Awning, pop-up canopy, tents, or plain ole tarps for off-road/camping? Preferences?

RagnarD

Adventurer
I also use tarps. They are much cheaper and can be used for other things. I recently upgraded from a canvas tarp to am 18 oz vinyl.

Seems like most of the awnings I see poster are horizontal or slope back towards the vehicle which seems like an issue in rain.

My current set up. The tarp is 12x14 so I can rotate it depending on the need. When just hanging over the rack/roof, it completely encloses the trailer. If I leave the ridge line, it still covers the sides but leaves the ends open.

I plan to make some telescoping poles soon.

i-t2XcHMR-L.jpg

workingonit71

Aspirantes ad Adventure
TARP (FOR NOW) !!

I also use tarps. They are much cheaper and can be used for other things. I recently upgraded from a canvas tarp to am 18 oz vinyl.

Seems like most of the awnings I see poster are horizontal or slope back towards the vehicle which seems like an issue in rain.

My current set up. The tarp is 12x14 so I can rotate it depending on the need. When just hanging over the rack/roof, it completely encloses the trailer. If I leave the ridge line, it still covers the sides but leaves the ends open.

I plan to make some telescoping poles soon.

i-t2XcHMR-L.jpg
Thanks all; I learned from your experiences, and being a make-it-myself person, and too cheap to buy a $500-1500 bag awning, at this time,for the time being, I think I'll use a tarp similar to RagnarD, an 18-ounce vinyl tarp, 8'x12' (waterproof,UV resistant), hooked to one side, run over the trailer topside, and attached to poles reaching out from the opposite trailer side. Changes from my initial plan are: 1) scrap the rollers (I'll use a "pool noodle" to prevent contact with the roof edge),2) use two posts (removable, but attached at camp) mounted to thru-wall studs, to suspend a rope about 12" above the opposite side, to raise the height to 84" above the primary door (also creates more/quicker drainage), and 3) use "flagpole mounts" to secure the posts (also with a rope strung between them) to terminate the awning. I am currently shopping locally for the right tarp, but will probably get one I've found online for $63 (gray or silver). I already have the rest of the hardware, but not the time to install it yet (busy season at work; away from home 120 hours/wk). It took me three weeks to get the time to design/procure parts for/install a hatch lift support! I can stow the tarp and attaching gear in a small space, and probably will be able to erect/takedown in 5 minutes. But, I will still carry along the canopy and two side-tents, JIC.

PlethoraOfGuns

Adventurer
Having a tarp off the vehicle I have found to not be very durable during inclement weather, so I have been using an EZ-Up tent to give the tarp some rigidity. I am going to try to attach an awning to the back of my rig because A, they are more rigid than a tarp, and B,I believe they are a whole lot more convenient to set up.
image.jpg

dvsjw

Observer
We have 2 Foxwings and a Kelty Noah tarp for our teardrop. I like the tarp in bad weather and for privacy. The Foxwing is preferred where it it is calm with a light rain or the hot sun.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bad Taste