1990 w250 cummins build

braap736

Observer
Bought a 1990 w250 cummins 2 days ago that had the typical dodge rust with the drivers cab mount pretty much gone and the floor hanging. Only 145k so the truck sat a lot in a barn which im guessing rotted the cab out. So far the front/rear diff covers and fluid had been changed, remaned ve pump, new fuel pump, new brake lines/brakes, and tranny/ t-case fluids changed. All this was done by the previous owner. Also was told kdp had been done but i might check that myself for peace of mind. Anyway heres pics of it...

braap736

Observer
Getting ready to pull the cab off. To keep the truck from rolling out into the road i used the ford to control it coming out of the garage down the driveway...

There was just two of us and our plan was to pick the cab up and work our way off the back of the frame but it was too heavy/ackward to get past the fuel tank/ sending unit. So we decided to just tip it off the side....

braap736

Observer
My plans are to find a cheap southern truck with a clean body and just swap the cab and bed over. Ive been told to find either 4wd or 2wd w/ manual trans so that the trans tunnel is the same. But first im going to clean up the frame as good as possible with a wire brush and use rustoleom spray paint that coats over rust followed by tractor supply chassis paint that brushes on real thick. Also the truck rides like ******t so im going to order soft ride deavers front and rear with maybe 2-4"s of lift. Ill probably put those on before i put the cab/bed on.

Is there anything else i should do while its down to this point? As far as the engine goes I really only want to turn the pump up enough to where the stock turbo is still efficient with a load.

mallthus

Pretty good at some stuff
Were it my truck, I'd try and find an extended cab for it. But it's not my truck, so my question is, what is your vision for its use? Are you planning on doing a camper, or are you planning to build it as a trail rig?

By my math, with the Cummins, you'll still be ok with 35"s. It'll be a bit slow off the line, but you'll like it better at highway speeds. I'd upgrade to an HD torque converter with a high stall speed though.

braap736

Observer
Its going to be more of a trail/ firewood truck. I have a crew cab duramax for trips out of town but we may use this depending on the ride after putting better leaf springs in it. Will a high stall converter the trans with 35" tires when taking off?

1meanz

Mullet Club Chairman
I'm no expert, but the stock automatic transmisions are junk in these. I don't think the stock trans is going to like 3.08 gear with 35s, even if the engine can do it. I'd highly recommend a NV4500 swap and a set of 3.73 gears.

Simons

Adventurer
With any luck you might find a 3/4 ton "cheap southern truck" that may come with 3.90 gears in it.

Shocker

VanDOOM!
I'm no expert, but the stock automatic transmisions are junk in these. I don't think the stock trans is going to like 3.08 gear with 35s, even if the engine can do it. I'd highly recommend a NV4500 swap and a set of 3.73 gears.

The transmission should be the 727 3 speed auto. Bulletproof transmission by all accounts. Personally I would look at changing to the 4 speed auto with necessary upgrades. Get that OD working for you and bump up the gears.

braap736

Observer
yea it seems the 518 is just about a bolt in swap that will give me o/d but changing gears i dont think is so simple with the dana 61 axle. Ill probably just try it out and see how it goes, this trans shifts so good as is and the fluid looks great so i hate to ditch it without giving it a try. I used to have a 98 12v with 3.55 gears and ran 35's no problem so maybe ill try 33's first with these 3.08 gears.

Truck Guy99

Looks like potential. Yes those dodge autos are horrible in stock form. If you build them right they are great but until then they're worthless. Looks like you'll be hauling with it so have you considered a dually swap? It's a bolt on deal so it'd only be an afternoon project and it'd look good IMO

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne