Optima, and the tractor fired on the 2nd revolution.

I'm so done with Optima's batteries.

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
What is the latest? Did Johnson Controls move production of their Optima batteries recently?
JCI has owned Optima since 2000 and started the Mexico facility's build in 2007. I don't think they're planning on leaving it soon...

oldnslow

Observer
I had a red top in my 99 Jeep Wrangler that lasted just over 8 years. I replaced it with another red top and it failed last week after only 2 years. O'Reilly's replaced it no charge, but if this one fails that soon I'll replace it with something else.

02TahoeMD

Explorer
I lived the Optima horror stories. Made the change to the Sears DieHard Platinum batteries almost three years ago now. All my problems went away. Living happily ever after.

Here! Here! I am in the exact same boat though only I am 2 years into my DieHard Platinums. Very happy with them as opposed to the problematic Optima.

sigo

I've got two red-tops in my Deuce and half as the 24v starting batteries. They've been starting the deuce for over two years. I ran them down when trying to start the truck during a cold KS winter, but once charged they've been going strong since. I also have two blue tops on the 12v accessory side (24v and 12v alternators) to run a fridge and all my auxiliary lights. I've had one for about two years and the other since October. No issues so far!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles