If ever a thread needed pictures...door galley idea

Mwilliamshs

Explorer
I really need to draw this up (EDIT: scroll down) but I'm at work (3:44a local time) and wanted to document this idea before I lost it...okay so imagine a regular SMB door galley box mounted to the left-hand barn door of a Ford (not a sliding door, obviously). I want a two-burner stove (assume coleman-esque for now) on top of the box so it's at a normal counter height with doors shut whilst inside the van. Now open the side doors and this galley box changes in one of a variety of ways so that the stove is at a comfortable height for use standing outside the van. The simplest thing I can think of door box or shelf of sufficient depth for the stove sit atop (say 14" maybe) at about the base of the door window and a folding shelf maybe a foot to 18" inches below that for use when standing outside. To use: you're standing inside the van, (penthouse roof btw) picking up the stove (and probably releasing some stove-securing brackets or mounts to do so), folding the upper shelf (it'd be in the way when using the lower shelf), stepping outside, lowering a bottom shelf, then setting the stove on that. That's not exactly simple in my book, especially if you've started a pot of something to cooking inside then moving it outside. A more complicated idea for construction but simpler for actual day-to-day use would be a cabinet mounted to the door on locking drawer slides or some-such running vertically so the cabinet is at counter height when standing inside then slides down the 18" or so to use while standing on the ground. This is definitely more complicated to construct but to use it you could just open the door, step out, unlock the slides and slide-down the cabinet to its lower stop. Obviously you're basically lifting the weight of the cabinet, stove, and other contents but you're not picking up and holding the stove whilst folding shelves and stepping outside, etc. You could also have an actual cabinet here with things in it, rather taking up the entire door with two shelves that can't be used at the same time anyway. Am I crazy?

Last edited:

Mwilliamshs

Explorer
Question to support the insanity posted above: what's your floor height at your cargo doors on a 2wd Ford? My van's 80 miles away:eek:. While I'm away at school and working 80+ hrs a week means Art and I don't see much of one another these days. Looking at pictures of it and scaling from that I'm gonna guess the floor height (the floor, like between rear fenderwells, not the step-in height, like just inside the front or side doors) is about 24". The floor is about even with the lower body line (not the bottom edge of the rocker panels, but rather the line above that where Fords either have some aluminum trim like mine or a design relief on the newer ones) I think and that line on my van with ~28" tall 235/75-15s is about 3-4 inches below the top of the tires. Close enough for government work...why do I care? The height of the van floor measured from the ground should dictate (approximately) the distance between the two stove heights. If you're standing outside and the stove is at 35" (my personal worktop preference) above the ground [position A], it should also be approximately 35" above the van floor when using it inside [position B] so the difference between A and B is the distance between the ground and the van floor. This is also the distance a cabinet would need to slide up and down if used as described in previous post. Obviously if there was some immovable obstruction in the way, like in the frame of the door there was a brace or whatever you'd have to adjust the dimensions or design to allow for that. Furthermore, the higher from the ground your floor, the more difficult this moving cabinet idea becomes. If you have 36" tires and the van floor is 2" above that (it would need to be, at a minimum) you now need ~12" more cabinet travel than I do with my 28" tires. Eventually the two heights (36" from ground and 36" from van floor, separated by a distance ~ that between the ground and the van floor) will exceed available real estate of the door itself if tires get too big.

Last edited:

Mwilliamshs

Explorer

Please forgive my 4am hospital cafeteria napkin artwork and childish penmanship LOL

The darkened portions show the drawerslide extended into the down (use outside) position while the hashed-lines show the cabinet's outline in the upper (use inside) position, where they'd be locked until lowering was needed. I'd probably also recess the cabinet top so the stove was surrounded on 3 or even 4 sides (depends on stove model selected) so a top could be fitted to the cabinet for additional counterspace when not cooking. Maybe even make this top removable/reversible to serve multiple purposes: checkerboard, plastic cutting board, etc.

The weight of the cabinet could easily get out of hand for lifting especially if it got filled with pots and pans, utensils, etc. If weight was no concern I think this cabinet would be the most natural place for those things to be kept, right under the stove. If I move ahead with this plan such things must be considered and this cabinet would be a wiser place for light, bulky items or things you'd rarely put away (window shades maybe) but I think could be a great spot for something that would always be removed before you'd want to setup outside (ground cloth, awning lights, etc). At roughly 36" tall by 15" deep and the same width as the van door, this is a real nice sized cabinet, especially when I think of how easily it could be replaced with just 2 shelves that like I said, couldn't both be used simultaneously anyway! I think a little flip-up table on the side of the cabinet would be slick. When inside it would raise toward the passenger seat (could be handy as a desk if the seat was swiveled to the rear) and when outside it would raise toward the rear of the van and provide extra counter space, joined to and level with the stove.

Cabinet would be the perfect place for fire extinguisher. Right by the stove, and moves with it even so if you're outside cooking, it is too.

Last edited:

screwball48

Explorer
Gas struts could be used so that the cabinet would not slam down when being lowered. Those same struts could also assist when lifting the cabinet back to the travel position.

spencyg

This Space For Rent
Your brain works better at 3am than mine does. I would have only been able to document this in a drool painting. :drool:

The counter top height in my van is just at the lower edge of the barn door windows. I don't think Ford made many flavors for window configurations, so I suspect our windows are nearly identical. The counter height is appropriate for me to do cooking and dish duty without undue back spasms and I'm around 6 ft tall. Iacelike both of your solutions so I think for me it comes down to what you need. If you just need a horizontal surface to put the stove when either cooking inside or "outside", solution #1 would be the ticket. Solution #2 comes into play if you could use the additional storage space with the fancy lowering cabinet. The only issue I see with #2 aside from the added complexity of construction and inherent gain in weight is that a heavy cabinet wouldn't be fun to lift up and down. Gas struts would be the obvious solution, but they are set to a specific weight, which would make loading a cabinet up with food stuff or other nick-knacks a little tricky (if the goal would be to maintain a neutral balance). I do like the idea of convertible height, as using the stove top in Boomer really adds a lot of heat and moisture into the cabin. The idea of being able to use the same stove inside and outside is a good one. Go to sleep!

SG

Mwilliamshs

Explorer
Thanks for the input folks! I feel less crazy now. Our windows are exactly the same height (relative to van floor), spencyg, as we have the same era of van. I'd thought of gas struts but think the proper construction (skin and bones style probably) and loading techniques (no heavy stuff inside or only store things that naturally get removed before cooking starts) could make them unnecessary. I also thought of shrinking the cabinet "body" width beneath the counter top so the fire extinguisher fits on the outside left side of the cabinet. That'll make it lighter both by being a smaller box (less material) and by allowing less stuff to be stuffed inside, in addition to improving fire extinguisher access. I'll probably draw this up too

Last edited:

vwteleman

Observer
Are you saying you want the ability to adjust the height of the stove, while cooking, from inside height to outside height? How often do you envision that happening? For me, in almost 20 years of owning vans, I've never felt the need to do that, and I think it would be very dangerous to move a hot pot of water while still on the stove. Apologies if I've misunderstood your intentions here.

In rereading your first post, I guess you're also trying to make it easier just to move your stove between different locations? I think a standard, simple galley box would suit your purposes most of the time without the added complexity and/or weight of a system involving struts or drawer slides. I have a GTRV with a galley box similar to SMB's offerings, and it has two fold-out table tops that can be deployed when the side door is open, with plenty of room for a stove.

Side door cabinet - open.jpg

Inside, I don't use the side door galley for cooking, as it is too low (in my opinion) and narrow compared to the space I have on top of my fridge. This pic kinda shows the relative heights (fridge cabinet in foreground on right); I don't know the actual heights as I'm not currently near my van.

Side door cabinet.jpg

Don't get me wrong, I love to see all the innovative and cool designs on this forum, but I can't help but think this is a solution in search of a problem.

Cheers,
Brent

Mwilliamshs

Explorer
Brent pics of door galley boxes are hard to find. I feel very strongly Sportsmobile discourages them being shared, especially in the smb4um. Thanks for sharing yours, please leave it up. I like that design.

When inside I could see both that box being too short to cook on (especially if the stove gets recessed below its top) and that making it taller would block the window. The window and stove being so close together is my main reason for choosing that location and raising the stove to a usable height is of no use if it blocks the window (mine open). My existing side windows are further back than I'd like and not where I want my kitchen. Moving a lit stove with a hot pot on top is not my intention but I'd not hesitate to set the pot off the stove (which would be secured to the cabinet) onto a hotplate, move the stove (open door, release slide latch) then move the pot back. That wouldn't be ideal or super simple but it's still better than the alternative I discussed before (carrying a hot pot and lit stove outside and unlatching a shelf to sit them on).

I think I'll mock up your design with some variations: folding side table, narrower body to fit fire extinguisher on its side, etc. Thanks for sharing!

Last edited:

vwteleman

Observer
Glad I can help. Here's recent pic of how we usually use the cabinet, with just the front drop-down table in use. The rear drop-down table requires the right side of the galley to be unlatched from the door and then the galley is swung 90° on hinges on the left side.

Side door cabinet - recent.jpg

Cheers,
Brent

tgreening

Expedition Leader
Don't get me wrong, I love to see all the innovative and cool designs on this forum, but I can't help but think this is a solution in search of a problem.

Cheers,
Brent

Much like a bow tie, sometimes a thing needs to be done just because it's cool. :)

Mwilliamshs

Explorer
Point taken but bowties are dumb. I wore them a bunch for debates and such until the people that used to hate them (out loud) started wearing them to be "cool." Like my mint 12 year old North Face jacket that I no longer wear. Skinny jeans? Never cool.

I'm kidding, sorta :snorkel:

Last edited:

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
On my 2WD Ford E-250 the height is 19" from ground to step, and another 5" to the floor.

Toolman

Explorer
I like the top on your van. I did not know they made such a top. GTRV Pop Top for EB ? Maybe it's the top SMB doesn't want us to see. Please post more pics of the top. Nice van I like the galley box gives me a couple of ideas.

Mwilliamshs

Explorer
I like the top on your van. I did not know they made such a top. GTRV Pop Top for EB ? Maybe it's the top SMB doesn't want us to see. Please post more pics of the top.

Toolman, not to be all Taxi Driver about it but are you talking to me? My van just has a plain old Sportsmobile Penthouse top on it. Tons of pics on their site, and much better than I can take! http://www.sportsmobile.com/1_penthouse-top.html

If that question was addressed to vwteleman, his signature in each post ("2008 E350 EB, V10, GTRV Conversion") states his van has a GTRV conversion. His particular model is the T-Top, described here: http://www.gtrv.com/tops lots of pics on their site too, but none on that particular page...

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94