TC recommendations from these

gcornell

We are national and state forest campers looking for a durable, reliable truck camper for the two of us that can handle a lot of fire and forest roads. We want to keep our purchase to under $20k and are in VA.
Current Choices on the table are:
A. New Palomino Backpack 8801 w/torq lift and airbags installed from local dealer
B. New Palomino Backpack 8801 from wholesaler in Midwest
C. New Wolf Creek stretching budget over 20k a bit from New England dealer
D. Used 2010 Northstar Laredo SC
Recommendations?

ripperj

Explorer
Northstar have a great reputation for a quality wood frame camper. The wolf creek is a less expensive version from Artic Fox, has thinner walls ect, but is probably still nice , I have looked at dozens of Northstars and would take the used one over a Palomino any day, but truthfully all the Palominos I have seen were older popups ,so my view is probably distorted, but they are a lower end brand
I guess it boils down to the condition of the Northstar. Being wood framed with a normal roof, it needs sealing fairly often to keep it dry, so I would look hard at the condition of all the joints

Maninga

Adventurer
I lasted about 2 minutes in a palmino before walking out, they're cheap and I thought they looked it. North Star are a better option, also check out Four Wheel Campers and Northern Lite. For 20k you should be able to find a good used one.

orangeTJ

Explorer
No recommendations on the camper, but I wouldn't settle for anything other that Torklift tiedowns and Fastguns.

rotti

Adventurer
I lasted about 2 minutes in a palmino before walking out, they're cheap and I thought they looked it. North Star are a better option, also check out Four Wheel Campers and Northern Lite. For 20k you should be able to find a good used one.
X2

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke