camping from a kayak

garwhal

Observer
I have kayaked in many places in the US. The kayak should match the river or ocean and gear should be minimal and light. Water proof duffels are a must and comfortable clothes. Personally water gear is something that is worth the few extra dollars to purchase higher quality.

TravelsWithRalph

Adventurer
I've done a few trips of 3 or more days. My list is pretty long but mostly everything is what you would take backpacking. If you want it to stay dry, use dry bags. You may have to pack the tent and stakes separately to get them through the kayak hatch. I double bag my sleeping bag (big agnes synthetic 30degrees). A big agnes air mattress. For a pillow I put clothes in a dry sack. I sleep in silk long johns to keep the bag clean. I carry a water filter and UV water purifying pen. I've drank from the Connecticut River (north of Mass) and did just fine using the filter and UV. The stove is a small backpack type but I bring two fuel cans just incase I damage one. The cook pot is GSI Dualist with a long titanium spark. The callable ones that come with the Dualist kit are tough to stir your food with. Several black trash bags also come in handy. I use one for trash and others to keep dew off my boots and clothes. I like having hiking shoes when making camp: but water shoes when in the water. I never go barefoot - too many hazards to get cut on. Think of it as a backpack trip but you don't have to carry the stuff. Keep heavy stuff near the middle and try to balance the load.

east_tn_81

Adventurer
Thanks for the quick responses. I am worried about space and weight. The trip will be a three night event. I have recently picked up some dry bags. I have also added some additional cordage to the top of my kayak. Do any of you take an extra paddle?

mcskibadee1

Adventurer
Pretty much what rechaps158 said. I did a 3 day trip at Union Lake and we camped on the mainland one night and then on a small island on the lake the other two nights. I just dry bagged anything I didn't want to get wet and packed everything as evenly as possible. I do bike tours more than backpacking so we pretty much packed the same except that we brought more food and drinks. If we were camping in rougher waters we would have to cut down on things for sure. Paddling with two full coolers is not the greatest or easiest.

We brought two coolers because Beer. If it weren't for the beer we would have saved like 40 pounds.
9504473540_854df973ef_c.jpg

9501670191_c0c3228114_c.jpg

Looking at these pics makes me want to head back out there!
9504424152_0e644b0a0f_c.jpg

east_tn_81

Adventurer
Those are nice pics. I was thinking about packing some MRE's or some freeze dried meals. Do you all pack maps of the local water ways?

TravelsWithRalph

Adventurer
Love the pic mcskibadee1. My son did a 21 day trip on the CT river in 2014. I joined them for 5 days and when comparing our load outs, mine was twice of their's combined. My Kayak is a 14' Eddyline with two dry hatches so coolers are not an option. As far as paddle gear, yes, I had an extra paddle, a car wash sponge for mopping up a wet cockpit and a bailing hand pump. I used a spray skirt for when it rained and rough areas. During the hot calm sections, I took it off for comfort. My ankles/heals get a bit sore after a few hours of being not he kayak floor so I use one of those foam stadium seat cushions for my feet to sit on. Ahh, such comfort. My son used his Eno hammock with rain fly (no netting) a super cheap walmart sleeping bag instead of a tent. That worked well on the CT River with so many trees to attach to: just watch for dead limbs overhead - one fell in the night and missed him by a couple of feet. I took a backpacking chair for use in camp but never used it. We used bug spray every night - some nights it didn't help and retreating to my tent was the only way to escape them. We each had a toilet bag with TP and a trowel for digging a "cat-hole". One Island we dubbed "Turd Island" for a the TP behind every tree, left by the power boater that party there each weekend. we also had two first aid bags, extra cordage. As the number of boats increases, so does the level of luxury you can bring - I figure each boat can carry gear for 1.5, and shared equipment saves the groups combined space. you can see some photos here. http://www.smugmug.com/gallery/n-qxFLj/i-8wXwbC3

MadMedic

Technical Responce Medic
I just treat it like a backpacking trip, taking what i would usually use; Stove, cook set, tent and sleeping equipment and food lots and lots of food.

I just sling a rucksack with waterproof liner and dry bags on my back over my buoyancy aid, with other small stuff under the deck of the kayak and stuff like a map and GPS unit on the deck infront of me.

iluv83vettes

Adventurer
Pretty much what rechaps158 said. I did a 3 day trip at Union Lake and we camped on the mainland one night and then on a small island on the lake the other two nights. I just dry bagged anything I didn't want to get wet and packed everything as evenly as possible. I do bike tours more than backpacking so we pretty much packed the same except that we brought more food and drinks. If we were camping in rougher waters we would have to cut down on things for sure. Paddling with two full coolers is not the greatest or easiest.

We brought two coolers because Beer. If it weren't for the beer we would have saved like 40 pounds.
9504473540_854df973ef_c.jpg

9501670191_c0c3228114_c.jpg

Looking at these pics makes me want to head back out there!
9504424152_0e644b0a0f_c.jpg

I have Ocean Kayak Prowler 13 as well. I look at it as a backpacking trip that you have to put stuff in dry bags to keep dry and bring along a cooler for beer.

I have done quite a few 2-3 day trips and I always seem to run out of beer first.

BillTex

Adventurer
What he said..."backpacking trip on the water"...

With the Scouts we use a 5 gal bucket w/lid for gear...its water tight and makes a good seat at night.

Flip a boat upside down at night to use as a table...

Everything will get wet if not well packaged...guaranteed

Canoes can fit a lot more gear than yaks...but I would rather paddle a yak...

east_tn_81

Adventurer
Thanks for the info. I have a perception kayak it is 13 feet long so I was getting worried about space . It seems with enough planning it is plausible.

robgendreau

Explorer
Be careful about lashing stuff on the deck. It can be awful in the wind and/or waves.

If the water is cold, stuff can stay reasonably cool packed against the bottom of the boat. We could keep veggies down there 5 days or so in BC if they weren't sitting in water.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier